Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th of December 2009 (Sun)   #1
shaftmaster

Default Hoya UV(O) and UV(C) filters -- what's the difference?

I recently purchased a couple Hoya HMC UV filters online. I thought I was getting HMC UV(O) filters but was shipped HMC UV(C) filters. I checked the Hoya web-site, this forum, and also did a Google search but couldn't find anything to explain how a UV(O) filter differs from a UV(C) filter. Anybody know the difference? Should I return the UV(C) filters and ask for replacement UV(O) filters?

Thanks!

Gear -- Flickr
shaftmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 27th of December 2009 (Sun)   #2
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Default Re: Hoya UV(O) and UV(C) filters -- what's the difference?

I infer from what Google turns up that UV(C) may be what it's called outside the US. Note - I infer this; I can't find a positive statement of the fact. Possibly your vendor imported the filters on his own for less than it would have cost to have gotten the "official" ones from THK, the US marketing arm of Tokina-Hoya-Kenko.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules
and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of December 2009 (Mon)   #3
shaftmaster

Thanks Jon. I will see if I can dig up any more information.

Gear -- Flickr
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 26th of April 2010 (Mon)   #4
ejicon

Good question. I just bought one and was thinking the same thing. In some countries C can also refer to Zero as in Cero which is Spanish for Zero.

oh and found this:

"xthunder, I just received a shipment of filters from Spotlight Photo, a company that I have been buying filters from for the past 6 years. The Hoya HMC UV(0) have now been replaced by Hoya HMC UV(C) filters. Slim frame, multicoated. The UV(0) no longer made (except where old stock is left) and now replaced by the UV(C). Same filter, now says Digital on the left side top of box compared to the old box I have. Also the older UV(0) box shows the filters were made by Tokina Ltd. in Japan. The new UV(C) boxes show made in the Phillipines by Tokina Ltd.

Hope this helps.
Best Wishes!"

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...33&postcount=5

Last edited by ejicon : 26th of April 2010 (Mon) at 21:14.
ejicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of June 2010 (Tue)   #5
Revup67

I just spoke with Glenn in support at Hoya regarding this same issue (O) vs (C). Glenn stated physically the (C) series is a slimmer design than the (O) and that is to reduce vignetting even further and that is the only difference betwen O and C. Technically they will provide the exact same results and are the exact same quality. I had asked what the "O" or Zero represented and also the (C). He stated Japan has never advised him as to what the symbols reflected. I asked is it possible the (O) is for Original and the (C) is for compact? He stated he had never heard that before and probably just a rumour. You can call any time for more info or verification at hoyafilters.com - I called their 714 phone number.
Revup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of August 2010 (Mon)   #6
Brand's Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revup67 View Post
I just spoke with Glenn in support at Hoya regarding this same issue (O) vs (C). Glenn stated physically the (C) series is a slimmer design than the (O) and that is to reduce vignetting even further and that is the only difference betwen O and C. Technically they will provide the exact same results and are the exact same quality. I had asked what the "O" or Zero represented and also the (C). He stated Japan has never advised him as to what the symbols reflected. I asked is it possible the (O) is for Original and the (C) is for compact? He stated he had never heard that before and probably just a rumour. You can call any time for more info or verification at hoyafilters.com - I called their 714 phone number.
I just got one of each (O) and (C) Hoya UV filter. Positioned next to each other I see no difference.
Brand's Camera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of July 2011 (Fri)   #7
nonobaddog

I believe this filter difference calls for a bit of caution. I'm sorry this is so long but my experiences below certainly cleared up some things in my mind.

I did not know the difference in these filters except I could usually find the HMC UV(C) version cheaper than the HMC UV(0) version, that is when I could even find both versions for sale. Also I saw a filter test at http://lenstip.com/113.1-article-UV_filters_test.html and that made me think the HMC UV(0) was the filter I wanted. I am most interested in filtering out the most ultraviolet frequencies right up to 390nm or 400nm where the visible light starts so the frequency transmission charts in their tests were very revealing for me.

I went to the Hoya web site at http://www.hoyafilter.com/ They listed an email address for USA support at support@thkphoto.com I sent an email asking what the difference in these filters is. They seemed quite willing to help. I received a prompt reply from Glenn Nash saying...
"The HMC UV(0) has the UV protection in the glass, the HMC UV(C) has the UV protection in the multi-coatings."
Now I decided the HMC UV(0) was definitely the one I wanted.

I ordered a Hoya HMC UV filter from Crutchfield on 6/21/2011 for what seemed to be a pretty good price. In the text of the description it did not state which version the filter was but the picture of the item 'Very Clearly Showed' it was an HMC UV(0). So I ordered it thinking I was getting an HMC UV(0) filter but they sent an HMC UV(C) filter. I called them and they said to return it and they would send the HMC UV(0). After several days I received a phone call saying they only have the HMC UV(C) version and that it replaced the HMC UV(0) version. I didn't totally buy this so I went to the Hoya on line catalog and I could only find the HMC UV(0) version and no mention of the HMC UV(C) version, not sure what that means, maybe I just didn't find it. I told Crutchfield over the phone that their web site clearly showed the HMC UV(0) version in the item picture. They said again they did not have it and to return mine. I checked their site for other Hoya HMC UV filters and found more cases where the text did not say which version it was but the picture 'Very Clearly Showed' the item to be an HMC UV(0). This was true for the size I ordered, 77mm, and it was also true for 82mm, 72mm, 67mm, 62mm, 58mm and 52mm. I didn't check any smaller sizes. This has not been corrected as of 7/15/2011. I don't know which version they would send for these other sizes but I certainly do not believe the HMC UV(C) version is replacing the HMC UV(0) version. I believe the HMC UV(C) version is a cheaper filter - this is my personal opinion. I didn't bother to dig any further. I will just order my filter from another source. However I do know that searching will find quite a few instances of people ordering HMC UV(0) filters and receiving HMC UV(C) filters instead. One might think these are just honest mistakes but I could not find one instance of anyone ordering an HMC UV(C) filter and receiving an HMC UV(0) filter. Go figure.
Personally I would not tolerate any substituting of HMC UV(C) filters for HMC UV(0) filters.
nonobaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of July 2011 (Tue)   #8
shaftmaster

