Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th of February 2010 (Sat)   #1
laydros

Default Easy to swap F to EOS lens adapter

I have slowly been trying out adapted lenses, and really enjoy some of what I have messed with. I have a Helios 44-2, and a few Nikon lenses.

However, I still like shooting manual focus film, and swapped out my Canon A-1 for a Nikon FE so I could share lenses between my film camera and 5D. Problem is that my cheap Nikon lens adapter (which works fine otherwise) isn't very easy to remove. If I was just going to put this adapter on a lens and leave it, it would be fine, but the little tab that gets the locking pin into the Nikon isn't super solid, and is very hard to take out without a small screwdriver.

I was looking at the adapters on ebay, and saw a few that appeared to have a lever that was pressed in to release the adapter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=280464015957

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=360235615659

One with AF-confirm, one without, both seem to have the lever.

Anybody have experience with the lever adapters? Are they pretty easy to take on and off? What about with these brands? Any reccomendations? Is the higher quality photodiox easier to take on and off even though it appears to be the same tab design as my cheap adapter?

Canon 5D, 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 USM, 35 f/2, 50 f/1.8 II, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 430EX
Nikon FE, 35/2, 50/1.8, 105/2.5 and Mamiya C220 Complete Gear List.
laydros is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of February 2010 (Sun)   #2
Overkill-F1

Default Re: Easy to swap F to EOS lens adapter

I recently received one that looks identical to the non- AF-confirm. The adapter is a pain to release. I need three hands, one to operate the lever, one to hold the lens and a third one to rotate the adapter ring to remove it. Like you mentioned, you would be better off buying one adapter for each Nikkor lens and leaving them on the lens. IMHO
...Terry
Overkill-F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of February 2010 (Sun)   #3
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop

Maybe looking at this backwards, but how about a Film EOS camera and then leave the adapters on.

I had the same experience with F adapters. PITA to change.
tkbslc is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of February 2010 (Sun)   #4
hk300

I saw that you have a 5D ... in that case i would just go for the non-chipped version. Most chips are optimised for crop cameras, and in my experience many 5D are slightly off, such that the Focus confirm does not work.
hk300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of February 2010 (Sun)   #5
laydros

Not sounding good....

I could just use a film EOS, and there are some really good ones. I actually own a film Rebel XS, and it isn't a bad camera at all. But cameras even in the 80s just weren't as small but well built as the decent 70's SLRs like the Nikon FE/FM, Canon A-1/FTb, or Oly OM-1. The older ones are just simpler too, and I think manually winding, spinning a shutter speed dial, etc, causes me to slow down more.

I guess the answer to a way to use good manual focus lenses on both a full frame DSLR and an old 70s film camera would be to get a D700. The thought has crossed my mind, but I just can't see spending twice as much as I spent on the 5D for a camera that doesn't offer much more for what I do.

Canon 5D, 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 USM, 35 f/2, 50 f/1.8 II, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 430EX
Old 28th of February 2010 (Sun)   #6
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop

The only other suggestion I can think of is to switch to m42 mount lenses and film bodies. Those are so easy to swap I only had one M42 adapter for 4 lenses. Just a 4-5 spins and its off. I think all the bayonet type lenses are difficult to change as they need a locking mechanism. My C/Y mount adapter is even worse to get off than the F mount ones. THe bad part about m42 is that the bodies are all pretty old, 50-60s instead of 70s era.
tkbslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of February 2010 (Sun)   #7
laydros

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbslc View Post
The only other suggestion I can think of is to switch to m42 mount lenses and film bodies. Those are so easy to swap I only had one M42 adapter for 4 lenses. Just a 4-5 spins and its off. I think all the bayonet type lenses are difficult to change as they need a locking mechanism. My C/Y mount adapter is even worse to get off than the F mount ones. THe bad part about m42 is that the bodies are all pretty old, 50-60s instead of 70s era.
*banging head against wall*

Duh.

Great idea. Unfortunately I got so excited after falling in love with a Nikkor 50/1.8 I didn't slow down to think about the M42 adapter being WAY more usable.

Well, I guess it's an excuse to own another camera system. I do already own a Helios 44-2.