Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd of January 2010 (Fri)   #1
Nevilleblack

Question Any Experience with LED video lights on DSLR?

Considering buying one to use with natural light shots but would like something with a bit of power to it. So far it seems most have little but Im sure there's more power for the money.
Wondering if anybody has used video lighting with photography and whats your experience and recommendation?
Old 23rd of January 2010 (Sat)   #2
symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Any Experience with LED video lights on DSLR?

I've used a Litepanels Micro, it works rather well. Could use a slight bit more power at times, but i have no real complaint. And actually i have it for sale, we bring a Ranger RX with us now..
Old 23rd of January 2010 (Sat)   #3
Nevilleblack

Do you have sample shots with the Litepanels?
Old 23rd of January 2010 (Sat)   #4
kalieaire

I'll second Litepanels Micro. it's really cheap, light, and nice, it also comes with gels to warm up your lighting to match tungsten or green to match fluorescent ambient.

I personally use the Canon VL10-li II. I have a few of these since they were only 90 bucks or so each.

I don't know if you pay much attention to Japanese Gravure photography, but they often use a color corrected Par38 lamp (parabolic aluminized reflector) on a Gooseneck (flexarm). They will often use these in place or in addition to a reflector.

This allows them to take shots with large aperture to make shots look more natural, especially when the subject is backlit by the sun in a dark room, they use the lamp for fill.

The Japanese method is the cheapest, but you're dependent on plug-in power. I mean a manfrotto heavy duty flexarm, an edison socket, a mount and a superclamp, you've got 90-250 watts of lighting at under 100 bucks.
kalieaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of January 2010 (Sat)   #5
symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop

Sure, it was used in these two photos. Aimed at the faces in both photos...