Thread started 06 Jan 2010 (Wednesday) 14:52   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

ontopofm
Joined Aug 2009
300 posts
CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi guys,

Im having a hard time deciding which one to get. Looking at the pictures on flickr Im leaning toward the Tokina. All the pictures are very sharp. Can you guys list some pros and cons of these 2 lenses before fork out $$$ for it. Canon 100mm used with hood for $480 btw. Thanks

Post #1, Jan 06, 2010 14:52:52

Phuc
Flickrexternal link
Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
themadman
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2009
18,860 posts
Northern California
[MORE/SHARE]

All the macro lenses (I have heard of) are very sharp and good. (Tokina 100, Canon 100, Sigma 105, Tamron 90). The only real difference I know of is the Canon ones are completely internal focus, but when it comes to macro, that doesn't really matter.

Post #2, Jan 06, 2010 14:56:33

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​comexternal link | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

krb
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2008
8,818 posts
Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together
[MORE/SHARE]

Tokina has a lower price.
Canon has USM focusing and works really great as a very, very sharp 100mm f/2.8 lens.

Post #3, Jan 06, 2010 14:59:28

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickrexternal link
Gear list

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
24,529 posts
Utah, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

themadman wrote in post #9338171external link
All the macro lenses are very sharp and good. (Tokina 100, Canon 100, Sigma 105, Tamron 90). The only real difference I know of is the Canon ones are completely internal focus, but when it comes to macro, that doesn't really matter.

I would say it matters MORE. When you only have 3-4 inches of working room and your lens extends 2-3 inches, you risk clearance issues with your subjects - especially if you use a hood or ring light.

Post #4, Jan 06, 2010 14:59:59

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

leoni
Joined Jun 2008
158 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

i have the tokina 100 mm macro and very glad
maybe the canon has better AF and better optics but price for tokina is correct

my advice: if you will not use the macro often, dont invest to much
a nice macro + a zoom tele will help you more then a better macro lens ( like canon)

Post #5, Jan 06, 2010 15:04:04

550d with S10-20 4.5; T17-50 2.8, C50 1.8, C 85 1.8, C 70-200 F4; tokina 100mm macro 2.8; 430 speedlite

like my facebook page: http://www.facebook.co​m/MariusPopaPhotoexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
themadman
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2009
18,860 posts
Northern California
[MORE/SHARE]

tkbslc wrote in post #9338202external link
I would say it matters MORE. When you only have 3-4 inches of working room and your lens extends 2-3 inches, you risk clearance issues with your subjects - especially if you use a hood or ring light.

I would like to disagree. When I do macro, I care more about the magnification so my focus is fixed, I move the camera to focus. I am pretty sure most macro photographers do the same. USM, autofocus, all that stuff is wasted on a macro lens. Most folks just set the magnification and move the camera. I also never used a hood, I doubt many macro photographers do as it gets in the way of light. Ring lights are fine (but again, jsut a regular flash thats bracket off of camera works PLENTY well, something specialized like a ring light is wasted IMO), but even at 1:1 on a 100mm lens, you have a good couple of inches.

OP> I'll be honest, I think too many folks are Canon obsessed. Third party lenses are plenty good. Spend some time in the macro section of the forums and you will find this out very quickly.

Here is a link to the macro discussion section: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=123

Post #6, Jan 06, 2010 15:04:29

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​comexternal link | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,034 views & 0 likes for this thread
canon 100mm macro vs tokina 100mm macro
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES