FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Thread started 06 Feb 2010 (Saturday) 22:19   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

jsmb
Hatchling
Joined Feb 2010
4 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I was hoping to find someone who was familiar with this camera to help me with a few problems I am having with it. One of the issues I am having is taking pictures at night. Blurry and grainy. Another would be taking regular pictures without having the subjects having to be absolutely still or they are blurry. Any help is much appreciated!!

Post #1, Feb 06, 2010 22:19:59

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Stekman
Joined Jan 2010
24 posts
Grand Rapids, MI
[MORE/SHARE]

The small compact digital probably be the place for this. Regardless....

What mode do you typically shoot in? Have you tried mounting the camera on a tripod? That's what most do for night shots (really, recommended any time the shutter speed is slow, i.e. when taking night shots). The grainy appearance probably is noise - comes with high iso settings. Try opening up the aperture and slowing the shutter speed thus allowing you to lower the iso setting. Noise reduction software is also available for post production. I find it's quite helpful for when I take shots in the dark without the flash.

For the motion shots, you can speed up the shutter speed to "freeze" motion. Switching to TV mode will allow you set the shutter speed. Again, without knowing what shooting mode you typically shoot in, it's hard to say what's going on.

Post #2, Feb 06, 2010 22:59:43

-Mike
Canon SX10IS

jsmb
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Feb 2010
4 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Sorry I wasn't sure where to post this, I am new..any way for me to change it to the appropriate place?

I do not know much about camera which is why I bought this one. I do a lot of my shooting on auto. I have tried both the sports and the night setting but they don't seem to work. I do have a tripod but what if I am shooting candid type stuff at night or in a darkend room? I don't know how to adjust the shutter speed. I do set it to AV when I am doing super macro and that seems to work well for me. I am clueless when it comes to operationg my camera but I have been told I have lots of talent for composition..and I have a photo published already and a few that won contests...guess I am putting the cart before the horse so to speak,

Post #3, Feb 07, 2010 14:41:02

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
Joined Jan 2007
14,421 posts
Detroit, MI
[MORE/SHARE]

jsmb wrote in post #9561019external link
Sorry I wasn't sure where to post this, I am new..any way for me to change it to the appropriate place?

I do not know much about camera which is why I bought this one. I do a lot of my shooting on auto. I have tried both the sports and the night setting but they don't seem to work. I do have a tripod but what if I am shooting candid type stuff at night or in a darkend room? I don't know how to adjust the shutter speed. I do set it to AV when I am doing super macro and that seems to work well for me. I am clueless when it comes to operationg my camera but I have been told I have lots of talent for composition..and I have a photo published already and a few that won contests...guess I am putting the cart before the horse so to speak,

What you need to learn is the easy part of photography - the technical aspects. There are three controls to exposure, aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Visit your library and check out a couple basic books on photography. Study up on these subjects and you will understand the technical aspects of what you are trying to do which is the first step.

Second, I hate to have to break it to you, but P&S digital cameras are (like their predecessors, 35mm film P&S cameras) not well suited to low available light or action photography.

This is because they are typically equipped with slow-ish maximum apertures which do not let a lot of light into the camera. They also tend to have high levels of noise at high ISO settings.

Post #4, Feb 07, 2010 16:12:19

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/external link
Commercial sports:http://girbach.zenfoli​o.com/external link
I use a Canon 5DIII and 1DIV and a Panasonic GF-1

jsmb
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Feb 2010
4 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

That is fine..now that I know there is not much I can do I won't stress. But I will take your advice and get a book on basic photography. I am thinking of getting a rebel xti next. But before that I definately needs to know some basics. If anyone wants to check out my photos to see some of the issues I am having please feel free..I very much appreciate all your help!

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jsmbrown/sets/external link

Post #5, Feb 07, 2010 16:52:26

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Stekman
Joined Jan 2010
24 posts
Grand Rapids, MI
[MORE/SHARE]

Here's a pretty good website that I bookmarked a while ago for when I first picked up shutter bug syndrome:

http://digital-photography-school.com/external link

Under the tips and tutorials, they have a "For Beginners" section, which, while probably not as inclusive as a good photog book, it gives a pretty good idea of the basics of the "exposure triangle" as they call it (shutter speed, aperture, and ISO).

I also picked the SX10 as my camera, and so long as you don't expect it to do stuff it wasn't intended for, it takes some pretty darn good pictures. After reading through the aforementioned website, I rarely shoot on Auto now.

Post #6, Feb 07, 2010 21:27:10

-Mike
Canon SX10IS

Hasitha
Joined Mar 2009
131 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Sx10 is a great P&S camera but without flash you can't except much from it. I have tested so many methods but still get some what grainy in night photos. Use the Flash or if its out site photos then a External flash.

Post #7, Feb 07, 2010 21:27:23

Canon SX10 ISexternal link + Raynox DCR-250external link + Hoya 58mm S-HMC Filter + 58mm HMC Circular Polarizing Filter
My Flickrexternal link

jsmb
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Feb 2010
4 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Great!! Thanks so much. And thanks to whom ever moved my incorrectly placed post :)

Post #8, Feb 07, 2010 22:27:46

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
Joined Sep 2005
66,282 posts
The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!
[MORE/SHARE]

Find yourself a copy of "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson....that is a great introduction to the basics...the next step is to take and share photos....This forum is a tremendous resource. Plenty of great folks willing to answer questions and help you take your work to a whole new level.

Post #9, Feb 07, 2010 23:00:25

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book,external link Refrigerator Artexternal link and What I Really Think Aboutexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,372 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon sx10is powershot- help please!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES