Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 09 Jan 2010 (Saturday) 21:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Your Best Wedding Group Shot?

Michelle ­ Brooks ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
SC
Jan 12, 2010 17:36 |  #31

S-Man wrote in post #9380097 (external link)
A couple of my favs
QUOTED IMAGE

This one should have been better but it took me by surprise and I was running backwards whilst shooting :(
QUOTED IMAGE

I am so glad I started this thread! These are beautiful, esp the second one!

Michelle Brooks Photographyexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link
Gear List

sponsored links
picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,552 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Alberta, CANADA
Jan 12, 2010 18:06 |  #32

Michelle Brooks Photography wrote in post #9380027external link
I have a 50D and 7D, both of which have a designated AF On button. I keep reading and reading about this technique, I just can't seem to grasp it. I get confused on which situations call for just tapping the button, and which call for holding it down. I do a lot of candid portraiture of children, and I don't understand how I could focus in the eyes, move the camera (recompose) and still have the eyes in focus..?

I did a search on Distance Scale Focus because the book Understanding Exposure (Bryan Peterson) frequently mentions doing this, but doesn't explain how... anyway, the results from the search turned up a few sources (I think even here on POTN) that described it as a technique of past times....

50D and 7D? Damn I'm jealous! I would really like a 7D. The wife is actually thinking I should get one, only because we have no decent video recording capability and we're expecting our first kid any day now.

Anyhow, the rear button focusing works just like shutter button focusing. If you are using AI Servo focusing mode, then you need to hold the button down to continuously track. But in servo mode, you cannot recompose a photo. If you are on one-shot focusing mode, then it works just like normal. Put your AF point on the target, press the AF-ON button and the AF point should flash. Once the camera has achieved focus lock, then it will flash a second time. At this point you can let go of the AF-ON button and recompose. Often, the AF lock confirmation flash will be IMMEDIATELY after the first flash, so it'll look like one flash. But if you look closely, it should flash twice. Now, when you recompose, there is never any guarantee that your target will still be in focus. That is just a danger of recomposing, which is why I try to do it as little as possible, and I always select the closest AF point to my target. This is also why I do not like the 5D line as the point layout is really poor and FORCES a larger degree of recomposing.

Keep trying it. If you have troubles, shoot me a PM.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photographyexternal link
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographersexternal link
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographersexternal link
Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link |Instagramexternal link | Gear

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
SC
Jan 12, 2010 21:47 |  #33

picturecrazy wrote in post #9381093external link
50D and 7D? Damn I'm jealous! I would really like a 7D. The wife is actually thinking I should get one, only because we have no decent video recording capability and we're expecting our first kid any day now.

Anyhow, the rear button focusing works just like shutter button focusing. If you are using AI Servo focusing mode, then you need to hold the button down to continuously track. But in servo mode, you cannot recompose a photo. If you are on one-shot focusing mode, then it works just like normal. Put your AF point on the target, press the AF-ON button and the AF point should flash. Once the camera has achieved focus lock, then it will flash a second time. At this point you can let go of the AF-ON button and recompose. Often, the AF lock confirmation flash will be IMMEDIATELY after the first flash, so it'll look like one flash. But if you look closely, it should flash twice. Now, when you recompose, there is never any guarantee that your target will still be in focus. That is just a danger of recomposing, which is why I try to do it as little as possible, and I always select the closest AF point to my target. This is also why I do not like the 5D line as the point layout is really poor and FORCES a larger degree of recomposing.

Ok, I have to 'fess up--the 7D is really my husband's; of course, the understanding is I can use it whenever I want! Congratulations on the coming bambino! You are about to enter a whole 'nother realm in taking photos!

I practiced a little bit tonite with the back button; I don't have it down, but kind of got the hang of it. i am going to keep at it, cause I think it may be a vital step in my evolution as a photographer. Don't be surprised if I do PM you to pick your brain!

Michelle Brooks Photographyexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link
Gear List

mjamesv
100 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Jan 13, 2010 10:18 |  #34

That men in black photo, did he really hang upside down? Nice shot.

FamilyJules
Goldmember
3,104 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Southern California
Jan 13, 2010 15:38 |  #35

mjamesv wrote in post #9384957external link
That men in black photo, did he really hang upside down? Nice shot.

Yep :) this group was like play-doh...... Willing to do whatever we asked ;)

*Jules* Gear: 2 x 7D| 40D | 2 x 17-55 2.8 | 50mm 1.4 | 85 1.4 | 70-200 2.8 IS |28-135 IS | 3 x 580EX II | www.JulieWilsonPhotos.​comexternal link or join me on Facebookexternal link

Svetlana
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Joined May 2008
Calgary, AB
Jan 13, 2010 16:12 |  #36

picturecrazy wrote in post #9381093external link

omg congratulations on the coming baby!!! so happy for you and Mary! Thanks for such a detailed explanation, Lloyd, I will give it a try, too.

Congrats on the great news once again! :D:D:D

Canon 7D, 5Dmk2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS, Canon 50 1.2L, 35 1.4L, 85 1.8, Canon 16-35L, Canon 100 2.8L IS Macro, Speedlight 580EX II x 2, 430 EX, enthusiasm.:D http://svetlanayanova.​com/external link

Join me on Facebookexternal link! :)

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
SC
Jan 13, 2010 19:44 as a reply to post 9379307 |  #37

Definitely switch to back/rear button focusing. I cannot think of any possible disadvantage for pro shooting. What camera do you have? The current cameras all have a dedicated rear focus button (AF-ON) because it has become such a standard technique. You still need to go into your custom functions to COMPLETELY DISABLE focusing on the shutter button. But if you have an older body, like the 30D or 5D which has no AF-ON button, set your custom function IV to 1. This will turn the * button on the back of your camera into the focusing button.

