FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 05 Jan 2010 (Tuesday) 23:41   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Zephyrize
Joined Mar 2009
316 posts
Montreal, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Some friends and I planned a shooting on our nearby mountain this weekend.. only problem: the temperature is predicted as -20 C (-4 F)

We'll be out from lunchtime till sundown at around 5pm..
my concern is... will this cold weather damage my Xsi?
I know that it affects battery life, so I burrowed an extra one.. but can it actually cause physical damage to sensor, lcd, lens element, etc.

Note that I won't be going from cold to warm to cold... it's just plain cold all day :)

thanks

Post #1, Jan 05, 2010 23:41:56

~Be the change you want to see in the world.
Flickriver.external link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
Joined Jun 2007
13,313 posts
South Dakota
[MORE/SHARE]

Nope, you'll be fine.

That's really not even cold. ;)

Post #2, Jan 05, 2010 23:47:13

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
http://photography-on-the.net ...php?p=9903477#post9​903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

themadman
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2009
18,860 posts
Northern California
[MORE/SHARE]

Cold air should be fine, the only problems I see are...

1. Batteries get too cold
2. When you bring your camera from a very cold to a very warm location, you can get some condensation on the inside.

Since you aren't concerned about those two things, I won't worry too much. Cold air is usually dry air so I don't think that should case you too many problems.

Post #3, Jan 05, 2010 23:48:28

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​comexternal link | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

jack ­ lumber
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2006
1,105 posts
southern alberta.
[MORE/SHARE]

I have shot at -42c camera was fine.

Post #4, Jan 06, 2010 00:04:29 as a reply to themadman's post 16 minutes earlier.

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "obsession"
---------------
5D-20D-7D gripped- all canon-28MM 1.8 - 50MM 1.8 -17-40 L -100MM 2.8 macro -70-200MM L F4- 100-40MM L -1X4 teleconverter-Sigma 20-40MM 2.8:D 580 EX 11 flash- manfrotto tripods and monopods.

capo-wear-i
Hatchling
Joined Sep 2009
6 posts
Shropshire, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Appaently the LCD screen slows down in extreeme cold - anyone confirm this ?

Post #5, Jan 06, 2010 03:09:59

Canon 500D, 70-300 II, 18-55, 50mm 1.8

sponsored links
10megapixel
"I'm a little slow"
Joined Oct 2008
3,869 posts
Â…Â…Surrounded by Corn and Rednecks in Indiana
[MORE/SHARE]

Liquid crystal displays are sensitive to temperature, and it can affect their behavior. Cold weather makes the liquid thick, slowing down the display.

Post #6, Jan 06, 2010 03:15:30 as a reply to capo-wear-i's post 5 minutes earlier.

Gear List & Feedback

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
Joined Sep 2005
66,283 posts
The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!
[MORE/SHARE]

Keep the spare battery in an inside pocket, close to your body so that it stays nice and warm. You can rotate batteries if there seems to be an issue. Also, when you come in from an extended period out in the cold...it is a good idea to slip your camera in to a big ziplock bag and seal it outside....let the camera and bag slowly warm inside and you won't have condensation issues inside your body.

Post #7, Jan 06, 2010 03:19:08

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book,external link Refrigerator Artexternal link and What I Really Think Aboutexternal link

Khamelion
Joined Jun 2006
91 posts
North East England
[MORE/SHARE]

Keep the little bags of Silica Gel you get when you buy anything from phones, tv's, leather goods etc and pop them in your camera bag, they suck up moisture and help keep your camera gear condesation free.

Post #8, Jan 06, 2010 03:46:30 as a reply to Woolburr's post 27 minutes earlier.

--
Kind Regards
Dave
http://www.resoluteima​ges.co.ukexternal link

themadman
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2009
18,860 posts
Northern California
[MORE/SHARE]

Khamelion wrote in post #9334712external link
Keep the little bags of Silica Gel you get when you buy anything from phones, tv's, leather goods etc and pop them in your camera bag, they suck up moisture and help keep your camera gear condesation free.

Those are awesome, I have like 5 sitting in my camera bag =P Just remember, don't eat em!

Post #9, Jan 06, 2010 04:04:11

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​comexternal link | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

Zephyrize
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2009
316 posts
Montreal, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

themadman wrote in post #9334752external link
Those are awesome, I have like 5 sitting in my camera bag =P Just remember, don't eat em!

haha thanks for the advice!

I was concerned since my xsi is not 'weathersealed' (I thought it included cold temperatures)... the others hikers are using 5D2s and D300s, so don't want to be the only one with a dead camera after a few hours lol

Post #10, Jan 06, 2010 14:52:54

~Be the change you want to see in the world.
Flickriver.external link

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,169 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Khamelion wrote in post #9334712external link

themadman wrote in post #9334752external link

If they're just sitting around in your camera bag for any length of time, they're probably no good any more. They're not all that absorbent to begin with in small quantities, and there's no "On/Off" switch to tell them when you don't need them to be collecting moisture out of the air.

Post #11, Jan 06, 2010 14:58:49 as a reply to Zephyrize's post 5 minutes earlier.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links
Sam|McGuire
Joined Nov 2008
865 posts
Burlington, VT 05401
[MORE/SHARE]

I've had my 40d out shooting snowboarding in -15 with driving snow. You'll be fine.

Post #12, Jan 06, 2010 15:19:20

Canon 5DII| 35L | 16-35LII |24-70L |70-200 F/2.8 IS LII | Alien Bees | CPS Member
Flickr external link
www.moralfibers.coexternal link

Kafn8td
Joined Feb 2007
831 posts
Minnesooooooota
[MORE/SHARE]

Zephyrize wrote in post #9333852external link
-20 C (-4 F)

No problems, This time of the year in MN it is consistently below that, and I've shot well below that with P&S, XT, 30D and now tha 7D without issues.

Appaently the LCD screen slows down in extreeme cold - anyone confirm this ?

I've been told this also, but have never noticed it on the XT, 30D and now 7D. I did however notice this past weekend -9 F that when I went to change my focus point it was slow. Back and top screen functioned as normal.
I shot 500+ pictures of Eagles last saturday in that cold, and when I checked the battery on the 7D, it still showed 85%. In fact I still haven't charged it and have taken another 100 and it's showing 77%.

Post #13, Jan 06, 2010 15:57:15

themadman
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2009
18,860 posts
Northern California
[MORE/SHARE]

Jon wrote in post #9338190external link
If they're just sitting around in your camera bag for any length of time, they're probably no good any more. They're not all that absorbent to begin with in small quantities, and there's no "On/Off" switch to tell them when you don't need them to be collecting moisture out of the air.

DOH! I better buy more then =)

Post #14, Jan 06, 2010 16:17:05

Khamelion
Joined Jun 2006
91 posts
North East England
[MORE/SHARE]

Jon wrote in post #9338190external link

I'm fairly certain that you can reinvigorate them by drying them out in a warm oven for a few minutes, could be wrong though

Post #15, Jan 06, 2010 16:21:11

--
Kind Regards
Dave
http://www.resoluteima​ges.co.ukexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
5,422 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can Cold damage camera? vey cold...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES