Thread started 30 Jan 2010 (Saturday) 01:20   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

jonahrei
Joined Dec 2009
284 posts
Oakland, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi all,

I'm a newb and this is my second post in this section. I've had my camera for 1 month and I just want any c&c to improve my new hobby. These 2 shots were taken from a 7d 50mm f1.4.

Thanks.

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2758/4314869267_f9c0e37a0a_o.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4035/4315606004_9451aa83ce_o.jpg

Post #1, Jan 30, 2010 01:20:01

5D MK II | 7D | 70-200L F4 IS | 24-70L F2.8 | 17-40L F4 | Σ 85 F1.4 | Σ 50 F1.4 | Σ 15 F2.8 Fisheye | 2 Alien Bees 1600 | Alien Bee 400 | 580 EXII | Cybersyncs

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
10,145 posts
One Mile Beach, NSW, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

#2 got something...Nice shot - as if she just jumped off the back of the ute ( = utility vehicle for the non Australians... :) ). The first one is too soft and should be cropped farther to the right - with more space for her to look at you...

Post #2, Jan 30, 2010 01:57:57

Cheers from Henk.
It is all in the eye of the beholder.....
5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Have a look at my photos on Flickr!external link and on my portfolio web site.external link

seaside
Slapped with a ridiculous title
Joined Apr 2008
5,472 posts
North Carolina Coast
[MORE/SHARE]

I agree #2 is better. A ramp, like those used for a handicapped person off the tailgate would have created an interesting image :)

Post #3, Jan 30, 2010 08:24:17 as a reply to vk2gwk's post 6 hours earlier.

Chris
Creative Tools / ZENFOLIOexternal link
Someone stole all of my photography equipment and replaced it with exact duplicates.

joedlh
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
4,596 posts
Long Island, NY, North America, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.
[MORE/SHARE]

In both cases, you have your subject looking out the narrowest side of the image. It's better to have her looking into the center.

While others extol the virtues of the f/1.4 lens, the narrow depth of field places great demands on the photographer's sensitivity to where the focus is. In both shots, the hat fibers on her forehead are in focus, but her eyes are not. The cardinal rule of any kind of photography is that if there are eyes in it, they must be the point of focus.

Post #4, Jan 30, 2010 12:34:49

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
Joined Jul 2007
44,987 posts
Nanaimo,B.C.
[MORE/SHARE]

I side with Joe on this one..the eyes need to be clear.I like the first.similar to the other one you posted of her.

Post #5, Jan 30, 2010 12:36:38 as a reply to joedlh's post 1 minute earlier.

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

sponsored links
jonahrei
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2009
284 posts
Oakland, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

joedlh wrote in post #9504688external link
In both cases, you have your subject looking out the narrowest side of the image. It's better to have her looking into the center.

While others extol the virtues of the f/1.4 lens, the narrow depth of field places great demands on the photographer's sensitivity to where the focus is. In both shots, the hat fibers on her forehead are in focus, but her eyes are not. The cardinal rule of any kind of photography is that if there are eyes in it, they must be the point of focus.

Flo wrote in post #9504701external link
I side with Joe on this one..the eyes need to be clear.I like the first.similar to the other one you posted of her.

thanks for the input. i'll make sure to focus on the eyes and get the pic when she's looking towards the center.

Post #6, Jan 30, 2010 12:48:23

5D MK II | 7D | 70-200L F4 IS | 24-70L F2.8 | 17-40L F4 | Σ 85 F1.4 | Σ 50 F1.4 | Σ 15 F2.8 Fisheye | 2 Alien Bees 1600 | Alien Bee 400 | 580 EXII | Cybersyncs

disjecta
Joined Jan 2010
602 posts
Seattle, WA
[MORE/SHARE]

For portraiture such as the first shot, I rarely open the lens any more than f2.8. Usually I will only open up a fast lens to the max aperture if I am trying to separate a person or thing from what's behind and in front of it and usually when the subject is at least ten feet away. This is not a hard and fast rule, just one I keep in mind for myself. Many portrait photographers find that between f4 and f5.6 is about right for a medium or medium close portrait.

Now all of that is assuming you are just wanting to shoot a standard portrait. There are many reasons when you might want to veer away from that standard. I sometimes do that myself when I only want the eyes to be in focus and the rest of the face to be blurred. It creates a very intimate and, some might say, claustrophobic feeling. Problems arise when your subject's eyes are not exactly parallel with the lens and one eye is in focus and the other slightly soft...mostly this is distracting and not a desired effect.

