LIST NEARBY THREADS

ceriltheblade
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
2,318 posts
middle east
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi there.
I have been playing with my new 7d and lens a lot and really am loving it. I tend to do things one at a time to focus on the learning...and hence I got to microadjustment of the focus.

I have tried a couple different methods that I read here and other places on the net. What I find is that my tamron 28-75 at 75mm f2.8 is all over the place. I got such warm recommendations for this lens that I am not sure if the problem is with me (and or my expectations) or with my technique or with the lens.

I used most extensively the number ladder at 45 degrees which showed that at 0 adjustment I can have both focus nailed down, backfocusing and slightly front focusing within 10 pictures taken. Each was done at ISO 100, and in good ambient daylight (pic times were under 1/60th of a second),mounted on a sturdy enough tripod and I did this with the 2 second timer because I have yet to buy a trigger. I almost want an adjustment of +0.5.....except for the variation between pictures

I don't live in the US or in Europe and so I unfortunately don't know how many of the various threads speaking about their experience is relevant to me.

Is this a good reason to have the lens examined in a lab (i.e. is my expectation to have it fixed appropriate)?
If so, would you examine it with or without the camera body?

Thanks for any and all input...and if any of you know a good lab in Tel Aviv, I would be happy to hear about it!!!

Post #1, Feb 21, 2010 06:38:58

7D/5dIII
50 1.8 II, MP-E65, 85 II, 100 IS
10-22, 16-35 IS, 24-105, 70-200 f4IS, tamron 28-75 2.8
600 ex-rt, 055xproB/488rc2/Sirui k40x, kenko extens tubes

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2008
5,111 posts
Cleveland, Ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

ceriltheblade wrote in post #9650825external link
I have tried a couple different methods that I read here and other places on the net. What I find is that my tamron 28-75 at 75mm f2.8 is all over the place. I got such warm recommendations for this lens that I am not sure if the problem is with me (and or my expectations) or with my technique or with the lens.

I have the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 as well. I consider is a great good light lens, but poor indoor/low light lens.

You should have noticed it doesn't have fast silent focusing motor like Sigma's HSM or Canon's USM. If you are trying to use micro AF adjustments, you might try doing it outdoors in good light or in a very well lit indoor room.

I use the 28-75 sparingly indoors if I need to. But most times I'll use my Canon 50 f1.4 and 100 f2 because they let in much more light than the Tamron and have better focusing.

Post #2, Feb 21, 2010 21:23:28

http://RobertHoy.zenfo​lio.comexternal link
www.photographybyhoy.c​omexternal link
http://www.facebook.co​m/Photography.by.Hoyexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
352 views & 0 likes for this thread
first time to a lab?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES