Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Other Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 05 Jan 2010 (Tuesday) 10:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

10 Things Not to Buy in 2010 (A P&S Digital for one)

gkarris
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Jan 05, 2010 10:13 |  #1

Here it is, only buy a dSLR - here come the masses!!! LOL...

http://www.smartmoney.​com ...hings-not-to-buy-in-2010/external link

The section:

Compact digital cameras

For nearly a decade, digital compact cameras were must-haves for most consumers.

But during the past several years, another type of digital camera has been slowly rising in popularity: the single-lens reflex (SLR) camera, from manufacturers including Nikon, Canon (CAJ: 43.66*, +0.43, +0.99%), Sony (SNE: 29.87*, -0.15, -0.49%) and Olympus. Although bulkier, these cameras produce pictures that more accurately represent what’s in their viewfinders than those that use older technology.

They’re also pricier. For example, Canon’s digital compact cameras start at $110, while the SLRs start at $570.

sponsored links
snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Wadsworth, Ohio
Jan 05, 2010 10:28 |  #2

Not sure about this. Any notable decline of P&S camera sales (if this is what the article is about) is probably most closely related to the fact that everybody has camera and (perhaps even) video on their current communications (cell phone) device.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

push ­ pins
586 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Jan 05, 2010 11:05 |  #3

If Canon sends a person to teach my parents and sister how to use a dslr, then ok.. But i think the two ixus' i gave them will work just fine..

Too many knobs = disaster..

My stuff at flickr..external link

SnapsbyPoteat
982 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Northwest Arkansas
Aug 03, 2010 13:34 |  #4

I really don't think a majority of people are going to choose a DSLR over a P&S. I think a lot of people are realizing the complexitiy of dslr and are steering clear, I've had some friends who say they have a 'nice camera' but then they don't get the shots they want because they realized they have to actualy learn how to use it correctly, and get a more expensive lens.

Gear list: Canon 5D Mk II, 7D tokina 11-16/2.8, Sigma 30 1.4 , Canon 50 1.2 L, 85 1.8,100 2.8 L macro, 580ex,
www.snapsbypoteat.comexternal link . Facebook Pageexternal linkThe Blogexternal link
The wedding page www.melaniepoteat.comexternal link

JonSC
685 posts
Joined Dec 2009
NY
Aug 13, 2010 12:29 |  #5

I don't agree with the external harddrive part either, it would take too long to upload everything. :confused:

5D II
| 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II | Sigma 35 f/1.4A | 50 f/1.4 | 580 EX II | 1.4x T.C.

Full Gear List

blackshadow
Mr T. from the A team
5,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Melbourne, VIC Australia
Aug 14, 2010 04:22 |  #6

The list is rubbish - it doesn't have iPads or the iPhone 4 on it.

Black Shadow Photographyexternal link
Facebookexternal link Flickrexternal link Twitterexternal link
Gear List Myspaceexternal link

dontcallmeash
480 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Aug 14, 2010 08:50 |  #7

SLRs were always hard to use, so they were a smaller segment of the market. thanks to digital technology, DSLRs are much easier. the idiot green box and its associated shooting modes actually produce great photos.

but as more "casual" people buy these cameras, are we going to lose useful features to make them more idiot friendly. the t2i, for example, has a live-view dedicated switch but doesn't have seperate shutter and aperture controls.

at best buy there was a consumer who wanted to buy a 50D to take photos of her grandkids but didn't understand the concept of exchangeable lenses and wanted to buy it without one to "save money."

jsboutin
181 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Aug 19, 2010 21:07 as a reply to dontcallmeash's post |  #8

I've seen more and more slrs lately. To be honest, this is pretty bad news.

Oh, and rebels always had shutter and aperture on the same wheel, no?

EOS Digital Rebel XT, EF 17-40 F/4 L and 70-200 f/4 L

Canon1969
39 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Atlanta, GA
Aug 20, 2010 13:10 as a reply to jsboutin's post |  #9

On the contrary, more SLRs being sold means that companies have a larger pool through which to amortize their R&D costs which will lead to innovation and competition... especially at the high-end. As our high-end features "trickle down" to lower price points I'd expect to see many new and compelling technologies come our way. Kind of like the $100k+ Corvettes that borrow features from the racing program and then end-up on the "lowly" $50k vettes!

IMO: More volume = more innovation & competition!

5D Mark II (gripped) | 24-105mm f/4.0L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 85mm f/1.2L IS II | 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS

yap09
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
Oct 31, 2010 00:22 |  #10

dontcallmeash wrote in post #10719734external link
SLRs were always hard to use, so they were a smaller segment of the market. thanks to digital technology, DSLRs are much easier. the idiot green box and its associated shooting modes actually produce great photos.

but as more "casual" people buy these cameras, are we going to lose useful features to make them more idiot friendly. the t2i, for example, has a live-view dedicated switch but doesn't have seperate shutter and aperture controls.

at best buy there was a consumer who wanted to buy a 50D to take photos of her grandkids but didn't understand the concept of exchangeable lenses and wanted to buy it without one to "save money."

to adjust the aperture on a rebel, you hold down the av button and turn the wheel.....

T1i | Canon 18-55is | Canon 55-250is | 430ex

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Texas, USA
Nov 07, 2010 15:10 |  #11

snyderman wrote in post #9328568external link
Not sure about this. Any notable decline of P&S camera sales (if this is what the article is about) is probably most closely related to the fact that everybody has camera and (perhaps even) video on their current communications (cell phone) device.

dave

+1
yep

lonelyjew
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Nov 07, 2010 15:47 |  #12

"Don't buy a multi tool, nowadays you can buy a whole tool chest, size has no factor in importance." It's pretty stupid that they didn't even mention mirrorless cameras if they're going to make that argument.

Canon 40D
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS, ∑ 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro, ∑ 105mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro
580ex II
An off brand tank of a tripod w/ Manfrotto 486RC2 Head

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Michigan
Nov 14, 2010 10:05 |  #13

Terrible article, everything on there was either quite obvious (gas-guzzlers and CD's) or just plain wrong (smartphone also rans (droid anyone?), newspapers)

Zenfolioexternal link
flickrexternal link
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

YankeeMom
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
New Hampshire
Nov 14, 2010 10:23 |  #14

I also disagree with not buying external hard-drives. a.) they are cheap, good quality, and I own it and b.) what if the online company disappears? I don't trust it exclusively.

Kristin
Mom to 11 ~ Still sane and rocking my Canon 5DMkII.
Calibrated with Spyder 4
My Website (external link)
| My Blog (external link) | My Flickr (external link) | My Facebook (external link) | My 500px (external link) | My Pinterest (external link) | My Google+ (external link) | My Instagram (external link)

nyy
617 posts
Joined May 2006
New Jersey
Nov 14, 2010 11:29 as a reply to YankeeMom's post |  #15

The whole premise of the article is to not buy things based on nothing more than trends.

What ever happened to buying whatever you want or need? Who cares what everyone else is doing?

"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra scary to me, because there's a large, out-of-focus monster roaming the countryside." --Mitch Hedberg

sponsored links

7,511 views & 0 likes for this thread
10 Things Not to Buy in 2010 (A P&S Digital for one)
FORUMS News & Rumors Other Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.