Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th of August 2010 (Thu)   #46
winam

Default Re: -=Post Your Camera Hacks=- Mods, Cobbles, and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattL View Post
It would be great, if that would work with the Iphone as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac View Post
RS60-E3 Extension Cord.

If you want to get farther away from the camera but don't want to use the RC-1 IR remote the RS60 remote is kind of short. I have on several occasions wanted to do this and still be behind the camera and out of the frame. To solve this problem I took my RS60 with me to my local Radio Shack (an electronic parts store here in the states). For about $17 with tax I picked up the adapters and cord to give myself a 20-foot extension cord. All you need are 1.) 274-397 Audio adapter 3/32" to 1/8" 1.) 274-373 Audio adapter 1/8" to 3/32" and 1.) 42-2562 20FT stereo headphone extension cord. The 3/32" to 1/*" plugs in to the camera's remote jack, then plug the extension cord into that, then plug the 1/8" to 3/32" into the extension cord, and finally the RS60 into that.
Great work. I'll try it myself.

http://www.rene-photography.de/
Please take a look at my Review for the awesome Daminion Server DAM-System
winam is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of November 2010 (Fri)   #47
mollylev

There's some really helpful information here. Thanks to all for sharing. Happy shooting.
Old 30th of December 2010 (Thu)   #48
AntonLargiader

I have a remote trigger with a 1/8" mono (not stereo) connector that came with a camera/binocular. Very simple 1-button dongle. When I use this with the T2i I get the shutter release but not the effect of the half-press (which the third ring would signal).

This might be useful for situations where you don't want (or don't care about) the effect of half-press. For instance, shooting a fixed spot using a tripod. No risk of AF or metering jumping in. If you want to make a trigger yourself, you can use the stereo version but just ignore the first switch that works for the half-press. However, there are many mono cables out there waiting to be cannibalized for such a use.
Old 6th of April 2011 (Wed)   #49
ZoneV

I do a lot of camera and lens modifications - most documented on my website (some in English too):
- Canon FD to EF mount conversions of FD20/2.8, FD 85/1.2L, FD 100/4, FD 300/2.8L, FD 400/2.8L, FD 500/4.5L
- Canon FD lens as a tilt lens for crop cameras
- Minolta Rokkor to EF mount conversions for 58/1.2 and 35/1.8
- Samyang 14/2.8 focus corrrection and filters
- "Infrared" camera invention realized on EOS Rebel XT - exchangeable filters with bright viewfinder
- Short 8 mm manual extension tube
- Fungus cleaning on some lenses and fungus primer
- Tripod repair: Monostat and Cullmann Magic
- Camera repair tools
- Some camera repair
- Some large format tinker jobs

Additional you find on my website "The Heaven and Hell for Photo Tinkerer" - a link directory with more than 1000 DIY links, I work on bigger update.
Old 4th of July 2011 (Mon)   #50
ZoneV

New own DIY work:
Canon EOS 1000D / Rebel XS / EOS Kiss F SD card slot repair
Vivitar 135mm/2.8 CF mount change
Short manual 8mm Canon EF extension tube, especially for use with shorter focal lengths
Extension tubes vignetting optimization

Last edited by ZoneV : 29th of June 2013 (Sat) at 06:22.
ZoneV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of July 2011 (Sat)   #51
quiksquirrel

Posted this in the flash section of the forum, but realized that it should really be in this thread.

DIY flash cord

I have seen this sort of thing done quite a few times, but it always tend to have a very "homemade look". Function is of course the important part, but I wanted to make something that also looks nice.

Since posting the photos, I have been working on the last details, such as hiding seams and generally cleaning it up a bit.

