Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The POTN Lounge
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st of July 2005 (Fri)   #1
txdude35

Default Please tell me I'm not the only one....

So this afternoon I'm driving to Target with the kids. A block away from my house is pickup truck completely on fire in the middle of the street. I say sorry, kids- Target's out, I'm grabbing the camera. I race home, race back, and jump out of the car and start snapping away, getting what I'm sure are going to be fantastic shots of the fire and the men putting it out. We're on the way home, I can't wait to see the shots....and then realize that the reason we were going to Target in the first place was to print shots off the memory card in my pocket. The only memory card I own. I was in such a rush to catch the shots, I never checked the LCD to make sure they were coming out all right, and I completely blew a great opportunity. The kids, of course, couldn't stop laughing at me.
To add insult to injury, I dropped my $150 Ray-Bans getting the camera out and cracked a lens in two. Someone, please, let me know I'm not alone.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of July 2005 (Fri)   #2
pcasciola
POTN SHOPKEEPER

Default Re: Please tell me I'm not the only one....

Yep, I did it a couple of times, and then changed the custom function back to not allow shooting without the CF card.
Sigma 1.4x & 2x, Tamron 1.4x, Gitzo 2220 Explorer, 322RC2 grip
pcasciola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of July 2005 (Fri)   #3
exposingmyself

Quote:
The kids, of course, couldn't stop laughing at me.
isn't that what its all about-the kids?
exposingmyself is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of July 2005 (Fri)   #4
Curtis N
Master Flasher

I leave the CF card door on the camera open when I take the card out. It's hard to miss that way.
Curtis N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of July 2005 (Fri)   #5
CyberPet
Hiding Under a Rock

I do what Curtis N does... but now I've got a few memory cards (had to buy another one today) so I try to feed the "monster" a card each time, so it's always ready for when I need it. Another way is to set the camera to not work without the card... a good reminder that it needs more than just a battery to work.
CyberPet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of July 2005 (Fri)   #6
txdude35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis N
I leave the CF card door on the camera open when I take the card out. It's hard to miss that way.
Good idea, thanks. I'm about to get another card, but this'll help. I was _so_ pissed.
Old 2nd of July 2005 (Sat)   #7
PacAce
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdude35
So this afternoon I'm driving to Target with the kids. A block away from my house is pickup truck completely on fire in the middle of the street. I say sorry, kids- Target's out, I'm grabbing the camera. I race home, race back, and jump out of the car and start snapping away, getting what I'm sure are going to be fantastic shots of the fire and the men putting it out. We're on the way home, I can't wait to see the shots....and then realize that the reason we were going to Target in the first place was to print shots off the memory card in my pocket. The only memory card I own. I was in such a rush to catch the shots, I never checked the LCD to make sure they were coming out all right, and I completely blew a great opportunity. The kids, of course, couldn't stop laughing at me.
To add insult to injury, I dropped my $150 Ray-Bans getting the camera out and cracked a lens in two. Someone, please, let me know I'm not alone.
Ha-ha! That'll teach you!

Yup, I can just see me doing that, too! That's why I always have a card in my camera. As soon as I take out a card from by camera for processing, another one is in the camera to take it's place. Or, if I'm feeling too lazy and only need to have the card out of the camera for a few minutes, I leave the camera card door open and set the camera beside the card. That way, if I have to grab the camera in a hurry I can quickly put the card back into the camera, just in case my house starts to burn and I need to take some quick pictures of the fire.