Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 09 Jan 2010 (Saturday) 21:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Your Best Wedding Group Shot?

Michelle ­ Brooks ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
SC
Jan 11, 2010 20:52 as a reply to post 9374808 |  #16

Julie, love those! The one with the groomsman hangin upside down is too, too awesome. And the ones with the girls all around the stone firepit is gorgeous; either you did a fantastic job positioning them or they are all natural born posers!

Michelle Brooks Photographyexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link
Gear List

sponsored links
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
SC
Jan 11, 2010 21:06 |  #17

ejicon wrote in post #9374705 (external link)
Can I play? :D
Nice shots... I love em all.

QUOTED IMAGE

This bunch looks like they were having a blast! Good capture!!

Michelle Brooks Photographyexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link
Gear List

Antz_Marchin
341 posts
Joined Apr 2007
St Catharines, Ontario
Jan 11, 2010 22:15 |  #18

picturecrazy wrote in post #9373779 (external link)
Don't know if they're my best, but these are a few that come to mind... :)

QUOTED IMAGE

I love this one. Any quick details on how you achieved this one without HDR (flash position, lens, any PP?). The depth is just great.

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,552 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Alberta, CANADA
Jan 12, 2010 00:46 |  #19

Michelle Brooks Photography wrote in post #9374462external link
You can tell I am a vertically challenged girl--height always fools me! So how doyou make sure your subjects are in focus if the camera is being held above your head like that?

You answered an unasked question of mine--if HDR was involved. That is incredible that you can get those results without it! I am just beginning to experiment with OCF and am excited about the results I will be getting!

Haha, I'm vertically challenged too, for a guy. Well, average for an asian but short by western standards.

I prefocus the lens before I take the shot. I use the distance scale on the lens to approximate focus. Then shoot at a decent aperture to give you some wiggle room. Back button focusing is paramount to this technique. If you are not already back button focusing, then DO it. It allows you MUCH more flexibility to completely separate focusing and shutter releasing.

Study flash well and there will be NO situation you cannot shoot in. Knowing flash and knowing how to use available light will really round out your skills and flexibility.

Antz_Marchin wrote in post #9375844external link
I love this one. Any quick details on how you achieved this one without HDR (flash position, lens, any PP?). The depth is just great.

That photo is an old one so I'm having trouble remembering. I think it was about 4-5 speedlites or so. The rest is done by adjusting the greyscale mix to bring up shadow areas and bring down highlights.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photographyexternal link
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographersexternal link
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographersexternal link
Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link |Instagramexternal link | Gear

sctbiggs
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Jun 2009
North Carolina
Jan 12, 2010 06:08 |  #20

picturecrazy wrote in post #9376509external link
I prefocus the lens before I take the shot. I use the distance scale on the lens to approximate focus. Then shoot at a decent aperture to give you some wiggle room. Back button focusing is paramount to this technique. If you are not already back button focusing, then DO it. It allows you MUCH more flexibility to completely separate focusing and shutter releasing.

so i figured all that when you were asked this question... well, everything except back button focusing. I'm terminology impaired... what is this? It's possible I already do it just don't know it is a technique or has a name.

Baby Girl 2.0 has arrived!
Facebookexternal link | Wilmington, NC Wedding and Portrait Photographersexternal link - The seriously outdated website.

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
SC
Jan 12, 2010 06:16 |  #21

sctbiggs wrote in post #9377402external link
so i figured all that when you were asked this question... well, everything except back button focusing. I'm terminology impaired... what is this? It's possible I already do it just don't know it is a technique or has a name.

I am not the one to answer any questions about this, since I am just now reading up on the tecnique myself, but here is a link to a Canon article about it http://www.usa.canon.c​om ...ArticleAct&articleI​D=2286external link amd here is a POTN thread about it http://photography-on-the.net ...ghlight=back+button​+focus
It still is confusing to me to read about it but I hope in theory works! I just need to start trying it out.

The pre-focusing with the distance scale is also something I don't understand. I had read it was no longer considered a viable technique, but obviously that is not true.

Gear List

sctbiggs
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Jun 2009
North Carolina
Jan 12, 2010 06:34 |  #22

I see... i just call it locking the focus. I rarely use it, maybe a few times at my kids soccer games. I may just try when it's time to kiss the bride at our next wedding.

Pre-focus, If you aren't gonna be able to see through your viewfinder or screen what you are focusing on, the best way to get it right on the first try is to pre-focus and then use AF lock. Or i guess, as it's called, back button focusing. I just try to avoide these situations. I'd find a taller ladder or climb that tree. :)

Facebookexternal link | Wilmington, NC Wedding and Portrait Photographersexternal link - The seriously outdated website.

kona77
Goldmember
1,636 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Southern ME
Jan 12, 2010 08:37 |  #23

picturecrazy wrote in post #9373779 (external link)
Don't know if they're my best, but these are a few that come to mind... :)

QUOTED IMAGE

That is a very powerful image. The perspective, the poses, the lighting, all is perfect. Job well done.

Proud father of a 10 year old son with Down Syndrome.

sctbiggs
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Jun 2009
North Carolina
Jan 12, 2010 08:40 |  #24

FamilyJules wrote in post #9374808 (external link)
Other than what I had posted in the other thread

QUOTED IMAGE

LOL, nice

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,552 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Alberta, CANADA
Jan 12, 2010 12:53 |  #25

Michelle Brooks Photography wrote in post #9377428 (external link)
I am not the one to answer any questions about this, since I am just now reading up on the tecnique myself, but here is a link to a Canon article about it http://www.usa.canon.c​om ...ArticleAct&articleI​D=2286 (external link) amd here is a POTN thread about it http://photography-on-the.net ...ghlight=back+button​+focus
It still is confusing to me to read about it but I hope in theory works! I just need to start trying it out.

