Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th of February 2010 (Fri)   #1
musicmaster
Saw the Light

Default Shutter speed with video?

This confused me today while messing with my 7D - that you select the shutter speed... I'm like wait, the shutter isn't being used!

Can someone explain that to me?

Also, why are the video files so large? a 1 minute 1080p video was almost 350MB. Considering blu-ray discs are 25GB and contain 2+ hours of video, at that rate, only 75 minutes would fit on a blu-ray disc.
musicmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 26th of February 2010 (Fri)   #2
haknslash

Default Re: Shutter speed with video?

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=805807

Basically your sensor is turning off and on.

Yes the RAW file size is huge. However most people edit and the file size will drop. Especially if you transcode to a different format prior to post.

Last edited by haknslash : 26th of February 2010 (Fri) at 23:27.
haknslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of February 2010 (Fri)   #3
gotak

Default Re: Shutter speed with video?

The shutter speed is controlling a electronic shutter. Basically how often the image is read off the sensor. And like stills you can "freeze" motion with faster shutter, sort of anyhow. Try say a fan and take videos of it at different shutter speeds with the 7D. You'll see what I mean. In general, you can keep it from 1/30 to 1/60 and things will be good. If you want to get momentary frozen images in your video then set higher shutters.

As for size. Well you are trying to compress a lot of data in real time. And while there's two digic 4s we don't know for sure they are being used for video. I believe in the 5D2 a separate encoder chip is used for video. Anyhow, it makes sense (from a power consumption point of view) that a lower compression ratio is a good. To achieve higher compression they would need a more powerful encoder which will most likely draw more power.

7D x2,, 50 f1.8, 11-16 f2.8, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 100 2.8L, 430EX, 580EX, Di866, pixel king wireless TTL trigger.
gotak is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member