Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th of February 2010 (Sat)   #1
jsmb

Red face Canon sx10is powershot- help please!

I was hoping to find someone who was familiar with this camera to help me with a few problems I am having with it. One of the issues I am having is taking pictures at night. Blurry and grainy. Another would be taking regular pictures without having the subjects having to be absolutely still or they are blurry. Any help is much appreciated!!
jsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of February 2010 (Sat)   #2
Stekman

Default Re: Canon sx10is powershot- help please!

The small compact digital probably be the place for this. Regardless....

What mode do you typically shoot in? Have you tried mounting the camera on a tripod? That's what most do for night shots (really, recommended any time the shutter speed is slow, i.e. when taking night shots). The grainy appearance probably is noise - comes with high iso settings. Try opening up the aperture and slowing the shutter speed thus allowing you to lower the iso setting. Noise reduction software is also available for post production. I find it's quite helpful for when I take shots in the dark without the flash.

For the motion shots, you can speed up the shutter speed to "freeze" motion. Switching to TV mode will allow you set the shutter speed. Again, without knowing what shooting mode you typically shoot in, it's hard to say what's going on.
Old 7th of February 2010 (Sun)   #3
jsmb

Sorry I wasn't sure where to post this, I am new..any way for me to change it to the appropriate place?

I do not know much about camera which is why I bought this one. I do a lot of my shooting on auto. I have tried both the sports and the night setting but they don't seem to work. I do have a tripod but what if I am shooting candid type stuff at night or in a darkend room? I don't know how to adjust the shutter speed. I do set it to AV when I am doing super macro and that seems to work well for me. I am clueless when it comes to operationg my camera but I have been told I have lots of talent for composition..and I have a photo published already and a few that won contests...guess I am putting the cart before the horse so to speak,
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of February 2010 (Sun)   #4
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmb View Post
Sorry I wasn't sure where to post this, I am new..any way for me to change it to the appropriate place?

I do not know much about camera which is why I bought this one. I do a lot of my shooting on auto. I have tried both the sports and the night setting but they don't seem to work. I do have a tripod but what if I am shooting candid type stuff at night or in a darkend room? I don't know how to adjust the shutter speed. I do set it to AV when I am doing super macro and that seems to work well for me. I am clueless when it comes to operationg my camera but I have been told I have lots of talent for composition..and I have a photo published already and a few that won contests...guess I am putting the cart before the horse so to speak,
What you need to learn is the easy part of photography - the technical aspects. There are three controls to exposure, aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Visit your library and check out a couple basic books on photography. Study up on these subjects and you will understand the technical aspects of what you are trying to do which is the first step.

Second, I hate to have to break it to you, but P&S digital cameras are (like their predecessors, 35mm film P&S cameras) not well suited to low available light or action photography.

This is because they are typically equipped with slow-ish maximum apertures which do not let a lot of light into the camera. They also tend to have high levels of noise at high ISO settings.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of February 2010 (Sun)   #5
jsmb

That is fine..now that I know there is not much I can do I won't stress. But I will take your advice and get a book on basic photography. I am thinking of getting a rebel xti next. But before that I definately needs to know some basics. If anyone wants to check out my photos to see some of the issues I am having please feel free..I very much appreciate all your help!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsmbrown/sets/
Old 7th of February 2010 (Sun)   #6
Stekman

Here's a pretty good website that I bookmarked a while ago for when I first picked up shutter bug syndrome:

http://digital-photography-school.com/

Under the tips and tutorials, they have a "For Beginners" section, which, while probably not as inclusive as a good photog book, it gives a pretty good idea of the basics of the "exposure triangle" as they call it (shutter speed, aperture, and ISO).

I also picked the SX10 as my camera, and so long as you don't expect it to do stuff it wasn't intended for, it takes some pretty darn good pictures. After reading through the aforementioned website, I rarely shoot on Auto now.
Stekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of February 2010 (Sun)   #7
Hasitha

Sx10 is a great P&S camera but without flash you can't except much from it. I have tested so many methods but still get some what grainy in night photos. Use the Flash or if its out site photos then a External flash.

My Flickr

Hasitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of February 2010 (Sun)   #8
jsmb

Great!! Thanks so much. And thanks to whom ever moved my incorrectly placed post
Old 7th of February 2010 (Sun)   #9
Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself

Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Find yourself a copy of "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson....that is a great introduction to the basics...the next step is to take and share photos....This forum is a tremendous resource. Plenty of great folks willing to answer questions and help you take your work to a whole new level.
Woolburr is offline   Reply With Quote