Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of June 2010 (Thu)   #1156
trader37

Default HELP!!!!

I just bought the T2i and used a friend's external flash on the camera. Prior to using the external flash, everything worked great. The external flash is currently NOT on the camera but the camera thinks it is still there. I've reset the settings and custom settings from the camera. I've left the battery out for 10 minutes and tried again but nothing, it still thinks the flash is there.

If I put the external flash back on the camera, it works and fires the flash but as soon as I take it off, it won't launch the internal flash. If I go to Flash control and then Built-in flash func. settings it says "This menu cannot be displayed. External flash is attached."

Can anyone help

<edit>
I've answered my own question... after some digging I stumbled upon a flickr page. There's a micro switch under a metal flag on the inside right side of the hot shoe. If it's in or in too much when the external flash isn't present, the camera will think it has an external flash!. I lifted the flag up a tiny bit with a set of tweezers and low and behold, i have a working flash. I've tried the external again and taken it off and I'm still good to go!

Here's the post!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dougpar...57624124811613

</edit>

Last edited by trader37 : 10th of June 2010 (Thu) at 22:43. Reason: Found solution
trader37 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of June 2010 (Fri)   #1157
deadkenny64

Default Re: Official: T2i/550D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben8jam View Post
a DSLR is NOT a video camcorder. it doesn't work the same way, and for those who just want to shoot video of their kids/family/pets/etc and do NOT want to worry about doing any manual controls, don't buy a DSLR for video.. buy a camcorder..
I wholehearted agree. I really didn't understand just how difficult it is to get great looking HD video with the T2i. I saw examples posted online and thought "I could do that". So far my results have been less than stellar.

On the plus side, the new iPhone will have 720P video for the quick kids/family/pet moments.
deadkenny64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of June 2010 (Fri)   #1158
kev1n

Quick question, I get Busy with the flash sometimes when I take pictures, Is this normal? Why does it occur ?
kev1n is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of June 2010 (Fri)   #1159
328iGuy
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev1n View Post
Quick question, I get Busy with the flash sometimes when I take pictures, Is this normal? Why does it occur ?

328iGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of June 2010 (Fri)   #1160
kev1n

Let me clarify, on occasion, I get the "Busy" message in the viewfinder and it has a symbol next to it that looks like the flash. I can't shoot any pictures until that message goes away. What conditions could cause this to happen? I am guessing that the flash requires a re-charge but it seems like it takes a while. Thoughts ?
kev1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of June 2010 (Fri)   #1161
samismurf

Default Re: HELP!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trader37 View Post
I just bought the T2i and used a friend's external flash on the camera. Prior to using the external flash, everything worked great. The external flash is currently NOT on the camera but the camera thinks it is still there. I've reset the settings and custom settings from the camera. I've left the battery out for 10 minutes and tried again but nothing, it still thinks the flash is there.

If I put the external flash back on the camera, it works and fires the flash but as soon as I take it off, it won't launch the internal flash. If I go to Flash control and then Built-in flash func. settings it says "This menu cannot be displayed. External flash is attached."

Can anyone help

<edit>
I've answered my own question... after some digging I stumbled upon a flickr page. There's a micro switch under a metal flag on the inside right side of the hot shoe. If it's in or in too much when the external flash isn't present, the camera will think it has an external flash!. I lifted the flag up a tiny bit with a set of tweezers and low and behold, i have a working flash. I've tried the external again and taken it off and I'm still good to go!

Here's the post!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dougpar...57624124811613

</edit>

ok if you are on manual mode, the flash won't pop up by itself, try the small button on the left side when you are holding it. Or try putting it on the green box setting and go in a dark place where the flash would be needed.. it should pop up... if not, might be a problem with the hot-shoe... go back where you bought it. my 2 cents.
Old 11th of June 2010 (Fri)   #1162
328iGuy
Goldmember

Default Re: HELP!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samismurf View Post
ok if you are on manual mode, the flash won't pop up by itself, try the small button on the left side when you are holding it. Or try putting it on the green box setting and go in a dark place where the flash would be needed.. it should pop up... if not, might be a problem with the hot-shoe... go back where you bought it. my 2 cents.
huh?

He is talking about a hot shoe mounted flash issue and he states he resolved his own issue in the post.....

328iGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of June 2010 (Fri)   #1163
llie19

Quote:
Let me clarify, on occasion, I get the "Busy" message in the viewfinder and it has a symbol next to it that looks like the flash. I can't shoot any pictures until that message goes away. What conditions could cause this to happen? I am guessing that the flash requires a re-charge but it seems like it takes a while. Thoughts ?
I get that too, guess it's taking time to charge the flash for the next shot, should be normal.
llie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of June 2010 (Mon)   #1164
Gregg.Siam
Goldmember

I'm now a proud owner of a 550D!!!

I took some auto mode pics and realized I have a lot to learn.

First question, is there any way to get Canon Camera Window to work with the 550D? Or better yet, any way to change the date to 2553? The reason I ask is because I use a Buddhist date (2553 instead of 2010) and live in Bangkok (95% Buddhist) which uses 2553. When using Camera Window it named folders based on the PC date, not the camera date. The EOS Utility uses the camera date.
Gregg.Siam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of June 2010 (Mon)   #1165
Matt Boyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by llie19 View Post
I get that too, guess it's taking time to charge the flash for the next shot, should be normal.
I've been getting that a lot lately. Several times it gave me the "busy" sign after taking some 30sec exposure shots. I was shooting bonfires on the beach. I wasn't using a flash. Hmmm. When I switched to second exposures it was much smoother.
Old 14th of June 2010 (Mon)   #1166
Heavy Smiles
User is banned from forums

Quote:
Flash recharge.
Heavy Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of June 2010 (Mon)   #1167
plawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Boyer View Post
I've been getting that a lot lately. Several times it gave me the "busy" sign after taking some 30sec exposure shots. I was shooting bonfires on the beach. I wasn't using a flash. Hmmm. When I switched to second exposures it was much smoother.
I'd say long exposure noise reduction might cause of the delay (especially if it takes much longer after a 30-second shot than after a 2-sec), try switching it off under custom functions to see if there's a difference.
plawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of June 2010 (Tue)   #1168
Chalfant_Photography

anyone have ay examples of the T2i with the 17-40L lens?

I am considering this as my next purchase and wanted to see how it performs on the T2i.. ?

any help here thanks
Old 15th of June 2010 (Tue)   #1169
legacymobilestudio

UPDATE:
A few weeks ago (2-3) I mentioned that I ordered a battery grip, + 2 batteries and seller threw in a wired remote. EVERYTHING for $89(or something like that)- Shipped from Hong Kong.

Arrived last week, I played with it a little... then again today, etc. it's GREAT> works good, shutter on bottom/side too so you can veritically shoot- and the best part? With it still attached, it still fits in my "small" camera bag!!!
Old 15th of June 2010 (Tue)   #1170
Matt Boyer

I ordered that same deal on the 4th. It's still not here Hopefully soon. Are the batteries any good?