Like I always say, learn the rules and, when they become second nature, transfer your thinking from your head to your heart. When you do break the rules, you will be doing so deliberately and with a specific purpose. Stick to your vision and let that be your guide but always listen to what your peers have to say. Sometimes what they advise you for one shot may be knowledge you can use in a future shoot so always remain open to criticism.

Most of all, don't get too caught up in the technical details. You have a lifetime to learn all that stuff but photography must remain something that is ultimately fun and drives your passion. Get too bogged down in the technique and you will lose your own voice.

Post #7, Jan 30, 2010 13:10:39

Failure is always an option.

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
Joined Jul 2007
44,987 posts
Nanaimo,B.C.
[MORE/SHARE]

Well spoken.^

Post #8, Jan 30, 2010 13:16:09 as a reply to disjecta's post 5 minutes earlier.

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

seaside
Slapped with a ridiculous title
Joined Apr 2008
5,472 posts
North Carolina Coast
[MORE/SHARE]

joedlh wrote in post #9504688external link

Can be subjective. As a rule yes. However, like disjecta stated "When you do break the rules, you will be doing so deliberately and with a specific purpose". Now I don't know if you had a "specific purpose" when shooting this but in #2 she appears to be in motion and moving away from the the back of the truck...I saw the truck as part of the subject and her moving beyond what we could see in the frame. I personally like the composition. It is true - the focus could be improved.

Post #9, Jan 30, 2010 13:42:46

Chris
Creative Tools / ZENFOLIOexternal link
Someone stole all of my photography equipment and replaced it with exact duplicates.

joedlh
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
4,596 posts
Long Island, NY, North America, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.
[MORE/SHARE]

Flo wrote in post #9504947external link
Well spoken.^

^ ditto

Post #10, Jan 30, 2010 14:10:21

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

jonahrei
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2009
284 posts
Oakland, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

disjecta wrote in post #9504915external link
For portraiture such as the first shot, I rarely open the lens any more than f2.8. Usually I will only open up a fast lens to the max aperture if I am trying to separate a person or thing from what's behind and in front of it and usually when the subject is at least ten feet away. This is not a hard and fast rule, just one I keep in mind for myself. Many portrait photographers find that between f4 and f5.6 is about right for a medium or medium close portrait.

Now all of that is assuming you are just wanting to shoot a standard portrait. There are many reasons when you might want to veer away from that standard. I sometimes do that myself when I only want the eyes to be in focus and the rest of the face to be blurred. It creates a very intimate and, some might say, claustrophobic feeling. Problems arise when your subject's eyes are not exactly parallel with the lens and one eye is in focus and the other slightly soft...mostly this is distracting and not a desired effect.

Like I always say, learn the rules and, when they become second nature, transfer your thinking from your head to your heart. When you do break the rules, you will be doing so deliberately and with a specific purpose. Stick to your vision and let that be your guide but always listen to what your peers have to say. Sometimes what they advise you for one shot may be knowledge you can use in a future shoot so always remain open to criticism.

Most of all, don't get too caught up in the technical details. You have a lifetime to learn all that stuff but photography must remain something that is ultimately fun and drives your passion. Get too bogged down in the technique and you will lose your own voice.

thank you for the c&c. :D

Post #11, Jan 30, 2010 18:40:33

sponsored links
oRGie
Joined Nov 2009
398 posts
Portugal
[MORE/SHARE]

Some very good c&c allready, first one could be tweaked with a layer to sharpen the eyes a touch (mask around them just to sharpen the eyes and highlights in them) and yes would be a better crop looking into the centre of the frame, but the second shot is great as it is, I ride a bike too, dont know if the crutches are due to a bike accident, but its an emotional shot to my eye, the harley jacket implies a bike crash and the framing moving away from the truck but still enough frame on the left to give the motion and direction some room to work, nice :)

Post #12, Jan 30, 2010 20:30:59 as a reply to jonahrei's post 1 hour earlier.

oRGie - I am an EOS and the 7D was my idea :cool:
http://www.fluidr.com/​photos/orgieexternal link
EF70-200F4LIS - EF-S15-85IS - EF50 1.8II

LIST NEARBY THREADS
517 views & 0 likes for this thread
C&C again....
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES