Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th of January 2010 (Sun)   #1
43 North

Default My event and on scene trailer. PICS

So I thought I would post this up to share since I did a search and did not find anything. A little background on this trailer....... I bought it new a couple of years ago and it is an enclosed gun metal grey Interstate trailer.

The in cab enclosed length is 14 feet. It has a fold down rear ramp door and a side man door. When I bought the trailer I added the work bench and peg board. I also wired the entire trailer for AC power with a plug on the outside to hook up to an outlet or generator. There are three plug ins within the trailer and two sets of florescent lights. All of the outlets, switches, and wiring is rated for 20amps so adding heaters etc. is no problem. I also have a 12v RV deep cycle battery wired up in the trailer with a large AC converter that can run the equipment for a short while if I do not want to setup the generator.

Sorry for the crappy pictures but they were point and shoot camera in the rain

This first picture was taken standing at the end of the fold down ramp. Just an overall shot. In the lower right corner the yellow thing is a small suuuuper quiet generator that can run the trailer. The long table is a fold up one that stores along side one of the walls. Directly above it between the sets of lights is a power plug set that can run laptops etc. if needed. Also folding chairs along the right wall.

In this picture is just a general picture of the work bench. I just installed the computer and monitor today. Also mounted to the ceiling is a CD player/radio that runs off a power inverter, gotta have tunes right? Don't mind the tools and other items, I do use this trailer for other things from time to time.

I set this computer up with two hard drive hot swap bays, when pictures are downloaded on scene they are put on the original drive and then backed up onto these two other drives so there is a total of three records. This should help in not losing any data I also have a battery backup surge protected supply next to the computer. The large tote is actually my version of a Vagabond. It contains a similar battery power supply like next to the computer. I have wired the tote so that when you flip up the clear plastic tops there are AC plugins. It can also store some small photog items. The great thing is it is on wheels so just pull and go. When it is stored it plugs into AC power to recharge.

Any other questions or comments are welcomed.
www.43northphotography.com
43 North is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of January 2010 (Sun)   #2
kmarriner

Default Re: My event and on scene trailer. PICS

I want to know more about this battery tote.
kmarriner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of January 2010 (Sun)   #3
43 North

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarriner View Post
I want to know more about this battery tote.
Tomorrow when it is not raining I will go out and take some more in depth pictures to post up.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of January 2010 (Mon)   #4
J.Napier

I have a similar setup but mine can be easily pulled out and brought indoors at some of the other events I cover.
If you go to my Blog ling below scroll to the bottom and you can see it there.
Thanks for sharing yours.
J.Napier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of January 2010 (Mon)   #5
43 North

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Napier View Post
I have a similar setup but mine can be easily pulled out and brought indoors at some of the other events I cover.
If you go to my Blog ling below scroll to the bottom and you can see it there.
Thanks for sharing yours.
Nice Jeff! How are the viewing stations setup? Do they each monitor have a PC attached to it? Can you please explain in more detail how your operation runs? I don't see any printers so I assume you sell on the web and outsource prints?

I like the cabinets that you have as well. Nice truck by the way.....

One thing I am wondering is when do you "open" for business at these events? After it is over? Or do you have an assistant in the trailer and come back every so often to download new pictures? Any more info on working during an event etc. would be great!

Last edited by 43 North : 18th of January 2010 (Mon) at 02:51.
Old 18th of January 2010 (Mon)   #6
sspellman

Your trailer looks like a good asset, but how does it add value to your services and business?
Old 18th of January 2010 (Mon)   #7
43 North

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspellman View Post
Your trailer looks like a good asset, but how does it add value to your services and business?
I am not sure at this point. To be honest with you minus the computer that I installed in it yesterday, the trailer has been setup like this for over a year. I used it for a small dune buggy that I used to own. I just figured that since I no longer have the dune buggy this is the direction I would start to take the trailer....... make sense?