The pre-focusing with the distance scale is also something I don't understand. I had read it was no longer considered a viable technique, but obviously that is not true.

Definitely switch to back/rear button focusing. I cannot think of any possible disadvantage for pro shooting. What camera do you have? The current cameras all have a dedicated rear focus button (AF-ON) because it has become such a standard technique. You still need to go into your custom functions to COMPLETELY DISABLE focusing on the shutter button. But if you have an older body, like the 30D or 5D which has no AF-ON button, set your custom function IV to 1. This will turn the * button on the back of your camera into the focusing button.

And who on earth said the distance scale is no longer a viable technique? It's surprising what kind of messages get sent around. I probably take at least 75 shots a wedding that are focused using the distance scale... mostly all my dancefloor photos that are taken overhead like this one:

IMAGE: http://www.nightanddayphoto.ca/misc/forumpics/POTN/TogList/29224712_9471.jpg

sctbiggs wrote in post #9377402 (external link)

sctbiggs wrote in post #9377494 (external link)
I see... i just call it locking the focus. I rarely use it, maybe a few times at my kids soccer games. I may just try when it's time to kiss the bride at our next wedding.

Pre-focus, If you aren't gonna be able to see through your viewfinder or screen what you are focusing on, the best way to get it right on the first try is to pre-focus and then use AF lock. Or i guess, as it's called, back button focusing. I just try to avoide these situations. I'd find a taller ladder or climb that tree. :)

Seriously, shoot your next entire wedding with rear button focusing. It *WILL* take a bit of getting used to, but after you've done it for a while, you'll NEVER want to go back. There are many advantages to it. Namely, precisely timed moments like the kiss you mentioned. You can just hit the focus button and lock focus, and then just wait until the exact moment they kiss and hit the button. No focus lag. It's about a million times easier to precisely time a shot.
Another advantage is that if you are taking a series of shots of the same subject/composition, you do not need to even refocus between shots. Focus once, blast off your 5-10 shots at your leisure. Again, with no focus lag. This is ESPECIALLY useful if you have to focus and recompose the shot 5 times to get 5 shots. Focus once, recompose once, blast off your 5 shots.
If you are using Servo focusing mode, it is so much easier to track your subject by holding the rear button and pressing the shutter when you need to. Servo with the shutter button always seems to mess up between shots... sometimes you let go of the button too much and it stops tracking, and has to re-establish focus between shots.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photographyexternal link
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographersexternal link
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographersexternal link
Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link |Instagramexternal link | Gear

sctbiggs
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Jun 2009
North Carolina
Jan 12, 2010 13:42 |  #26

maybe i'll play with it some at a bridal this week. guess i'll practice on the kids first.

jcolman
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
North Carolina
Jan 12, 2010 14:29 |  #27

A couple of my favorites

IMAGE: http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x148/jcolman_photo/wedding%20selects/tara-556.jpg

IMAGE: http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x148/jcolman_photo/leighanna%20and%20chris/leighanna-100.jpg

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.comexternal link

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
SC
Jan 12, 2010 15:03 |  #28

picturecrazy wrote in post #9379307 (external link)
What camera do you have?

I have a 50D and 7D, both of which have a designated AF On button. I keep reading and reading about this technique, I just can't seem to grasp it. I get confused on which situations call for just tapping the button, and which call for holding it down. I do a lot of candid portraiture of children, and I don't understand how I could focus in the eyes, move the camera (recompose) and still have the eyes in focus..?

And who on earth said the distance scale is no longer a viable technique?

I did a search on Distance Scale Focus because the book Understanding Exposure (Bryan Peterson) frequently mentions doing this, but doesn't explain how... anyway, the results from the search turned up a few sources (I think even here on POTN) that described it as a technique of past times....
mostly all my dancefloor photos that are taken overhead like this one:
QUOTED IMAGE

Obviously it works for you!

Seriously, shoot your next entire wedding with rear button focusing. It *WILL* take a bit of getting used to, but after you've done it for a while, you'll NEVER want to go back. There are many advantages to it. Namely, precisely timed moments like the kiss you mentioned. You can just hit the focus button and lock focus, and then just wait until the exact moment they kiss and hit the button. No focus lag. It's about a million times easier to precisely time a shot.
Another advantage is that if you are taking a series of shots of the same subject/composition, you do not need to even refocus between shots. Focus once, blast off your 5-10 shots at your leisure. Again, with no focus lag. This is ESPECIALLY useful if you have to focus and recompose the shot 5 times to get 5 shots. Focus once, recompose once, blast off your 5 shots.
If you are using Servo focusing mode, it is so much easier to track your subject by holding the rear button and pressing the shutter when you need to. Servo with the shutter button always seems to mess up between shots... sometimes you let go of the button too much and it stops tracking, and has to re-establish focus between shots.

Thanks!

Gear List

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
SC
Jan 12, 2010 15:09 |  #29

jcolman wrote in post #9379852 (external link)
A couple of my favorites

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

Both great, but I LOVE #2!

Gear List

S-Man
Goldmember
2,008 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Jan 12, 2010 15:13 |  #30

A couple of my favs

IMAGE: http://slickpix.smugmug.com/photos/657351680_n6AZ2-L.jpg

This one should have been better but it took me by surprise and I was running backwards whilst shooting :(
IMAGE: http://slickpix.smugmug.com/photos/638214906_NxJZw-L.jpg

sponsored links

37,445 views & 12 likes for this thread
Your Best Wedding Group Shot?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.