Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Wildlife Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th of February 2010 (Thu)   #1
tanner07

Default Victoria, BC

Hey everybody!

I am brand new here and very amateur in my photography efforts and knowledge! Here to learn everything that I can. Some real skilled photographers here.

I moved to Victoria, British Columbia on beautiful Vancouver Island 2+ years ago and have taken to Bald Eagle photography very recently. I am wondering if there is anybody who has an idea or two of a good place to get up close with some of these birds near Victoria? Maybe a bit of a noob-ish question...but it is what it is!

I shoot eagles with my ol' Rebel XT and my new purchase, the 70-300mm with IS.

Looking for a helping hand! Thanks, guys.
tanner07 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of March 2010 (Sun)   #2
Hennie L

Default Re: Victoria, BC

Quote:
I am brand new here
Well, I cannot help you with your question, but at least I can say: Welcome to POTN - having made this post some three weeks ago, I would have expected that someone would have had the decency to welcome you to the Forum...

Anyway, here's a "Bump"
Old 7th of March 2010 (Sun)   #3
tanner07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennie L View Post
Well, I cannot help you with your question, but at least I can say: Welcome to POTN - having made this post some three weeks ago, I would have expected that someone would have had the decency to welcome you to the Forum...

Anyway, here's a "Bump"
Hehe -- thank you. And welcome to the forum yourself! I've been learning a lot as well as simply passing a lot of time browsing through the countless awesome pics. Great forum!
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of March 2010 (Mon)   #4
res

Welcome to the forum. I can't do much in helping you find the eagles in your area but I can tell you a bit of what I have been through to find them in my area.

First, I got to know a few folks who work as conservation officers. They were able to point me toward a nesting pair. They also reminded me of the laws concerning getting to close. Second, I talk to a lot of people around the area and ask them if they have seen them. After a while, I can start to find patterns. I also spend time around open water where I know they may want to fish. If the water is frozen over, watch for carcasses of animals. Eagles around here tend to find them. We have a couple of people I found with larger farm fields and they will pick up road killed deer and put them out in their field away from the road. Spending time outside will pay off. Research will help you spend that time in the most likely places. Have fun!!!!!!!!
res is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of March 2010 (Mon)   #5
halitime

There are lots of eagles on the island but at this time of year you will pretty well need to find a nest area.Try around Duncan near the water or Mill Bay.In the fall they concentrate near rivers with Salmon
runs.Sooke would also be a good place to try.I live in Bamfield and they are all over the place.
Old 9th of March 2010 (Tue)   #6
BradM

The OP had posted this query in couple forums, this was my response to those that are also interested:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=825805

While a fair bit north of Victoria, for a nesting pair that one can shoot down into the nest look to Denman Island.

Find the provincial park on the north end of the island, end of the road beyond the western ferry terminal, take the trail to the lighthouse view and look along the cliff edge to the right for the nest.

It is best shot with at least 500mm or more. There are more nests that I know of (including other species) all over the island from Port Hardy down.

Great place to shoot, just all over the place. If I was up there this time of year I would expect to see bears along the highway out to Tofino eating early tubers in the wetlands. I have found them there every mid-March I have been there.

www.bradmanchas.zenfolio.com
The gear list
BradM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of March 2010 (Wed)   #7
tanner07

Brad, thanks again. Another promising tip to pursure. I can't wait to check that one out -- planning on heading to Denman in a couple weeks to check out the herring spawn. Supposedly a great place to be photography-wise at this time of year.

Your help is certainly much appreciated!!
Old 11th of March 2010 (Thu)   #8
BradM

There is a little bay on Denman on the Hornby side (before the ferry terminal) that the herring spawn is quite spectacular at times. Everything is fairly close to the shore.

Dozens and dozens of eagles, sea lions, seals, half a dozen other bird species and an occasional whale all make for a great day.

Good luck!

The gear list
Old 12th of March 2010 (Fri)   #9
tanner07

Brad,

I have just caught wind that the herring spawn near Denman has already begun and for me it is not an option to miss out on this spectacle. I am making plans to head towards Denman early Saturday morning, camp out Saturday night and spend Sunday wandering the island returning Sunday night.

I have written down your directions for locating the eagle nest which I can photograph from the right of the lighthouse view which will be my Sunday morning mission. Saturday afternoon/evening I plan to search out the eagle/seal/sea lion/whale sightings in the "little bay" on the Hornby side.

I would like to express my immense appreciation for you in your efforts and guidance and I can only ask you one more question before I take off on my weekend camping trip, is there any more specifics to take me to this bay to witness the herring spawning? I have PM'd you my personal cell phone number. If you have any more tips for me but happen to miss this post before I leave Saturday morning, PLEASE feel free to contact me via text message or even phone call. I would love to find the little bay you reference so that I can do my best to scout a nearby camping spot.

As I said, I will be leaving early Saturday (5:00-6:00 am), and if no reply is made to this post I will be anticipating a phone call or text message from you, providing any further details you can give me. Again, I would appreciate your favor to no end.

Thank you SO MUCH for the help!!!! I can't wait and I look forward to posting the photos from my trip!

Respectfully,
Tanner Wiberg
Old 12th of March 2010 (Fri)   #10
BradM

Tanner you shouldn't have too much trouble finding the nest or the bay.

The nest will be a bit more difficult to locate as I gave you "slightly" incorrect information. I re-read my directions, the park is on the south end of the island, not the north. Sorry.

When you leave the ferry terminal just follow the main road to the Hornby terminal, it will get you to the park. When you reach the other side of the island you will come to a view of the bay I am speaking of, it is a bit before the Hornby boat, maybe .75 of a mile.

Continuing past the Hornby boat terminal onto the dirt/gravel road will dead-end at the park. From the parking area it is about a mile walk down the trail to the lighthouse view. Pretty level and fairly well maintained trails.

The nest is to the right about 30 yards along the cliff edge, is tight to the trunk the tree. If the lighthouse is south, then the nest will be on the western side of the tree and below you. You will see a few trails and places where people have trampled down areas from viewing the nest.

Good luck!

The gear list
Old 12th of March 2010 (Fri)   #11
tanner07

Very helpful, thank you.

I am beginning to think that the herring spawn may have already ended for the year .

I will have to continue looking into this...
Old 13th of March 2010 (Sat)   #12
maximmax

Default Victoria BC

Ok I may still change time but a bit worried how I will feel after night before as Cyber has driven me to drink...........HA HA HA
I was only looking at test and tune for SPL youer feed back on this??

------------------
CAA Victoria State Representative
Listen with your ears not with your eyes
maximmax is offline   Reply With Quote