Best Full Frame lens for landscape and panoramas?

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 06 Jan 2010 (Wednesday) 16:08   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

clupica
Joined Mar 2009
32 posts
Neuchatel, Switzerland
[MORE/SHARE]

Sorry to need to ask outright but I've tried to find this info on the forum and I get frustrated and go away.

Currently I'm using a Canon 5D Mark II with an Tamron 28-75mm lens to do most of my landscape and panorama work. I'm finding that 28mm is just too narrow for full 360° panoramas. I have an upcoming project that might require me to do as many as 10, 360° panoramas.

I can't make up my mind between all the options out there, such as the Canon 16-35 f/2.8, the 17-40mm, the 20mm prime, the 24mm prime and a ton of other lens from Canon, Sigma, Tamron, ...

The work needs to stand up to professional scrutiny. I also favor a fast lens because it will give me the best flexibility.

I was all set to buy the 16-35mm the other day but a number of pro friends didn't think it has a good price / performance ration.

What say you?

Charlie

Post #1, Jan 06, 2010 16:08:04

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
toxic
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
3,498 posts
California
[MORE/SHARE]

The absolute best is probably a tilt-shift. Otherwise, probably one of the new Zeiss ZE lenses that recently came out (21mm f/2.8 and 18mm f/3.5).

The 16-35 might not have a good price/performance ratio, but that's how all (ultra-)wide lenses are.

Post #2, Jan 06, 2010 16:29:24

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
Joined May 2009
12,501 posts
On The Roads Across America
[MORE/SHARE]

I dig my 16-35 II a lot. However, I am clamoring to add the 24 TS II to the arsenal as soon as I can.

I thought about the 17 TS as well, but I think 24 is a better, more used FL for me personally.

Post #3, Jan 06, 2010 16:34:08

» America By Twilight - The Ultimate Photography Roadtripexternal link

I’m now living and working full-time on-the-road across the highways of America.
Accompanied by “Montana”, a beautiful Golden Irish who goes everywhere that I do.
Follow along on this modern journey to explore America by Twilightexternal link

argyle
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2007
8,179 posts
DFW, Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

One with little distortion...

Post #4, Jan 06, 2010 18:59:58 as a reply to Todd Lambert's post 2 hours earlier.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2008
14,060 posts
Montreal, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

and (very) good borders.

Post #5, Jan 06, 2010 19:03:18

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographerexternal link
Flickrexternal link

sponsored links
ckramos
Joined Dec 2009
179 posts
Mill Creek, WA
[MORE/SHARE]

How about the red-headed-step-child the Canon 20mm f2.8. I mounted one on my 5d2 and I couldn't get the display case to warp; aiming up, down, left, right. I was about half-a-foot away from it.

I had used a nikon 20mm on my fm2 in the early 90s; that had major warpage.

I've used Contax G2s with a 21 Biogon, so I'll blashpheme and say that this is almost comparable to Biogons. No fisheye-ing.

The vignetting can be compensated with the 5d2 built in lens corrector.

Post #6, Jan 06, 2010 19:08:03 as a reply to argyle's post 8 minutes earlier.

5d2 | 580ex ii | 35-70mm f3.5-4.5 | 50mm f1.4 | 17-40mm f4

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
Joined Jan 2007
14,420 posts
Detroit, MI
[MORE/SHARE]

The absolute best lens for this would be the Canon TS-E 17/4L but it is very, very expensive, especially in Europe. Stepping down in price are the TS-E 24/3.5L II and then the superceded version I.

If you decide the tilt shift lenses are too expensive, another reasonable path might be to look at getting a manual focus only prime lens. Zeiss 21mm for example could be a good choice.

Canon does not have a lot of well regarded primes below 24mm (other than the TS-E lenses) and the zooms are all going to have some distortion that will probably require needless process work to correct before stitching.

