Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Weddings and Other Family Events Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th of January 2010 (Sat)   #1
Aaagogo
Goldmember

Default Basic Wedding Photography Questionnaire For the Bride

I've complied a list of basic stuff that I send out to my potential brides-to-be when they contact me. Feel free to use it or add to it if I missed out anything. This is complied from a few different sources and tweaked.

(Added) Remember to tell your bride-to-be that this is the first of a few questionnaire that she has to complete to help you understand and grasp a feel for her event. And do let her know that the more information she can provide you with, the better you can prepare your team for her event. The information will be saved and parts of it will be used to compile the final contract/agreement when she decides to book your services for her event.

Kinda my little contribution back to the forum.

This does not include a lot of other specific details which I will send if the price is right and they are the right clients to work with.

Basic Wedding Photography Questionnaire.

Day, Date & Year of Ceremony:
Location of Ceremony:
Backup Location of Ceremony:
Time of Ceremony:
Duration of Ceremony:
Time of Reception:
Duration of Reception:
Time of Luncheon/Dinner:
Duration of Luncheon/Dinner:
Size of Bride’s Bridal Party:
Size of Groom’s Bridal Party:
Bride’s Attending Family Size (Immediate Family only):
Groom’s Attending Family Size (Immediate Family only):
Approximate Guests Attending:
Theme of Wedding:
Bride’s Wedding Dress (Style, Veil, Train, Color, etc…):

What words describe best - The Priorities for the Feelof the Day?
Romance, Fun, Glamour, Sophistication, Socializing, Relaxed, Celebration,
Other:

Which portions of the day is the most important to you: Pick 3-4
Prep, Ceremony, Group Photos, Wedding Party Photos, Couple Photos, Bridal Portrait, Groom Portrait, Cocktail Hour, Reception, Dinner

What best describes your personalities as a couple: (pick four)
Fun, Playful, Flirtatious, Romantic, Intense, Warm, Sexy, Buddies, Soul Mates,
Other:

For the Bride to be: What six words best describe your personality:
Shy, Outgoing, Fun loving, Quiet, Introspective, Intense, Reserved, Traditional, Informal, Relaxed, High energy, Subtle, Cool, Hot, Unconventional,
Other:

For the Groom to be: What six words best describe your personality
Shy, Outgoing, Fun loving, Quiet, Introspective, Intense, Reserved, Traditional, Informal, Relaxed, High energy, Subtle, Cool, Hot, Unconventional,
Other:

When looking at wedding work on the web or in magazines - What wordsdescribe your style?
Candid, Natural, Romantic, Classic, Emotional, Fun, Playful, Moody, Artistic, Traditional, Expressive, High Fashion, Edgy, Eclectic, Quality, Soft Color, Saturated Color, Black and White, Timeless, Memorable, Classic,
Other:

The end result of photography for your wedding should be: (pick as many as apply)
Lots of pictures that tell the complete story of our wedding - Capturing the emotion of the day
2-3 each - perfect shots of the important moments and typical traditional couple and group shots
Fun pictures of friends and fami
Mostly images concentrating on the two of us
Lots of group/family shots
Artistic Details
Close-up intimate shots
Lots of Candids
High fashion - stylized images - Bridal Portrait
Natural - relaxed images - Bridal Portraits
Interactive - Natural Couple shots
Posed - Classic Couple shots

Comments/Needs/Concerns:

One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photo out of focus are an experimentation, one hundred photo out of focus are a style

Last edited by Aaagogo : 9th of January 2010 (Sat) at 17:46.
Aaagogo is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of January 2010 (Sat)   #2
Aaagogo
Goldmember

Default Re: Basic Wedding Photography Questionnaire For the Bride

post space saved for part 2 of the questionnaire

One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photo out of focus are an experimentation, one hundred photo out of focus are a style
Old 9th of January 2010 (Sat)   #3
RT McAllister

This is all really nice and I see you put a lot of work in it but...

...I wouldn't give a client anything in writing like this as it implies you are actually going to do all of these things. (which we know isn't always possible).

The, "fact gathering" part is fine though.
RT McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of January 2010 (Sat)   #4
kimmortal

This is so great, and your timing couldn't be more perfect for helping me out. Thank you so much for posting this. I'm just now ready to create this kind of document for my business, and I needed a place to start. Thank you for giving back.

www.kimwardphotography.com
kimmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of January 2010 (Sat)   #5
Aaagogo
Goldmember

there's nothing in it that says that I'm going to do all that.

