Thread started 15 Jan 2010 (Friday) 17:44   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Xenoxide
Hatchling
Joined Dec 2009
5 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Howdy guys,

I'm looking for something between the Lowepro Fastpack 200 and the Mini Trekker AW.

Thing is, the Fastpack is missing straps for a tripod, and an integrated raincover.

The Mini Trekker is missing a seperate compartment that can be used to hold clothes (Fleeces, dry socks and shirts, etc) and survival gear (Carabiners, first-aid kit, compass, etc).

Is there something (Not necessarilly Lowepro) that will fullfill these requirements? Oh, and it also must be able to hold a body + 70-200 f2.8L with 2 or 3 other lenses.

Ta much!

Post #1, Jan 15, 2010 17:44:06

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Nick5
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
2,359 posts
Philadelphia Suburbs
[MORE/SHARE]

As they say in the music world: Roadie.
If Lowepro would add the AW Cover and tripod holder to the Fastpack 350, that might be the one.
You can always buy an external cover for the Fastpack, but does not meet the need for the tripod holder.
The Minitrekker AW would not allow you to stuff all your stuff in the front compartment unfortunately.

Post #2, Jan 16, 2010 09:10:59

Canon 5D Mark III, BG-E11 Grip, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 10-22, 17-40 f/4 L, 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 4 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

iAMB
Joined Mar 2009
689 posts
St. Louis
[MORE/SHARE]

have you thought about the ThinkTank Rotation 360. It might be more limiting with the lenses, but it allows for expansion with the use of there modular system. Just a thought as I am saving up for one myself

Post #3, Jan 16, 2010 09:30:46

5Dc, EOS-1n, AE-1
24-70mmL , 50mm 1.8 Full Gear List
"I'm so far behind, it looks like I'm winning"
-Adam

gotak
Joined May 2009
949 posts
Toronto, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Kata 3n1-30 might do the trick for you, providing you get the tripod holder accessory. You might also want to look into the national geographic backpacks.

Personally, I am using a lowepro rover AW II with the following in the camera compartment:

7D, 70-200 2.8 IS, 17-50, 10-20, 50 1.8, 2x TC, 480ex.

You can't fit the camera with the 70-200 2.8 IS attached but I generally don't use that lens out of the blue. I can also add my 055CXPRO3 to the tripod holder and it's held very firmly and the total weight isn't a problem for my 5 foot 6 frame. The straps works quite well I find. Only negative is it's fiddly backpack in that getting lens and body out means putting it on the ground. And getting the tripod out also takes a minute or so.

Post #4, Jan 16, 2010 16:37:57

http://bubble-trees.com/external link
7D x2,, 50 f1.8, 11-16 f2.8, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 100 2.8L, 430EX, 580EX, Di866, pixel king wireless TTL trigger.

Xenoxide
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Dec 2009
5 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

gotak wrote in post #9406667external link
Personally, I am using a lowepro rover AW II

How did I miss that one! I was looking on the LowePro website too. :oops:

How much room does the top compartment have? Enough for clothes, first-aid kit, torches, gps, packed lunch, etc? Would it be asking too much if it could hold a spare set of shoes? :D

Thanks!

Post #5, Jan 16, 2010 18:08:00

sponsored links
Habu
Joined Apr 2009
21 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Xenoxide wrote in post #9401437external link
Howdy guys,

I'm looking for something between the Lowepro Fastpack 200 and the Mini Trekker AW.

Thing is, the Fastpack is missing straps for a tripod, and an integrated raincover.

The Mini Trekker is missing a seperate compartment that can be used to hold clothes (Fleeces, dry socks and shirts, etc) and survival gear (Carabiners, first-aid kit, compass, etc).

Is there something (Not necessarilly Lowepro) that will fullfill these requirements? Oh, and it also must be able to hold a body + 70-200 f2.8L with 2 or 3 other lenses.

Ta much!

Hello from France

What about the new PRO RUNNERâ„¢ Series or the old Lowepro Computrekker AW ?

