Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk
Thread started 03 Jan 2010 (Sunday) 23:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Action Figure Photography

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,205 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Edmond, OK
Jan 05, 2010 10:33 |  #16

katodog wrote in post #9328486external link
That one would be perfect.

Purchased! Shipping made it $72 for me, but I'm sure it will be worth it.
Excited now...can't wait to come back and post my first test images!

sponsored links
canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Behind A Camera
Jan 06, 2010 10:20 |  #17

Chris, your going to love the box. I did get lights with mine, but so far, I have yet to take a bad picture in it. And that's saying a lot.

Now I just need to learn more about using the lighting I have. ;)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuffexternal link
Gear List, My You Tubeexternal link
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

lederK
164 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Göteborg, Sweden
Jan 10, 2010 20:46 |  #18

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #9319016 (external link)
Hello,

I've purchased some foam core boards and other stuff to make a DIY light box, but was also considering buying this...think this would give me some good results with the action figures and toys?

http://cgi.ebay.com ...m2eaa31199e#ht_1853​wt_752 (external link)

Thanks!

Light tents are good for producing an even lighting of your subject. While they are good at doing that, I find it difficult to do any more interesting with the light in one of those. Furthermore, adding background et c. is limited to what you can actually fit into the box so creativity is a bit restricted.

I'd stick with the foamcore and other types of diy reflectors to shape the light around your figure.

An example of my setup is attached A set of pvc pipes is used as scaffolding to string up background, figures and reflectors. Here I used two naked flashes for lighting. The image on the right was taken with this particular setup (though its far from the best in the set). The shot is unprocessed so the strings are still visible

With this setup, I have plenty of space for placing lights and reflectors wherever i wish.

HTH
/lk

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Got : 350D, 17-85 IS , nifty, Sigma 10-20, 70-200 f4L, 70-200 IS f4L, 430EX, SB-24, tripods and stuff...
Want : Photographic talent and skill

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,205 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Edmond, OK
Jan 14, 2010 10:33 |  #19

Nice Wolvy LederK!

I got my light box but they didn't send me the light bulbs or backdrops. Had to email them and they've since shipped those out to me. Just waiting now.

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,205 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Edmond, OK
Jan 16, 2010 20:41 |  #20

Ok, I got the bulbs and the backdrops now, the back drops have all those same creases some of you have seen, did you iron them out? Another thing my light box is a 25" cube, but the back drops are only 20" wide, shouldn't they be 25" wide as well to cover the entire back of the cube?

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Behind A Camera
Jan 18, 2010 08:46 |  #21

My backdrops are not quite as wide as my 30" tent, but close. I never did get all the wrinkles out of mine. I did hang them in the bathroom and steamed up the room using the hot shower. It helped, but could have been better. I like the idea of putting them in the dryer for a few minutes with a wet cloth, but be careful of lint. Once it gets on that felt, it won't come out.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,205 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Edmond, OK
Jan 18, 2010 13:35 |  #22

canonloader wrote in post #9417297external link
My backdrops are not quite as wide as my 30" tent, but close. I never did get all the wrinkles out of mine. I did hang them in the bathroom and steamed up the room using the hot shower. It helped, but could have been better. I like the idea of putting them in the dryer for a few minutes with a wet cloth, but be careful of lint. Once it gets on that felt, it won't come out.

I tried it myself with these ones sent, and it didn't do much, waste of time.
I'm going to iron them next, using something between them and the iron.

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,205 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Edmond, OK
Jan 18, 2010 13:54 |  #23

Here is my first attempt with a makeshift backdrop...

IMAGE: http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj66/ChrisMc73/IMG_8865.jpg

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Behind A Camera
Jan 18, 2010 13:58 |  #24

That's doing what it's supposed to. What is it?

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,205 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Edmond, OK
Jan 18, 2010 13:59 |  #25

canonloader wrote in post #9419184external link
That's doing what it's supposed to. What is it?

Well since the backdrops that came with it are still all folded and creased, I used a piece of white poster board, curved it in the back there, works like it should yes.

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,205 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Edmond, OK
Jan 18, 2010 23:01 |  #26

Here are a few more I tried out tonight, with some black poster board as the backdrop...not crazy about what I'm getting, I still need lots of practice.
And when my backdrops come in, and I don't have 2" on the sides where the backdrop doesn't cover up...I'll be better.

IMAGE: http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj66/ChrisMc73/IMG_8933.jpg

IMAGE: http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj66/ChrisMc73/IMG_8935.jpg

IMAGE: http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj66/ChrisMc73/IMG_8936.jpg

IMAGE: http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj66/ChrisMc73/IMG_8940.jpg

IMAGE: http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj66/ChrisMc73/IMG_8941.jpg

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Behind A Camera
Jan 19, 2010 04:32 |  #27

You are using a tripod? My recommendation is to get out of Av Mode and go to Manual. F/5 and f/8 at ISO 800 simply isn't going to cut it. That's why so much of the figure is out of focus. You need at least ISO 16, maybe more, and shoot at ISO 100 for the best quality. That's the whole purpose of a tent. If it takes 3-4 seconds of shutter speed, doesn't matter, they aren't moving. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,205 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Edmond, OK
Jan 19, 2010 08:25 |  #28

canonloader wrote in post #9423989external link
You are using a tripod? My recommendation is to get out of Av Mode and go to Manual. F/5 and f/8 at ISO 800 simply isn't going to cut it. That's why so much of the figure is out of focus. You need at least ISO 16, maybe more, and shoot at ISO 100 for the best quality. That's the whole purpose of a tent. If it takes 3-4 seconds of shutter speed, doesn't matter, they aren't moving. :)

Nope, I'm doing this hand held, just to see what I can do. I will try it at f/16 and ISO 100 on the tripod. Will post results once I do.

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Behind A Camera
Jan 19, 2010 08:32 |  #29

I'm still new to this myself, but I have discovered that even if the studio lighting looks fairly bright, it can't hold a candle to daylight. Tripods are a must and long shutter speeds are your friend. :lol:

Also, if you haven't figured it out, turn off the TV, your desk lamp behind you and all other lights in the room and use only the tent lights. Took me a few days to figure that out. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,205 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Edmond, OK
Jan 19, 2010 08:36 |  #30

canonloader wrote in post #9424811external link
I'm still new to this myself, but I have discovered that even if the studio lighting looks fairly bright, it can't hold a candle to daylight. Tripods are a must and long shutter speeds are your friend. :lol:

Also, if you haven't figured it out, turn off the TV, your desk lamp behind you and all other lights in the room and use only the tent lights. Took me a few days to figure that out. :)

Yes I did pick up on that, when seeing most everyone's setup, they had all the stuff around them off.

sponsored links

220,712 views & 146 likes for this thread
Action Figure Photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.