Sounds like (O) means optics and (C) means coating. I don't worry about how well a UV filter blocks UV since UV doesn't negatively affect digital images like it does film from what I understand. Assuming that's true, then the only thing to worry about when buying a UV filter for use with digital cameras is how it affects the image quality (light transmission, flare, contrast, sharpness, etc.).

Gear -- Flickr
Old 19th of July 2011 (Tue)   #9
nonobaddog

This is all my opinion but I am still concerned about UV because I am not willing to accept the digital camera immunity to UV as a universal truth. I don’t believe it is that simple.

The UV spectrum goes from a wavelength of about 1 to 5 nm on the high energy end to about 390 nm on the low energy end and then visible light starts. The camera sensors themselves are very capable of detecting UV over a good chunk of that range, maybe from about 200 nm to 390 nm. (All these frequency cutoffs are typically gradual rather than real sharp steps.)
I think there are potentially 4 things that block that undesirable UV.
1 – an internal UV filter on the sensor or right in front of it
2 – the glass in the lens
3 – the coatings on the glass in the lens
4 – an external UV filter on the lens

#1 is a variable that has the potential to block most or even all undesirable UV. Whether it does or not is up to the sensor/camera manufacturer. Some cameras are more ‘UV friendly’ than others, the Nikon D70 is frequently mentioned.
#2 there are many types and qualities of glass with a wide variety of UV blocking properties. I have heard this frequently but to simply say glass blocks UV is na´ve at best. However the optical glass in most camera lenses will block UV up to about 300 nm or 320 nm. There are glass lenses designed for UV photography that pass a lot more UV.
#3 is a variable that has the potential to block most or even all undesirable UV. Whether they do or not is up to the lens manufacturer. Some lens coatings are more ‘UV friendly’ than others. I hear there are some lenses that actually don’t have coatings, but I don’t know anything about them.
#4 is a variable that has the potential to block most or even all undesirable UV. Whether it does or not is up to the filter manufacturer.

So the UV in the 320 nm to 390 nm range is the area of my interest. This is in the UVA range and will affect the sensor if not blocked somewhere. I would guess that most camera/lens combinations block some portion of this, maybe a lot if I am lucky. Now add a UV filter that doesn’t help by blocking any more UV, there seems to be plenty of these regardless of price, and that is wonderful evidence for people that don’t like UV filters. It’s all logical and correct for them but it may not apply to the next bloke.

For me, #4 above is really the only one I have a lot of control over so I just add a filter that tests well at blocking UV up to 390 nm and I forget about it. (I went by the tests at lenstip.) I automatically get lens protection too. If I ever feel that the filter is causing flare or other problems for a shot, well I know how to take it off.
Old 4th of August 2011 (Thu)   #10
nonobaddog

In addition to the Crutchfield purchase mentioned above, I bought a Hoya filter from B&H. It was titled "77mm Ultraviolet UV(0) Haze Multicoated Filter". Their 'Overview' describes it as a UV(0) filter. Their 'Specifications' lists Grade as UV(0). And then they sent a UV(C) filter. I called them and Isaac said they were the same filter and his supervisor, Aaron said they were the same filter. I asked them why they clearly advertised it as UV(0) if they knew it was a UV(C). They said the manufacturers' code, A77UVC, means it is a UV(C). Pretty lame. They seemed like it was perfectly acceptable to have a conflict between the description and the manufacturers' code and put the burden on the customer to try to find out what the manufacturers code means. Oh and then one has to guess which item you are actually going to receive, the item in the description or the item in the code. I sent it back.
Old 17th of November 2011 (Thu)   #11
nakiege

At the end, I found out the difference between UV(0) and UV(c) filters at Hoya web site.

I also found the comparison chart between UV(0) and UV(c) on the Hoya Catalog Page 56. It is obvious that UV(0) cuts more UV than UV(C) does.

You can download the catalog from here, to read more.
www.hoyafilter.com/pdf/HOYACatalog.pdf
nakiege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of November 2011 (Thu)   #12
Wilt
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakiege View Post
At the end, I found out the difference between UV(0) and UV(c) filters at Hoya web site.

I also found the comparison chart between UV(0) and UV(c) on the Hoya Catalog Page 56. It is obvious that UV(0) cuts more UV than UV(C) does.

You can download the catalog from here, to read more.
www.hoyafilter.com/pdf/HOYACatalog.pdf

It is also worth pointing out the the Hoya HMC (which is muticoated, but not super multicoated) is the lower performance UV(C), while both the HD and the SHMC use the UV(0)...in other words 'less expensive' = C, 'more expensive = 0 filter.
Old 27th of February 2012 (Mon)   #13
Stein47

The difference is explained by the we page attached
www.hoyafilter.com/products/hoya/coatings.html
Hope this helps
Stein47
Stein47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of July 2013 (Wed)   #14
Nomad77

Canon 5D ISO 200 F8 1/200 100mm 24-105 L

http://shout.smugmug.com/Other/Lens-...m5Dxt&lb=1&s=O

UV(0) has better detail. C = UV is coated to the glass 0 = UV is built into the glass
Nomad77 is offline   Reply With Quote