FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News
Thread started 03 Jan 2010 (Sunday) 06:28   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Stutterbug
Joined Apr 2009
176 posts
San Diego
[MORE/SHARE]

So I just got myself a 7D and would like to start putting the rent money I spent on it back in my pocket. I'd like to rent out my gear but have no idea how to protect myself and my gear. Does anyone have a good link or some sound advise?

Post #1, Jan 03, 2010 06:28:53

Canon 7D, EF 28-70L, EF 50, EF 28-90, EF 75-300, EF 35-70, EFS 28-135 and a desire to learn.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
AutumnJazz
Joined Jul 2009
137 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

It is going to be a waste of time unless you buy tons of gear and create a business. You can't compete with adorama or lensrentals.com, you can't afford the insurance for when someone steals your gear, etc. You can't just rent out gear you own...and if you don't need it, why not sell it?

Post #2, Jan 03, 2010 11:04:46

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/autumnjazz/external link

Stutterbug
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2009
176 posts
San Diego
[MORE/SHARE]

It's not that I don't need it, I bought it so I can stop renting gear for smaller shoots such as interviews and smaller short films. I guess I should mention that my camera is not my only piece of gear I want to rent. I have 2 XHA1s, 2 4 bank Kinos, a reflective media package among other items that I would like to use to help supplement my business.

Post #3, Jan 03, 2010 14:40:21

Canon 7D, EF 28-70L, EF 50, EF 28-90, EF 75-300, EF 35-70, EFS 28-135 and a desire to learn.

TSY87
Joined Sep 2009
637 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

my initial thoughts on this are its a dumb idea. Without a real business, insurance, more inventory, customer base, etc, you will get screwed.

The only thing i could see this working without you getting screwed is to charge the renter the full cash value as a deposit, then when they return the lens, you give them most of the money back minus the rental fee. Of course there would need to be legal signed documents to avoid any headaches down the road.

Post #4, Jan 06, 2010 16:15:18

D700 Gripped, Nikkor 20 2.8D, Sigma 50 1.4, Rokinon 85 1.4, Nikkor 105 2.8 Micro VR, Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VR2, SB-900
Myflickrexternal link

Jimil
Joined Sep 2009
408 posts
SF Bay Area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Stutterbug wrote in post #9313360external link
So I just got myself a 7D and would like to start putting the rent money I spent on it back in my pocket. I'd like to rent out my gear but have no idea how to protect myself and my gear. Does anyone have a good link or some sound advise?

Not sure if they are still doing it now, but borrowlenses.com was looking for more gear to add to their inventory. Something along the lines of them renting out your idle gear and giving your a cut. Give them holler and see what they say.

They are located in the SF Bay Area but rentals by mail are a big part of their business. There also might be a similar outfit doing the same in your area.

DISCLAIMER: I'm only a customer of theirs and had good experiences RENTING equipment from them. YMMV.

Cheers!

Post #5, Jan 15, 2010 15:11:39

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Stutterbug
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2009
176 posts
San Diego
[MORE/SHARE]

Awesome thanks for the information I look into it.

Post #6, Jan 15, 2010 22:54:47

LearnMyShot
Joined Nov 2008
136 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I can't recommend anything in regard to renting. Maybe put an ad on craigslist.com. For Equipment insurance you can look into marsh via ppa. You have to join PPA.com though to get that insurance.

Post #7, Jan 17, 2010 18:58:09

LearnMyShotexternal link - Photography Tutorialsexternal link, Tips & Techniquesexternal link
|flickrexternal link |facebookexternal link

EatMyShotexternal link - Food Photographerexternal link

helmet155
Joined Jul 2005
33 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I do not recommend it...unless you have a no questions asked warranty.

Post #8, Jan 18, 2010 22:38:43

professorman
Goldmember
Joined May 2009
1,652 posts
VA
[MORE/SHARE]

Maybe it can work on your local craigslist. Someone asked to rent my camera that I was selling once, but was not comfortable with this, so I said no. I did not know where they would be working, how they change lens, etc.

Post #9, Jan 19, 2010 11:02:12

MyGear | Feedback | facebookexternal link|My Siteexternal link|Flickrexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,171 views & 0 likes for this thread
Renting gear
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES