Thread started 04 Jul 2005 (Monday) 06:18   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Krissypooh
Hatchling
Joined Jul 2005
8 posts
Bronx (Riverdale) NY
[MORE/SHARE]

I am looking into getting a portable storage/cd burner. (I dont know exactly what it's called, I just know it exists. New to the Digital realm.) What is good but also not seriously expensive? Are the readers that have a cd burner in them good? I have a digital rebel (300D).
THanks
Kris

Post #1, Jul 04, 2005 06:18:02

Kris
Canon Digital Rebel w/kit lens (since June 2005)
Canon Rebel 2000(Not used much anymore)
Lusting for Macro lenses :wink:

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Orogeny
Joined Aug 2003
697 posts
Houston, Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

I have an older Apacer 100 which burns cds from cf cards. It works great for me, but it doesn't allow disk spanning (the feature that allows you to remove the full cd and put in a new cd when you have more photos than you can store on one cd), so I limit myself to 512 mb cf cards. You can get a newer version that does allow disk spanning for about what I paid for my unit.

The drawback is that you cannot view your photos, so you have to have faith that the cd was successfully burned. So far, not a single problem.

Tim

Post #2, Jul 04, 2005 08:47:55

There's someone in my head, and it's not me! - Roger Waters

www.flickr.com/photos/​orogenyexternal link

FlyingPete
I am immune
Joined Oct 2003
4,123 posts
East Tamaki, Auckland, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

I have just been through an exercise of looking to replace my old PSU (Portable Storage Unit), my old one was an X'S Drive II which I had for three years, and unfortunately it was the victim of a work related accident.

A PSU is basically a hard disk with a battery and a card reader, you insert the card, press a button and it copies the contents to the hard disk. The differing features are card types supported, preview screens, battery life, performance, and other functionality (MP3 players etc).

I had several issues with the X’S Drive, the first was speed, it took 30 minutes to download 1GB, the second was battery life, the third was no verify function and finally there was no progress display.

Since then, there has been a huge number of these devices introduced to the market. The cream of the crop appears to be the Epson P2000, it seems to do everything and has a huge preview screen, it is also out of a lot of peoples (min included) budget.

In the end I short listed to the PD70X, and X’S Drive VP3320. I had some issues trying to get the PD70X, and there was some unknowns about the unit. In the end I opted for the VP3320. It claims to be able to download a 1GB card in 6 minutes, has better battery life, a verify function and displays progress.

I ordered this unit and a spare battery yesterday, I expect to see it in the next week or so…

Post #3, Jul 04, 2005 17:26:24 as a reply to Orogeny's post 8 hours earlier.

Peter Lowden.
Gear List: Kodak Brownie Reflex BR20 with 80mm f/11 lens and some digital stuff. EOS Owner since 1996! (Click here for complete List)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
913 views & 0 likes for this thread
portable storage
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES