Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 22 Dec 2009 (Tuesday) 12:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

I it a lens or a lense?

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
Dec 22, 2009 12:05 |  #1

I notice that some people use one spelling and some another.

Lense gets flagged by my version of Word. But if you look it up, you find ...

drum roll please ...

It' could be both!

Merriem Websters does not recognize "lense".

Dictionary.com does. Thefreedictionary.com does.

Yourdictionary.com does not.

Cambridge does not.

Websters-online calls "lense": "LENSE" is a common misspelling or typo for: Lease, Lens, Lenses, Lese, Lines

So that's two for and a bunch against.

Hey, it's lunchtime and I'm on the South Beach Diet. So I'm done eating. Got nothing else to do for an hour.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

sponsored links
advaitin
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
The Fun Coast of Florida
Dec 22, 2009 12:08 |  #2

So many people misuse the language that it becomes accepted by some lexicographers, but I think that having a reference to its misuse does not necessarily condone the usage. It should always be "lens" singular and "lenses" plural.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,184 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jan 2007
Detroit, MI
Dec 22, 2009 12:09 |  #3

Lens is correct. A few dictionaries will allow 'lense', but it is telling that many either do not list it or note it to be incorrect.

Adding to your list, I believe the Oxford cites 'lens' as correct.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII

GSH
"wetter than an otter's pocket"
3,937 posts
Joined Nov 2004
NE England.
Dec 22, 2009 12:12 |  #4

It is Lens.

Here endeth the (English) lesson.

Geoff www.bhppix.co.ukexternal link

JelleVerherstraeten
Goldmember
2,440 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Antwerp, Belgium
Dec 22, 2009 12:12 |  #5

I think on a forum about photography, people will understand what they are talking about ;-)a.

But it's a strange thing why some dictionaries use it and others not..

-Jelle l Gear l Website (external link) l

Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Royal Tunbridge Wells, UK
Dec 22, 2009 12:13 |  #6

Just because you take the "s" off of "lenses" to make it singular doesn't make "lense" a word. But anyway, we all know what you're talking about and most people here don't have English as their first language so no-one minds.

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitterexternal link | Tunbridge Wellsexternal link | Flickrexternal link

TSY87
637 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Dec 22, 2009 12:16 |  #7

it appears to me that based off of your research, the free online only dictionaries are the only ones that "allow" it.

"lense" is not the correct spelling, and honestly, just because people commonly misspell the word doesn't justify it being "added" into dictionaries as a correct form of the word.

D700 Gripped, Nikkor 20 2.8D, Sigma 50 1.4, Rokinon 85 1.4, Nikkor 105 2.8 Micro VR, Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VR2, SB-900
Myflickrexternal link

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,566 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Utah, USA
Dec 22, 2009 12:26 |  #8

I would bet 90% of current "correct" English is derived from formerly misspelled words. Languages evolve and change.

With texting becoming the primary mode of communications, in 30 years there will be a post like:

"DNT U NO tht LENS s not a WRD - Its 'LNS' - LOL!"

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

rvdw98
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Netherlands
Dec 22, 2009 12:26 |  #9

It will get a lot weirder if dictionaries keep adopting misspellings. More than once I've come across posts referring to a "len" (singular) and "lens" (plural). And those terms were used consistently throughout the poster's history, so they were not just one-off typos.

At least "Lense" and "lens" are still pronounced the same way, but a "len"? :rolleyes:

Roy

GSH
"wetter than an otter's pocket"
3,937 posts
Joined Nov 2004
NE England.
Dec 22, 2009 12:30 |  #10

tkbslc wrote in post #9245506external link
I would bet 90% of current "correct" English is derived from formerly misspelled words. Languages evolve and change.

With texting becoming the primary mode of communications, in 30 years there will be a post like:

"DNT U NO tht LENS s not a WRD - Its 'LNS' - LOL!"

At that time i will happily volunteer as a mod and dish out bans like confetti at a wedding :D

Geoff www.bhppix.co.ukexternal link

HoosierJoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
Dec 22, 2009 12:58 |  #11

advaitin wrote in post #9245411external link
So many people misuse the language that it becomes accepted by some lexicographers, but I think that having a reference to its misuse does not necessarily condone the usage. It should always be "lens" singular and "lenses" plural.

pej⋅o⋅ra⋅tion  [pej-uh-rey-shuhn, pee-juh-] Show IPA
–noun
1. depreciation; a lessening in worth, quality, etc.
2. Historical Linguistics. semantic change in a word to a lower, less approved, or less respectable meaning. Compare melioration (def. 1).

That addresses the phenomenon of word change meaning over time. Not sure what addresses word spelling changes. But according to Encyclopdeia.com "Although the pronunciation of English has changed greatly since the 15th cent., the spelling of English words has altered very little..."

So, it looks like it is "lens", like it or not!

HoosierJoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
Central Indiana
Dec 22, 2009 13:00 |  #12

rvdw98 wrote in post #9245509external link
It will get a lot weirder if dictionaries keep adopting misspellings. More than once I've come across posts referring to a "len" (singular) and "lens" (plural). And those terms were used consistently throughout the poster's history, so they were not just one-off typos.

At least "Lense" and "lens" are still pronounced the same way, but a "len"? :rolleyes:

Wish I had 50 cent for every time I saw that.

elContrarian
94 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Dec 22, 2009 13:02 |  #13
banned

Some dictionaries would say that you can use lens and lense interchangeably. It is partially true.

If you're talking about a single glass element, then it's either lens or lense, though lens is preferred.
If you're talking about photography, then a tube with many glass elements, it's a lens. Never a lense.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,184 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jan 2007
Detroit, MI
Dec 22, 2009 13:03 |  #14

HoosierJoe wrote in post #9245694external link
That addresses the phenomenon of word change meaning over time. Not sure what addresses word spelling changes. But according to Encyclopdeia.com "Although the pronunciation of English has changed greatly since the 15th cent., the spelling of English words has altered very little..."

So, it looks like it is "lens", like it or not!

The language changes as new words are taken from other languages or invented new, not from people spelling stuff wrong.

You can 'Google' that to use a verb that has entered the language of late.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII

scepticswe
234 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Dec 22, 2009 13:08 |  #15

As pointed out, languages continuously evolve. I´m sure that in "Ye Olde" books on optics, the word lens may very well have been spelled differently than today. On topic, I also agree that the word "lense" is simply wrong and should not be used. After all, most words tend to evolve into simpler ones ("olde" changed to "old"); "lense" and "lens" would be the other way around.

For the die-hard purists out there, I recommend the Dictionary of Old Englishexternal link

EOS 500D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM, Sigma AF 70mm f/2.8 EX DG macro

sponsored links

2,851 views & 0 likes for this thread
I it a lens or a lense?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.