Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 15 Feb 2010 (Monday) 15:21
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Help with photo lingo translation

55 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Macomb, IL
Feb 15, 2010 15:21 |  #1

I just finished reading Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure and there is a phrase that he uses in a lot of his captions under the photos he has in the book. The phrase is (he is describing what he did to take the photo), "I used an aperture of BLANK and preset the focus via the distance setting on the front of the lens" That last part is what I'm having trouble understanding. What is the distance setting? and how/why do you preset the focus? Any help would be appreciated! TIA!

sponsored links
dumb remark memorialized
28,031 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Feb 15, 2010 15:25 |  #2

manual focus lenses have a printed scale on them so that if you wanted to focus on something 10ft away you just dialed in the 10ft setting on the scale. Obsolete on autofocus lenses. No need to worry about it

Fatal attraction.
13,023 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Gesher Haziv, Israel
Feb 15, 2010 15:57 |  #3

Understanding Exposure was written many years ago and some things in it are not applicable to some modern cameras. This is one of them.

Elie / אלי

390 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Northeast Georgia, U.S.
Feb 15, 2010 16:40 |  #4

There are actually still times when presetting your focus can help a lot, but you can still autofocus to do it. I often prefocus to a spot on the ground toward which any moving object (usually my son or daughter) i nearing, then there is (hopefully) time to recompose while keeping my focus locked, then shoot when the subject comes into focus.
Also when shooting at night I use my cell phone to create a lighted "focus assist device" use the autofocus, on the lighted screen of the phone, then switch the lens over to manual focus, remove the phone from my shot and shoot away.
Many ideas that seem antiquated are still quite useful in digital photography.

You will find no more zen at the top of a mountain, than the zen that you bring there with you.

~zen proverb~

840 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlantic Canada
Feb 15, 2010 17:14 |  #5

A number of current lenses still have the distance scales on them but the information they display is rather limited. In general, they show only the focus index (the distance at which the lens is actually focused) and the depth-of-field scale for just one aperture setting (usually f/22). Both still have their uses - albeit the DOF scale more than the focus index - and it's unfortunate the lens manufacturers have, for the most part, deemed them obsolete. However, there are other means of accomplishing the same tasks, as noted by Digital_Zen.

Some gear, some experience, and no talent.
Web: http://www.macdonald-photography.comexternal link | http://ambientlight.ze​nfolio.comexternal link |
http://danmacdonald.50​0px.comexternal link

Cream of the Crop
6,230 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sitting atop the castle, Edinburgh, Scotland
Feb 15, 2010 18:22 |  #6

Presetting focus is still a very useful procedure especially for landscape photographers.

They can use it to maximise the DOF by the use of hyper focal distances. Unfortunately it is something lens manufacturers have decided to omit so we now have to use DOF calculators

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
34,750 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
SF Bay area, CA
Feb 15, 2010 18:50 |  #7

Apart from the issue that the Distance scale has so few distances marked on them, sp as to make DOF scales useless on modern AF lenses, the other reason the DOF scale is useless in the context of digital SLRs with fixed FL lenses is the fact that they apply only to FF cameras, but not to APS-C cameras!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support​hp

1,115 posts
Joined Sep 2006
Kansas City, MO
Feb 15, 2010 20:06 |  #8

AF has changed the way we used to work in many ways. Most AF lenses have very short throws, meaning that they focus faster. Back in the old days, precisions focus lenses often took more than one turn of the barrel to focus. I remember the Alpa 50 macro was like 3 turns from infinity to macro range. Some of the less expensive lenses in the Canon line don't even have a distance scale.

Film: Leica M-4, Elan 7E, Rolleiflex 2.8f, Pentax 645 -- Digital: Canon Pro-1, EOS 5D Mk III
EOS Lenses: Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX - Canon EF 17-40 f4.0L - Canon EF 24-105 f4.0L - Canon EF 35 f1.4L USM - Canon EF100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM - Canon EF100 f2.8 Macro - Other stuff: MR 14EX - 430EX - 580EXII - ST-E2 - TC1.4x - TC-80N3

55 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Macomb, IL
Feb 15, 2010 23:44 |  #9

I understand now, thank you!

sponsored links

606 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help with photo lingo translation
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.