I tell the bride-to-be that there's a basic questionnaire I have for her so I can know her event better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT McAllister View Post
This is all really nice and I see you put a lot of work in it but...

...I wouldn't give a client anything in writing like this as it implies you are actually going to do all of these things. (which we know isn't always possible).

The, "fact gathering" part is fine though.
not a prob, this forum has given me so much, so it's time to give back

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmortal View Post
This is so great, and your timing couldn't be more perfect for helping me out. Thank you so much for posting this. I'm just now ready to create this kind of document for my business, and I needed a place to start. Thank you for giving back.

Last edited by Aaagogo : 9th of January 2010 (Sat) at 17:47.
Old 10th of January 2010 (Sun)   #6
PMCphotography

I think every couple is unique and can't be pigeonholed into the adjectives you listed. They are all unique, and i think using a canned form like this undermines the relationship you are trying to build.

I think you should have a sense of who they are by what THEY tell you and how they interact... and you should try and pick up on that.

I think having a form like that implies you are going to do all of that. That's what i'd think if you gave me a form like that.
PMCphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of January 2010 (Sun)   #7
tim
Light Bringer

I like the idea of getting to know the couples better, but I don't think I like a questionnaire. I do something similar, more facts than your getting to know you stuff, but I talk to them and fill it in myself.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of January 2010 (Sun)   #8
PMCphotography

Yeah, i make lots of notes when I talk to them, but keep it all as a conversation instead of a questioning.
PMCphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of January 2010 (Sun)   #9
Aaagogo
Goldmember

which part of the questionnaire did I imply I was going to do anything?

it is not a contract or agreement or anything of that sort.

and there is "other" which the bride will fill in if needed...

Old 10th of January 2010 (Sun)   #10
Peacefield
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMCphotography View Post
Yeah, i make lots of notes when I talk to them, but keep it all as a conversation instead of a questioning.
This is kind of where I'm at. I want the couple engaged in a dialogue. While I appreciate the intent and effort, and though it may work for you, this feels too much like the third degree. I'd rather gather the same insights from the couple through a lighter more conversational process.

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all
Peacefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of January 2010 (Sun)   #11
RT McAllister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaagogo View Post
which part of the questionnaire did I imply I was going to do anything?
Other than the fact gathering part at the top, just about all of it.

"The end result of photography for your wedding should be: (pick as many as apply)"

Seriously, for the most part your clients should already know what you do and how you do it. That's why they picked you. Small details should be handled one-on-one, at least over the phone.

Again, there's nothing wrong with asking for the daily schedule so you can plan.
RT McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of January 2010 (Sun)   #12
AlexMoPhotography

If I were a bride and you e-mailed me this list, I would not pick you.

The list is just too daunting. It's already hectic enough planning your wedding. Filling out an extra questionnaire would make me feel like I'm either volunteering for a scientific study or signing up for some sort of dating seminar.

I used to carry around a list of things to remember or people to shoot, but at the end of the day it gets tossed and I just go with the flow. So far I have had ZERO complaints about missing photos or disagreements with style.

New Blog ---> The Alex Mo Photography Blog! <--
AlexMoPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of January 2010 (Sun)   #13
form
"inadequately equipped"

^ similar to points stated above.
Old 10th of January 2010 (Sun)   #14
angryhampster
"Got a thick monopod?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMoPhotography View Post
If I were a bride and you e-mailed me this list, I would not pick you.

The list is just too daunting. It's already hectic enough planning your wedding. Filling out an extra questionnaire would make me feel like I'm either volunteering for a scientific study or signing up for some sort of dating seminar.

I used to carry around a list of things to remember or people to shoot, but at the end of the day it gets tossed and I just go with the flow. So far I have had ZERO complaints about missing photos or disagreements with style.

Agreed with this. The bride (or groom) picks a photographer largely based on images that they've seen from the 'tog. By paying you, they are trusting your judgment, shooting and processing methods.

Do you really n eed to know specific information about the bride's dress? That's just ridiculous to me.
angryhampster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of January 2010 (Sun)   #15
jonwhite

That questionnaire and the promise of more to come would be enough in itself for me to NOT book you.

The vast majority of people out there do not enjoy filling in questionnaires, imagine if they got this sort of thing from some other vendors as well, it would drive B&G's mad!

Sit down and speak to potential couples to get to know them, don't throw paperwork at them and as far as integrating stuff from it into the contract thats another can of worms your opening up and making extra work for yourself, your contract should be as standard as possible.
jonwhite is offline   Reply With Quote