Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Photography Industry News
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd of January 2010 (Sun)   #1
Stutterbug

Default Renting gear

So I just got myself a 7D and would like to start putting the rent money I spent on it back in my pocket. I'd like to rent out my gear but have no idea how to protect myself and my gear. Does anyone have a good link or some sound advise?
Old 3rd of January 2010 (Sun)   #2
AutumnJazz

Default Re: Renting gear

It is going to be a waste of time unless you buy tons of gear and create a business. You can't compete with adorama or lensrentals.com, you can't afford the insurance for when someone steals your gear, etc. You can't just rent out gear you own...and if you don't need it, why not sell it?
AutumnJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of January 2010 (Sun)   #3
Stutterbug

It's not that I don't need it, I bought it so I can stop renting gear for smaller shoots such as interviews and smaller short films. I guess I should mention that my camera is not my only piece of gear I want to rent. I have 2 XHA1s, 2 4 bank Kinos, a reflective media package among other items that I would like to use to help supplement my business.
Old 6th of January 2010 (Wed)   #4
TSY87

my initial thoughts on this are its a dumb idea. Without a real business, insurance, more inventory, customer base, etc, you will get screwed.

The only thing i could see this working without you getting screwed is to charge the renter the full cash value as a deposit, then when they return the lens, you give them most of the money back minus the rental fee. Of course there would need to be legal signed documents to avoid any headaches down the road.

Myflickr
TSY87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of January 2010 (Fri)   #5
Jimil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stutterbug View Post
So I just got myself a 7D and would like to start putting the rent money I spent on it back in my pocket. I'd like to rent out my gear but have no idea how to protect myself and my gear. Does anyone have a good link or some sound advise?
Not sure if they are still doing it now, but borrowlenses.com was looking for more gear to add to their inventory. Something along the lines of them renting out your idle gear and giving your a cut. Give them holler and see what they say.

They are located in the SF Bay Area but rentals by mail are a big part of their business. There also might be a similar outfit doing the same in your area.

DISCLAIMER: I'm only a customer of theirs and had good experiences RENTING equipment from them. YMMV.

Cheers!
Jimil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of January 2010 (Fri)   #6
Stutterbug

Awesome thanks for the information I look into it.
Old 17th of January 2010 (Sun)   #7
LearnMyShot

I can't recommend anything in regard to renting. Maybe put an ad on craigslist.com. For Equipment insurance you can look into marsh via ppa. You have to join PPA.com though to get that insurance.
LearnMyShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of January 2010 (Mon)   #8
helmet155

I do not recommend it...unless you have a no questions asked warranty.
helmet155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of January 2010 (Tue)   #9
professorman

Maybe it can work on your local craigslist. Someone asked to rent my camera that I was selling once, but was not comfortable with this, so I said no. I did not know where they would be working, how they change lens, etc.

professorman is offline   Reply With Quote