Sincerely yours

Habu

Post #6, Jan 17, 2010 03:35:54

gotak
Joined May 2009
949 posts
Toronto, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Xenoxide wrote in post #9407152external link
How did I miss that one! I was looking on the LowePro website too. :oops:

How much room does the top compartment have? Enough for clothes, first-aid kit, torches, gps, packed lunch, etc? Would it be asking too much if it could hold a spare set of shoes? :D

Thanks!

It's day pack not a full out couple days in the woods sort of backpack. So you can fit flash light, lunch, GPS and some clothing in there but the shoes will have to hang off the outside. However, don't expect to pack like a full pick nick kit and a full change of cloths plus stuff in that top. It's not that big. To give you an idea my dell D620 laptop doesn't fit in the top compartment but my full sized thermos will so the shape of the items also matters.

Post #7, Jan 18, 2010 12:10:53

http://bubble-trees.com/external link
7D x2,, 50 f1.8, 11-16 f2.8, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 100 2.8L, 430EX, 580EX, Di866, pixel king wireless TTL trigger.

snails
"I used the last of it to tip the strippers."
Joined Jan 2008
1,515 posts
Lawndale, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

CompuRover AW - It has room for everything you're talking about. See what you can fit in hereexternal link.

Primus AW - Slightly smaller in case you don't need the cargo capacity of a C-5 Galaxy.

Post #8, Jan 18, 2010 12:18:59

Scott - www.scott-photo.comexternal link- gear list
Camera Bag Reviews - The Complete List
You don't want my advice.

Xenoxide
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Dec 2009
5 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

gotak, that's excellent thanks. I'm not talking about being out for a couple of days; more just like a few hours (Morning till night usually) but I do like to go some fairly tough places. Wet feet/shoes is very much commonplace, as is very cold weather, hence the shoes and clothes. ;)

snails, I think I'd probably go for the Rover instead of CompuRover as taking camera gear is one thing (That's the whole point! :p), but it'd be a cold day in hell when I take my MacBook with me. That is, unless it has a larger top section? Looking at thisexternal link photo I should be able to fit everything I need in there. :)

Post #9, Jan 19, 2010 15:51:55

snails
"I used the last of it to tip the strippers."
Joined Jan 2008
1,515 posts
Lawndale, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Xenoxide wrote in post #9427582external link
gotak, that's excellent thanks. I'm not talking about being out for a couple of days; more just like a few hours (Morning till night usually) but I do like to go some fairly tough places. Wet feet/shoes is very much commonplace, as is very cold weather, hence the shoes and clothes. ;)

snails, I think I'd probably go for the Rover instead of CompuRover as taking camera gear is one thing (That's the whole point! :p), but it'd be a cold day in hell when I take my MacBook with me. That is, unless it has a larger top section? Looking at thisexternal link photo I should be able to fit everything I need in there. :)

The CompuRover is larger, (12"x6"x12" vs 11"x5"x11") and if you don't need to take your laptop you can just leave that pocket empty.

Post #10, Jan 19, 2010 16:46:44

Scott - www.scott-photo.comexternal link- gear list
Camera Bag Reviews - The Complete List
You don't want my advice.

argyle
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2007
8,179 posts
DFW, Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

I have the Rover AW II as well as the Dryzone Rover...both will carry plenty in the top compartment: fleece, gloves, tool kit, first aid kit, flashlight (which can also be clipped to the pack on the outside), food/snacks, small hand towel, as well as other necessities. Shoes or boots will be pushing it...best to clip or tie those to the outside. To keep my filters handy, I have a Tamrac filter wallet that I clip to one side of the waist strap (this holds three 77mm filters). On the other side of the waist strap, I clip a Lowepro utility pouch which holds my GND's and holder. Bottom line is, either Rover is more than adequate for a full day of hiking.

Post #11, Jan 19, 2010 16:52:52 as a reply to Xenoxide's post 1 hour earlier.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,593 views & 0 likes for this thread
Trekking Backpack
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES