Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th of January 2010 (Wed)   #1
ontopofm

Default canon 100mm macro vs tokina 100mm macro

Hi guys,

Im having a hard time deciding which one to get. Looking at the pictures on flickr Im leaning toward the Tokina. All the pictures are very sharp. Can you guys list some pros and cons of these 2 lenses before fork out $$$ for it. Canon 100mm used with hood for $480 btw. Thanks
ontopofm is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of January 2010 (Wed)   #2
themadman
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: canon 100mm macro vs tokina 100mm macro

All the macro lenses (I have heard of) are very sharp and good. (Tokina 100, Canon 100, Sigma 105, Tamron 90). The only real difference I know of is the Canon ones are completely internal focus, but when it comes to macro, that doesn't really matter.

Last edited by themadman : 6th of January 2010 (Wed) at 14:58.
themadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of January 2010 (Wed)   #3
krb
Cream of the Crop

Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Tokina has a lower price.
Canon has USM focusing and works really great as a very, very sharp 100mm f/2.8 lens.
Gear list
krb is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of January 2010 (Wed)   #4
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadman View Post
All the macro lenses are very sharp and good. (Tokina 100, Canon 100, Sigma 105, Tamron 90). The only real difference I know of is the Canon ones are completely internal focus, but when it comes to macro, that doesn't really matter.
I would say it matters MORE. When you only have 3-4 inches of working room and your lens extends 2-3 inches, you risk clearance issues with your subjects - especially if you use a hood or ring light.
tkbslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of January 2010 (Wed)   #5
leoni

i have the tokina 100 mm macro and very glad
maybe the canon has better AF and better optics but price for tokina is correct

my advice: if you will not use the macro often, dont invest to much
a nice macro + a zoom tele will help you more then a better macro lens ( like canon)
leoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of January 2010 (Wed)   #6
themadman
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbslc View Post
I would say it matters MORE. When you only have 3-4 inches of working room and your lens extends 2-3 inches, you risk clearance issues with your subjects - especially if you use a hood or ring light.
I would like to disagree. When I do macro, I care more about the magnification so my focus is fixed, I move the camera to focus. I am pretty sure most macro photographers do the same. USM, autofocus, all that stuff is wasted on a macro lens. Most folks just set the magnification and move the camera. I also never used a hood, I doubt many macro photographers do as it gets in the way of light. Ring lights are fine (but again, jsut a regular flash thats bracket off of camera works PLENTY well, something specialized like a ring light is wasted IMO), but even at 1:1 on a 100mm lens, you have a good couple of inches.

OP> I'll be honest, I think too many folks are Canon obsessed. Third party lenses are plenty good. Spend some time in the macro section of the forums and you will find this out very quickly.

Here is a link to the macro discussion section: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...play.php?f=123

Last edited by themadman : 6th of January 2010 (Wed) at 15:13.
themadman is offline   Reply With Quote