And who on earth said the distance scale is no longer a viable technique? It's surprising what kind of messages get sent around. I probably take at least 75 shots a wedding that are focused using the distance scale... mostly all my dancefloor photos that are taken overhead like this one:

IMAGE: http://www.nightanddayphoto.ca/misc/forumpics/POTN/TogList/29224712_9471.jpg

Seriously, shoot your next entire wedding with rear button focusing. It *WILL* take a bit of getting used to, but after you've done it for a while, you'll NEVER want to go back. There are many advantages to it. Namely, precisely timed moments like the kiss you mentioned. You can just hit the focus button and lock focus, and then just wait until the exact moment they kiss and hit the button. No focus lag. It's about a million times easier to precisely time a shot.
Another advantage is that if you are taking a series of shots of the same subject/composition, you do not need to even refocus between shots. Focus once, blast off your 5-10 shots at your leisure. Again, with no focus lag. This is ESPECIALLY useful if you have to focus and recompose the shot 5 times to get 5 shots. Focus once, recompose once, blast off your 5 shots.
If you are using Servo focusing mode, it is so much easier to track your subject by holding the rear button and pressing the shutter when you need to. Servo with the shutter button always seems to mess up between shots... sometimes you let go of the button too much and it stops tracking, and has to re-establish focus between shots.[/QUOTE]

Ok I know I started this thread and I'm getting off the subject, but i need to revisit this back button focusing one more time--sometimes it seems like people are stating you should have your camera set to either AI Servo or One Shot and use the back button held down (Servo) or tap it (One Shot). But this article here http://www.birdsasart.​com/ (external link) seems to be saying that you can have your camera set to Servo, & if you hold it down it acts as Servo, but if you tap it, it acts like One Shot...I've been playing with it today, but I am really confused as to when to let off on the button and when to hold down. Sorry if this sounds crazy!:rolleyes:

Gear List

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,302 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Jan 14, 2010 22:11 |  #38

Arthur Morris is right. With * button for focus you can be in AI servo mode and still take shots like in one shot mode. While in AI servo mode press your * button to focus, now release it. As long as subject dones't move your focus is set. If you want to recompose, do it. Now to take shot, press shutter. You got same thing as in one shot mode. Now if subject is moving, keep * pressed and camera will track the subject. Simple.

Almost all sports shooters do it this way. So much easier. But don't give your camera to newbies to take a shot of you.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
SC
Jan 15, 2010 06:28 |  #39

bobbyz wrote in post #9396194external link
Arthur Morris is right. With * button for focus you can be in AI servo mode and still take shots like in one shot mode. While in AI servo mode press your * button to focus, now release it. As long as subject dones't move your focus is set. If you want to recompose, do it. Now to take shot, press shutter. You got same thing as in one shot mode. Now if subject is moving, keep * pressed and camera will track the subject. Simple.

Almost all sports shooters do it this way. So much easier. But don't give your camera to newbies to take a shot of you.

All righty! Your explanation was so simple & clear, I think I got it! Thanks!

Gear List

TheCor
428 posts
Joined Sep 2008
Jan 15, 2010 12:35 |  #40

IMAGE: http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb272/deadpoetic__/IMG_3650-800.jpg

6D | 70-200 f2.8 is ii | 24-105 f4L | 50mm f1.8 | 40D | 17-55 IS f2.8 | Canon 580EXII | Yongnuo 565EX | YN622C's
facebook.com/csaphotog​raphieexternal link
csaphotograpie.comexternal link

jhcanon
196 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Dark side of the moon
Jan 15, 2010 15:13 |  #41

TheCor wrote in post #9399521 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Great capture - you actually got this on camera didn't you?! Kinda dispels the rumour that doves always flutter to the ground when released.

The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong

primalcarl
488 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Devon, UK
Jan 15, 2010 17:08 |  #42

Some nice shots. What kind of apertures do you guys use for group shots?

http://csimages.daport​folio.com/external link
My Flickrexternal link
Canon 550D 15-85 70-300L 430exII

pni173
324 posts
Joined Aug 2004
Whangarei, New Zealand
Jan 15, 2010 19:42 |  #43

jcolman wrote in post #9379852 (external link)
A couple of my favorites

QUOTED IMAGE

How did you light this one? it's unreal....

Canon EOS 70D 18-135 IS STM

jcolman
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
North Carolina
Jan 16, 2010 00:03 |  #44

pni173 wrote in post #9401982external link
How did you light this one? it's unreal....

Very simple actually. On camera 580EX for a touch of fill. Mother nature did the rest. Shady spot for the win.

My usual lighting technique involves a rather large softbox and monolight so this was a piece of cake.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.comexternal link

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,620 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Jan 16, 2010 02:01 as a reply to jcolman's post |  #45

This was my first big wedding.....and I was shooting my brand new 20D.....Wish I knew then what I know now.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

sponsored links

37,376 views & 12 likes for this thread
Your Best Wedding Group Shot?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.