So if anything it is more of a convenient place to house all of my gear and for it to be mobile. Not sure if this answers your question.....
Old 18th of January 2010 (Mon)   #8
golfecho

I am wondering, like Scott what the end-game is? I have seen folks covering large High School sporting events (like major rowing regattas) where they have someone out on the bridge shooting multiple shots of every boat that goes by, and then a runner taking the memory cards to someone in their "trailer" who sorts and sets up the photos on a display for instant (on site) printing. This is a scenario that I can easily see a trailer like yours being used for. But from your posting, I am wondering if you have the cart before the horse? Are you going to develop your photography business/model based on what you have in your driveway, or are you going to build or develop a business target and model and then equip yourself accordingly?
Old 18th of January 2010 (Mon)   #9
43 North

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfecho View Post
I am wondering, like Scott what the end-game is? I have seen folks covering large High School sporting events (like major rowing regattas) where they have someone out on the bridge shooting multiple shots of every boat that goes by, and then a runner taking the memory cards to someone in their "trailer" who sorts and sets up the photos on a display for instant (on site) printing. This is a scenario that I can easily see a trailer like yours being used for. But from your posting, I am wondering if you have the cart before the horse? Are you going to develop your photography business/model based on what you have in your driveway, or are you going to build or develop a business target and model and then equip yourself accordingly?
Again guys...... my point is that I already had this setup as is, all I did is install the computer, which I actually had sitting around as well. My thinking is that it did not cost me ANYTHING as it was all already done. I have not done anything with event photography before, only portraits. My initial thinking was a quick way to have all of my equipment mobile for portraits as well as a good storage area. That way if doing say a senior shoot outdoors all I have to do is hook up and go.

This would allow me quick access to all my gear, a great place for outfit changes, a place to dump memory cards when they are full, a place to get out of the weather if it goes south, etc.

The idea of the event photography just kind of evolved when I realized what the possibilities were for the future. I am sorry that my title may be a little missleading because I did but the word "event" in it, but my initial conception was for the "on scene" part of the title which is what I am referring to when talking about the outside senior shoots.

Thanks for the feedback and again I am just exploring potential avenues that I could go down.
Old 18th of January 2010 (Mon)   #10
shphoto32

Wow, that's a pretty sweet setup. It'd be a great setup for quick turn around stuff. Like processing some images from the wedding for a reception. You could get one of those fancy printers in there and print out 8x10s. I like it.
shphoto32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of January 2010 (Mon)   #11
dinko

you should put in some vinyl flooring and pimp the rest of that thing out...

looks awesome i'm sure a lot of people are jealous of you right now haha.

DINKODESIGN.COM
- BRANDING | PACKAGING | ILLUSTRATION | WEB DESIGN | PHOTOGRAPHY
dinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of January 2010 (Mon)   #12
WillMass

These photos are about 6 years old, from right after I put it on the road. There have been numerous upgrades since then, but you get the idea.

http://www.redlineeventphoto.com/id13.html
Old 18th of January 2010 (Mon)   #13
J.Napier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43 North View Post
Nice Jeff! How are the viewing stations setup? Do they each monitor have a PC attached to it? Can you please explain in more detail how your operation runs? I don't see any printers so I assume you sell on the web and outsource prints?

I like the cabinets that you have as well. Nice truck by the way.....