Post #7, Jan 06, 2010 19:29:59

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/external link
Commercial sports:http://girbach.zenfoli​o.com/external link
I use a Canon 5DIII and 1DIV and a Panasonic GF-1

tunin
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
1,187 posts
New York, NY - Medjugorje, BiH
[MORE/SHARE]

In my opinion 16-35II without a doubt for a full frame camera and when it comes to the less expensive lenses that fit on crop sensor cameras I would give my vote to the 11-16 Tokina

Post #8, Jan 14, 2010 13:14:40

I am not young enough to know everything. O.W.
www.medjugorje.netexternal link
*** Amateur tools ***

plasticmotif
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2008
3,154 posts
Tennessee
[MORE/SHARE]

14L, Zeiss 21, 17/24 TSE.

Post #9, Jan 14, 2010 13:26:14

Mac P.
My Zenfolioexternal link My Photo Blogexternal link My Equipment
http://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=14172975#post14​172975

Bill ­ Ng
Goldmember
Joined May 2005
1,203 posts
Hartsdale, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

I agree - tilt-shift for 360 degree landscape work. Unless you have fantastic distortion correct and stitching software, a tilt-shift lens is going to make your post-processing life much easier.

Post #10, Jan 14, 2010 13:31:22 as a reply to plasticmotif's post 5 minutes earlier.

Billy Ng
1 Body
4 Lenses
3 Strobes
Never enough time

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2005
13,431 posts
Portage, Wisconsin USA
[MORE/SHARE]

The best 360 shots I have seen were done with a lens longer than 28mm. Maybe work on your PP technique? Really wides have issues with borders and keeping lines straight to stitch together. And, yes, T/S using the shift is great.

Post #11, Jan 14, 2010 13:32:19

GEAR LIST

sponsored links
BrianLSU
Joined Dec 2009
34 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I've been researching the exact same situation.

Here are my findings;

16-35L II Great lens, not as wide as the 14L (obviously) but has a good price/performance ratio. You can mount filters on the front too.

17-40L Good lens, F4 vs. F2.8, has more distortion and dark corners than the 16-35II but is half the price too. 77mm, so it matches the rest of my L lenses for filters.

14L Great prime, minimal distortion, F2.8, just a really good lens. lacks focal flexibility. Very Expensive. Can't mount filters at front.

Now, of the three, if I had to make a decision today, it would be the 16-35LII. But rumor has it there could be a 14-24L coming out in February. I'm waiting to see if it's true before pulling the trigger.

Post #12, Jan 14, 2010 13:42:20 as a reply to plasticmotif's post 16 minutes earlier.

tunin
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
1,187 posts
New York, NY - Medjugorje, BiH
[MORE/SHARE]

14-24L ?? I have not read/hear about this but if this is true, that is awesome, finally, that was the one thing I envied from the other side...

Post #13, Jan 14, 2010 13:45:07

I am not young enough to know everything. O.W.
www.medjugorje.netexternal link
*** Amateur tools ***

BrianLSU
Joined Dec 2009
34 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Yea, it was on Canon Rumors in early January. They predict the 70-200 2.8 II (came to fruition), 24-70 2.8 II and a 14-24 2.8.

I agree, would be a great lens, especially since this is one of those we wish we had from the other side.

Post #14, Jan 14, 2010 14:00:30 as a reply to tunin's post 15 minutes earlier.

advaitin
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
3,697 posts
The Fun Coast of Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

There was a time when I thought I might play with panoramas. As I researched the techniques I saw there were two general looks: a sort of superwide view that covered 360 degrees and distant things were very, very small in the image--which sounds like what you want to do--and general panoramic views of some scenery, which calls for a longer lens--the 45 and 90mm TSE lenses answer that very well.

In your case, wider is better, images are shot vertically and you have to keep out of the picture as you rotate around the tripod, so Canon or Sigma or Tamron 14mm lenses would be the first choice, followed by the Zeiss 18mm. If a zoom will work better for you, then I suggest the Sigma 12-24mm.

You might take a look here:

http://www.cameraquest​.com/inventor.htmexternal link

At the Canon EOS 20/3.5 Color Skopar Aspherical Series II, which may also answer your needs as would the Canon 20mm. And to show how forgetful I am, there is the very fast Sigma 20mm I.8, which I use. I'll check to see what I hve in my files as an example.

Post #15, Jan 14, 2010 14:13:03 as a reply to BrianLSU's post 12 minutes earlier.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
8,226 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Full Frame lens for landscape and panoramas?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES