FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 01 Jul 2005 (Friday) 21:33   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

txdude35
Joined Feb 2005
838 posts
El Paso, Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

So this afternoon I'm driving to Target with the kids. A block away from my house is pickup truck completely on fire in the middle of the street. I say sorry, kids- Target's out, I'm grabbing the camera. I race home, race back, and jump out of the car and start snapping away, getting what I'm sure are going to be fantastic shots of the fire and the men putting it out. We're on the way home, I can't wait to see the shots....and then realize that the reason we were going to Target in the first place was to print shots off the memory card in my pocket. The only memory card I own. I was in such a rush to catch the shots, I never checked the LCD to make sure they were coming out all right, and I completely blew a great opportunity. The kids, of course, couldn't stop laughing at me.
To add insult to injury, I dropped my $150 Ray-Bans getting the camera out and cracked a lens in two. Someone, please, let me know I'm not alone.

Post #1, Jul 01, 2005 21:33:56

Life is good. Photograph it.
Reprocess/repost welcomed and encouraged.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
pcasciola
POTN SHOPKEEPER
Joined Sep 2004
3,129 posts
Millstone Township, NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

Yep, I did it a couple of times, and then changed the custom function back to not allow shooting without the CF card.

Post #2, Jul 01, 2005 21:47:07

Philip Casciola
Pro Camera Gearexternal link - POTN Shopexternal link
Canon 7D, EF 50/1.8, EF 85/1.8, EF 300/4L IS, EF-S 18-55, Tamron 28-75/2.8, EF 70-200/2.8L IS
Sigma 1.4x & 2x, Tamron 1.4x, Gitzo 2220 Explorer, 322RC2 grip

exposingmyself
Joined Jan 2005
467 posts
Nueva York: I speak Span-glish.
[MORE/SHARE]

The kids, of course, couldn't stop laughing at me.

isn't that what its all about-the kids? :D

Post #3, Jul 01, 2005 21:47:25

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
Joined Apr 2005
19,130 posts
Northern Illinois, US
[MORE/SHARE]

I leave the CF card door on the camera open when I take the card out. It's hard to miss that way.

Post #4, Jul 01, 2005 21:52:44

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN eventsexternal link
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible external link| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flashexternal link | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculatorexternal link

CyberPet
Hiding Under a Rock
Joined May 2005
4,052 posts
Piteå, Sweden
[MORE/SHARE]

I do what Curtis N does... but now I've got a few memory cards (had to buy another one today) so I try to feed the "monster" a card each time, so it's always ready for when I need it. Another way is to set the camera to not work without the card... a good reminder that it needs more than just a battery to work.

Post #5, Jul 01, 2005 22:37:05

/Petra Hall
Click here to view my geeky gear list
I shoot as much as possible in available light... sometimes, my flash is available – Joe Buissink

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
txdude35
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Feb 2005
838 posts
El Paso, Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

Curtis N wrote:
I leave the CF card door on the camera open when I take the card out. It's hard to miss that way.

Good idea, thanks. I'm about to get another card, but this'll help. I was _so_ pissed.

Post #6, Jul 01, 2005 22:39:51 as a reply to Curtis N's post 47 minutes earlier.

Life is good. Photograph it.
Reprocess/repost welcomed and encouraged.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2003
26,804 posts
ABE, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

txdude35 wrote:
So this afternoon I'm driving to Target with the kids. A block away from my house is pickup truck completely on fire in the middle of the street. I say sorry, kids- Target's out, I'm grabbing the camera. I race home, race back, and jump out of the car and start snapping away, getting what I'm sure are going to be fantastic shots of the fire and the men putting it out. We're on the way home, I can't wait to see the shots....and then realize that the reason we were going to Target in the first place was to print shots off the memory card in my pocket. The only memory card I own. I was in such a rush to catch the shots, I never checked the LCD to make sure they were coming out all right, and I completely blew a great opportunity. The kids, of course, couldn't stop laughing at me.
To add insult to injury, I dropped my $150 Ray-Bans getting the camera out and cracked a lens in two. Someone, please, let me know I'm not alone.

:lol: Ha-ha! That'll teach you! :lol:

Yup, I can just see me doing that, too! That's why I always have a card in my camera. As soon as I take out a card from by camera for processing, another one is in the camera to take it's place. Or, if I'm feeling too lazy and only need to have the card out of the camera for a few minutes, I leave the camera card door open and set the camera beside the card. That way, if I have to grab the camera in a hurry I can quickly put the card back into the camera, just in case my house starts to burn and I need to take some quick pictures of the fire. :mrgreen:

Post #7, Jul 02, 2005 06:45:08

...Leo

LIST NEARBY THREADS
762 views & 0 likes for this thread
Please tell me I'm not the only one....
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES