Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd of February 2010 (Tue)   #1
PMan0

Default FTM Focus - When do you use it?

I own and love my Canon 70-200 F4 L but just started realizing that I don't use its FTM focus feature. When does this feature typically come in handy?

Where do you find yourself most often using it?

Am I missing out by not using it?
PMan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of February 2010 (Tue)   #2
tfd888

Default Re: FTM Focus - When do you use it?

It's a very handy thing to have. For people that AF using the * button, they can just MF at anytime without having to flip the MF switch and instantly start AF if need be.
My Website - My Blog - My Flickr
tfd888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of February 2010 (Tue)   #3
crn3371
Cream of the Crop

I really don't think you're missing out on much. With the dim viewfinders and lousy focus screens on most dslr's manual focusing is kind of a pain. The only lens I manually focus with is my macro.
crn3371 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of February 2010 (Tue)   #4
PMan0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfd888 View Post
It's a very handy thing to have. For people that AF using the * button, they can just MF at anytime without having to flip the MF switch and instantly start AF if need be.
Okay, so I do use the * buttom to AF - would I AF first with this button and then 'tweak' using the focus ring? Then lock exposure with half shutter press (recompose if necessary) and shoot?

Paul
PMan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of February 2010 (Tue)   #5
BlueTsunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMan0 View Post
Okay, so I do use the * buttom to AF - would I AF first with this button and then 'tweak' using the focus ring? Then lock exposure with half shutter press (recompose if necessary) and shoot?

Paul
Exposure locking and Auto Focusing can be interchanged (as far as what goes first) but its usually the Manual Focusing that's done after Auto Focusing (one case being Focus and Recomposing, and adjusting the focus for the slight change in focus).

One may want to exposure lock first (like the sky... so half press the shutter first), Auto Focus on the subject (using whatever focus points), if the composition calls for the subject to be outside the AF points thats when you recompose and touch up via Manual Focus.
BlueTsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of February 2010 (Tue)   #6
phreeky
Goldmember

On my lenses without full-time MF I've NEVER missed it. That's not to say that others don't find it useful, but I really do think people overstate its importance.

In fact I also think that of AF speed. Cheap consumer telephoto zooms have very little trouble tracking a jet zipping past in my experience. Ironically I think the slower focusing lenses are the ones that need full-time MF more as you can then easily twist the focus to near-enough and then AF quickly from there.
phreeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of February 2010 (Tue)   #7
bohdank
Cream of the Crop

I only MF with my MF lenses or when shooting macro or near macro. The importance of MF override on USM lenses is highly overstated, imho.

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer
Flickr
bohdank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of February 2010 (Tue)   #8
tfd888

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMan0 View Post

Paul
That or not even AF at all and MF the whole shot without ever touching the * button.

What I'm getting at is that it's very easy to switch back and forth between AF and MF if need be using this method or to correct the focus after AF'ing if need be without having to fumble for the switch in tough lighting conditions or take your eye away from the viewfinder.
My Website - My Blog - My Flickr
tfd888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of February 2010 (Tue)   #9
PMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfd888 View Post
That or not even AF at all and MF the whole shot without ever touching the * button.

What I'm getting at is that it's very easy to switch back and forth between AF and MF if need be using this method or to correct the focus after AF'ing if need be without having to fumble for the switch in tough lighting conditions or take your eye away from the viewfinder.
This makes absolute sense - I've never tried it. Next time I get outside with my camera (a bit cold and snowing right now) I'll certainly test drive the FTM focus.

Paul
Old 2nd of February 2010 (Tue)   #10
KCMO Al

Air shows with my 100-400. I can zoom in to 100 to pick up the plane as it begins it's cross, then zoom out and compose and focus with the push/pull focus ring. Very handy and works very well. Also as stated, macro. I set the magnification I want, then use the focus rail to isolate what I want in focus. (I also use M exposure for both of these situations as well.)
EOS Lenses: Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX - Canon EF 17-40 f4.0L - Canon EF 24-105 f4.0L - Canon EF 35 f1.4L USM - Canon EF100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM - Canon EF100 f2.8 Macro - Other stuff: MR 14EX - 430EX - 580EXII - ST-E2 - TC1.4x - TC-80N3
KCMO Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of February 2010 (Tue)   #11
elader
Goldmember

only when I have an extension tube on my 85 do I MF.

16-35L | 24-105L | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 85 f/1.8 / 50 f.1,4

elader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of February 2010 (Tue)   #12
Sean

I have been using FTM on my 300 F4L IS with spectacular results. I have a feeling my AF Micro Adjustments are off, and just haven't re-brickwalled that combination to my satisfaction. Manual focus has been stellar however. Can't get enough of it.
Old 3rd of February 2010 (Wed)   #13
artyman
Cream of the Crop

It's very useful for tracking or getting initial focus on birds hidden in foliage before hitting the AF button.
artyman is offline   Reply With Quote