Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th of January 2010 (Mon)   #1
barronchung

Default Fibre optic light loss and use as speedlite light modifier

I was just wondering if anyone has tried using fibre optic cables as a light modifier to redirect or scatter light? My thinking is that since this material was designed to transmit light it wouldn't have as much light loss as with other modifiers, and would have tighter control of the direction of the light so you could use it to replace those Strobist black straw grids by pointing them all at one spot. Another use would be to scatter the light with less loss than using tupperware (or their commercial equivalents) by having the cables pointing in random directions.

I've seen people create small ring flashes for macro photography by redirecting their onboard flash or speedlites to point around the ring of their lens using fibre optic cables, but it's not what I am imagining right now.

My idea would be to get a bunch of cheap fibre optic cables (dollar store flashlights or wherever), and tying or gluing them into several bundles intertwined with twist ties or some other bendable material so they can be easily repositioned but still rigid enough that they can stay put wherever you point them. I guess it would make your speedlite look like it had dreadlocks or maybe I'd call it "the Medusa" hahaha

Would it do what I wanted? Idunno. Would it look funny? Oh yeah. Would anyone still be laughing if it worked?... OK yeah I'd still laugh at it LOL