Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th of February 2010 (Sun)   #1
Aznattic

Default External flash and 7D sometimes work?

I got a 7D about a week ago, and i have a strange problem with my external Sigma EF-500 DG Super flash and the 7D.

The problem is that sometimes the Sigma works, sometimes it does not. The flash could be charged and ready but it still won't light up. The flash's light meter checks all the time, but yet the flash still doesn't fire sometimes. When it does, most of the time the pictures are greatly over exposed even with the flash set at +-0 and the shutter speed high and the iso low on the camera. The Sigma's flash shoe horn lock is messed up, but the flash always worked on my XTI and currently works great on an XT body with no issues.

Is there something i missed in the 7D manual? I currently don't have another external flash to test whether it is the body that has a problem.

Ideas? Thanks.
Aznattic is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of February 2010 (Sun)   #2
oldvultureface
Goldmember

Default Re: External flash and 7D sometimes work?

Without having a Canon branded flash available, the only thing I can suggest is to clean the contacts on the hot shoe and flash.
oldvultureface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of February 2010 (Sun)   #3
Aznattic

I am trying to borrow one today, i just find it would be extremely odd for it to work fine in an XTI, XT, body but a 7D body it refuses to work on properly? =/

When i go through the 7D's menu and disable flash altogether, the flash doesn't work at all, which is good.

I just tested out some shots both same shutter speed, iso, F stop; only difference was a -+0 and a +3 setting on the flash. Both looked equally overexposed, as if the level of flash power means nothing.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of February 2010 (Sun)   #4
swjim

My money says that the IR signal was getting interrupted in some way. Where were you shooting when you had the problems?
Old 14th of February 2010 (Sun)   #5
Aznattic

Today i took it out to mardis gras at night. External flash wouldn't work at all. Had some time to play with it in the car, worked sometimes or over exposed. Tried it in my house with medium amounts of light, didn't work or over exposed. Tried it with the XT, works perfectly, i could control the flash exposure and actually have it work once again.

I had this problem earlier this week while messing around with the 7D, and i thought the shoehorn lock was just acting up again but it works fine on the XT.

Still trying to get my hands on a Canon flash to fully confirm, i just don't see why the Sigma flash wouldn't work though.
Old 14th of February 2010 (Sun)   #6
eosphotomanoftennessee

From what I can see from the Sigma specs your 500 model is TTL but NOT E-TTL as would be required for automatic metering for new Canons.
300L, 70-200L, 50 1.8, 28-105 EF, Sigma 18-50 EF-S
580Speedlite, AB Ring Flash, Excalibur 320, 2- Morris Optical Slaves
Adobe CS5 Extended, Wacom Graphics Tablet
eosphotomanoftennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of February 2010 (Wed)   #7
Aznattic

The flash does support ETTL II though. Now i am starting to think it is the camera.

Even though the flash isn't Canon, shouldn't i be able to adjust it's settings in the Menu Flash option? It does not let me.
Old 17th of February 2010 (Wed)   #8
agv8or

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznattic View Post
The flash does support ETTL II though. Now i am starting to think it is the camera.

Even though the flash isn't Canon, shouldn't i be able to adjust it's settings in the Menu Flash option? It does not let me.

The cameras flash menu only works with the 580EXII and 430EXII. Even the older 580EX, 430EX and 550EX will not work with the cameras flash menu for adjusting flash settings.

Last edited by agv8or : 17th of February 2010 (Wed) at 09:09.
agv8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of February 2010 (Wed)   #9
msowsun
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
The Sigma's flash shoe horn lock is messed up, but the flash always worked on my XTI and currently works great on an XT body with no issues.
That is probably the problem.

The 40D, 50D, 7D, 5D Mk II, 1D Mk III and Mk IV, all have a slightly different hotshoe to accommodate the 580EX II weather seal rubber boot.

This may be enough to cause contact problems with your "Messed up" Sigma flash.

Last edited by msowsun : 17th of February 2010 (Wed) at 10:04.
msowsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of February 2010 (Wed)   #10
speedline_fc

There's an update for for the Sigma EF 500 DG flash to make it compatible with the 50D and 7D. I can't find the original posts that I read a few months ago, but here's a thread that refers to it

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/....php?p=9529364

I contacted Sigma a couple months ago and asked them about the existence of a fix for the EF 500 DG and the person that wrote back said:

Quote:
Thank you for choosing Sigma products.

The update is only available for the flash designated with the EO ETTL II on the back of it.

You would send the flash to the address below with a note describing why you are sending it in with your contact information.

Sigma Corporation of America

15 Fleetwood Court

Ronkonkoma, NY 11779

ATt: Service Department

Last edited by speedline_fc : 17th of February 2010 (Wed) at 16:11.
speedline_fc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of November 2010 (Thu)   #11
astrocrab

Quote:
I got a 7D about a week ago, and i have a strange problem with my external Sigma EF-500 DG Super flash and the 7D.

The problem is that sometimes the Sigma works, sometimes it does not.
Is there something i missed in the 7D manual? I currently don't have another external flash to test whether it is the body that has a problem.

Ideas? Thanks.
i just have upgrade my 7d with a new 1.2.3 version firmware and this sigma flash +7d issue has gone. i have tryed 70 shoots and there is no missed flash at all. (i have sigma 530 super and 7d)
astrocrab is offline   Reply With Quote