One thing I am wondering is when do you "open" for business at these events? After it is over? Or do you have an assistant in the trailer and come back every so often to download new pictures? Any more info on working during an event etc. would be great!
To see my view station setup or how it works go to Photo Parata and have a look around. That is the software I use.
I can run up to 10 monitors with one PC, I curently have 5 but hope to add another 4-5 soon. A dedicated server would ultimetly be best, but for now I run a Quad core with 4 gig of ram for injestion but XP only recoginizes 3 of it. I use an other duplicate machine for fullfilment and processing orders.
There are other opitions that you could have virtually unrestricted moitors but that requires a different hardware than what I am running right now but may switch to later. The size of the shows that I am doing right now does not require anymore than 5-10.
I do have photos you would just need to go to my website to see those. I do have a DNP DS 80 Dye sub printer but it was not set up in this photo, it normally would set on the bench top behind the PC's.
I to bought this trailer a few years back for my construction business and it evolved into this as my photography business has grown. I have figured that I would also use this for location senior shoots. The trailer came as you see it with cabinets and all. I will add another table on the other side with 4-5 more monitors this spring for baseball/softball tourneys but using smaller tables to allow more people in comfortably.
Thanks for the truck compliments I actually came to your neck of the woods (Kellogg) 4 years ago to pick it up, course it wasnt quite as tall nor had nearlly double the price of the truck invested into it at that time.... lol. Where in Idaho are you? I have some friends in Boise.
It would take me awhile to explain and for you to absorb all that went into building this system but I can answer questions as you read and research when needed. Just send a PM as it wont take up valuable space here.
it depends on the event/sport that we are covering as to how the cards get to the person doing the ingesting but its fairly all the same. Cheer events move at light speed it seems like so you need a runner but most others can be done with two people but three works best.
As soon as we get there we set up and try to see if anyone is interested in signing up for us to foucs on theier athelete, but we try to shoot everyone we normally have the photos up by the time the game or routine is over, agian cheer/dance happens so fast but we still get them up with in minutes of them finishing there routine.
Thats it in a nutshell. First thing is be comortable with the photgraphy end of things sports/events. Second get your equipment together and know how to use it and its ins and outs. Third get some events to cover and see what happens.
Of course this all goes without mentioning the legal aspect license,insurance and so on but you get the picture Im sure.
We will talk more Im sure.
J.Napier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of January 2010 (Tue)   #14
43 North

So per a persistant request here is the battery box I put together..... I am kind of a piece it together kind of guy so let me explain how this came about.

I purchased the case at Home Depot for around $30 if I remember correct for a different project that fell through. As you can see in this photo I have installed an AC outlet, 12v plug ins, and some other 12v connectors. You can see the pull out handle to the left that allows to roll the tote around.

You can see under the lid how the wiring is done. I do not have the 12v power hooked up right now as you can see, but could easily add a gel cell battery anytime. There is a yellow plastic tool type tray that lifts out that is not in the pictures, this provides for some other storage.

This just shows the backup battery supply that I am using. My work was going to throw this away so I snagged it to see what I could do with it. All it needed was two new batteries inside of it and it was back to new. Yes the foam blocks are very high tech to hold it in place.

The power supply is a "Smart UPS" series. I did a bit of research and found out this supply actually provides a true sign wave instead of the common modified wave therefore making it safe for strobes. You can see the hole that I cut in the back of the tote where the power cord for the power supply pulls through to plug in and charge. On the back of the supply there are 4 different AC outlets. I just created my own cord to connect and plug in the AC outlet that was installed on the tote lid. To use the supply on battery power you just simply turn on the power button. When you are not using it just shut it off. It works good because when I plug it in to charge it does not turn on the power supply, just charges the batteries in it. To be honest I have not put it through a long photo shoot yet that will test how long the batteries will last. If I remember correctly there is a total of 24 amp hours with the two batteries. Again I kind of just had most of this stuff laying around that I put together. I also like that I can pack more stuff in the tote when I need it and roll it around. Truthfully, I will end up getting a Vagabond someday

Last edited by 43 North : 19th of January 2010 (Tue) at 22:43.
Old 19th of January 2010 (Tue)   #15
sspellman

Mike-

When I think of my photography business, I try to make investments of time and resources that will bring the most benefit or provide me a competetive advantage. You know your business best, but it doesn't seem to me that this acomplishes that and that there is some aditional cost to use this. Plus, with a desktop computer bolted to the floor I would be very worried about hard drive errors caused by vibration. New lenses, studio lights, on site printer, advertising, etc could be better investments for your business.

-Scott