I should have taken some photos of the process, but didn't think of it. If anyone want's any info on how to do this, let me know.
In any case, I hope that someone finds this useful
quiksquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of August 2011 (Wed)   #52
adamjug

This is cool . . do you have any hacks for Canon EOS 500D? like using itouch for remote on shuttertnx
Old 19th of August 2011 (Fri)   #53
D. Vance
Goldmember

Not sure if it belongs here, but:
The software that comes with Canon DSLRs (EOS Utility) can be used to remote control the camera. The problem comes when the USB cord is way to short for what you need. We had found a Whip-Poor-Will nest on my granddad's place, way back in the laurel. Places where people don't like to go, much less cameras. We wanted a picture of her coming back to her nest, but we couldnt be too close. So, I found a USB cord on eBay for around $20. (but if you try it, make sure you get an active repeater cable). I bought two 50' cords, which allowed me to go 100' away, hook up to my laptop, and still adjust focus, Fstop, shutter, ISO, WB, picture style, and quality, and since the pics came in on my laptop right away, I could see what I was doing wrong/right, and adjust. Very handy little tool, and got me a VERY rare shot. I have yet to come across a shot of the babies and mom in nest, or her and the eggs. Anyone know if EOS utility can be modded/ hacked for the iPhone And iPad?
Old 21st of August 2011 (Sun)   #54
ThatTeenPhotographer

I'd personally be way to scared to mod my camera, but this makes for an interesting read!
ThatTeenPhotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of September 2011 (Sat)   #55
ZoneV

Apodization filter like in Sony 135mm f/2.8 [T4.5] STF - SAL-135F28

And that is the filter - simple slide film placed near the iris:

Last edited by ZoneV : 29th of June 2013 (Sat) at 06:20.
ZoneV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of June 2012 (Tue)   #56
ZoneV

Now I have embeded a Canon EF iris assembly into a old manual Vivitar 28mm/2.8 lens. Now it is macro only, but with some longer focal length lenses this way could be used while still reaching infinity.

Some years ago I did the same with a Minolta Rokkor 45/2.0, but with this experimental work now I have tested some more accurate methods with the use of my mini lathe.
Next lens probably a longer lens to get infinity, or something for micro/macro. To get there more comfort for example with a enlarger lens. First test with an 150mm enlarger lens are promissing, but then I destroyed the EF iris :-/
Old 19th of June 2012 (Tue)   #57
AntonLargiader

Great stuff, please keep posting your progress!
Old 23rd of May 2013 (Thu)   #58
dhornick

I've tried to look through and search the "cobbling together" posts to find if anyone has put together what would basically be a complete home studio, i.e., lights and backdrop. I'm fairly certain that the backdrop is not all that hard but the lights might be somewhat tricky. I was thinking of some kind of a shop power light (1000w Halogen lamp?) on a tristand but don't really have a good feel for that would be a good white light diffuser.
dhornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2013 (Fri)   #59
PhotosGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhornick View Post
I've tried to look through and search the "cobbling together" posts to find if anyone has put together what would basically be a complete home studio, i.e., lights and backdrop. I'm fairly certain that the backdrop is not all that hard but the lights might be somewhat tricky. I was thinking of some kind of a shop power light (1000w Halogen lamp?) on a tristand but don't really have a good feel for that would be a good white light diffuser.
For close-up portrait, I've used white cards. Simple 2 Light Portrait Set-up

For product, too. Look at the knife, coin, & Browning threads here: FAQ - Studio Lighting

This diffusion material has a lot of uses in the studio, but the most obvious is to shine a light through it to get a larger source. I hang the roll & can control the size of the light by the distance the source is away from it.
Translum - 54" X 18' roll $39

Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?

New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Last edited by PhotosGuy : 25th of May 2013 (Sat) at 09:07. Reason: typo
PhotosGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of May 2013 (Sat)   #60
dhornick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotosGuy View Post
For close-up portrait, I've used white cards. Simple 2 Light Portrait Set-up

You product, too. Look at the knife, coin, & Browning threads here: FAQ - Studio Lighting

This diffusion material has a lot of uses in the studio, but the most obvious is to shine a light through it to get a larger source. I hang the roll & can control the size of the light by the distance the source is away from it.
Translum - 54" X 18' roll $39
Very nice and helpful thanks for pointing it out.
dhornick is offline   Reply With Quote