Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 28th of February 2010 (Sun)   #1
eicorvette
User is banned from forums

Default With all the respect...

After I asked somebody if they could get the same quality of pics they take with their $5,000 + equipment, with any other camera, someone here answered:

( I'm tired of people talking like the gear makes the photographer. Seriously grow up ) ...

All I have to say back is: YOU GOT THAT WRONG!

I came here to learn, share, talk, etc... and my main concern was that with my new 7D I coulnt get any picture as good as I tought they were going to be for its price. After plenty of crappy pictures, blured, ugly focus, not sharp, I tried to find out more about the lens it comes with which is the 28-135mm and found out that alot of people are in the same situation or are going to be when they test this lens.

I had 5 grand to spend in lenses and accessories and I just got one so far which is the Canon 10-22mm and found out that... wow, now my pictures are not just better, but sharp, in focus, not blured and .... so somebody must have been wrong

Here is an example of the 28-135mm

And here are some pictures I took with the Canon 10-22mm that I got 3 days ago. I have no knowledge of photography except to know when a picture is good and how to set my camera...

So for other newbies out there, when you hear those type of comments, print the page, go to the bathroom and use that page as a toilet paper.. seriously some people must live miserable to not share a bit of help... anyway I hope this helps other new people on photography. Good equipment, specially good lenses, like the 85mm or the 10-22, 70-200 f2 are the way to start dont spend time trying to figure out why your pics are blured, full of noise, not in focus with a crappy lens

Last edited by eicorvette : 28th of February 2010 (Sun) at 22:21.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of February 2010 (Sun)   #2
TheBurningCrown
Goldmember

Default Re: With all the respect...

I really hate to disagree, but I like the photo of your cat far more than any of the 10-22 photos you posted. It's a little soft, but otherwise I like it much better.
Old 28th of February 2010 (Sun)   #3
eicorvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBurningCrown View Post
I really hate to disagree, but I like the photo of your cat far more than any of the 10-22 photos you posted. It's a little soft, but otherwise I like it much better.
Im talking about quality, sharpness, focus... not what about the picture is, of what, etc.. this is a non creative comparison... so, you dont think if I take the same picture of that cat with this new lens will change?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of February 2010 (Sun)   #4
nureality
Goldmember

kid, you got a LOT to learn.
Old 28th of February 2010 (Sun)   #5
pgruiz123

These are really very different pictures. It's hard to get fur to look sharp.
Old 28th of February 2010 (Sun)   #6
CW Jones

I will be respectfully disagreeing. Gear does not make the photographer. I could list off about 5 people on this site that I would give a 10D to and watch out shoot an amateur with a 7D.

If your working with a 7D and something crappy like the 18-55 non is lens, well ya your pictures aren't going to be great, the 28-135 is considered a pretty decent lens, but you really do get what you pay for sometimes.

I would also like to see exif on all the images. That would help as well. Because blurred images doesn't really have anything to do with lens quality. Thats a shutter speed and aperture thing. Sharpness of a lens will vary, the 28-135 is considered a pretty sharp lens, obviously not an "L" lens tho.
Flickr
Razzi
Old 28th of February 2010 (Sun)   #7
05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.

I agree gear makes a difference in certain situations. Such as a 1D would really help with a sports photog get the photos they need. But for static images like this..I dont think gear is going to make much difference at all.
Old 28th of February 2010 (Sun)   #8
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop

Let me just say this. I Dont know the details of your previous attempts to get help here. The tone of your post bothers me because I have found most members here to be very helpful I'm hoping you misunderstood something, maybe not. There are experienced members here who will tell you that gear doesnt make the photographer. And they have a point as we see a lot of well intentioned folks come on here and throw money at the hobby and yet never learn the basics of exposure, composition, and technique that make for better photos. Of course good gear helps. To deny that out of hand is silly, but once again gear isnt enough by itself. I would encourage you learn from the collected wisdom of people here. I worry from the tone of your post here that might not be the case.
Old 28th of February 2010 (Sun)   #9
Tortie

I'd have to respectfully disagree as well. I'm sure a professional with an 'eye for photography' could get an amazing picture out of a 300D and 18-55 non-IS while a pure beginner might not get what they want out of a 5D and 35L. It's all relative.
Old 28th of February 2010 (Sun)   #10
dcstep

The first picture is by far the best of the series, in my opinion.

Do you realize that the first picture has bokeh (blurred background) because of the close focus, focal length and wide aperture? This is a desired effect in a portrait like you've taken.

The car images were taken from a distance with a wide angle lens and don't have bokeh, but they're not better compositions.
Old 28th of February 2010 (Sun)   #11
Green_Tea
POTN Poet

I believe that the lens sample thread for the 28-135 has a numerous great sharp awesome photos... as well as a few presumably taken by less capable photographers
-Trevor
Old 28th of February 2010 (Sun)   #12
FatCat0

Shorter focal lengths are far more forgiving to bad focus/camera shake too, ESPECIALLY stopped down a little.
Old 28th of February 2010 (Sun)   #13
eicorvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
I believe that the lens sample thread for the 28-135 has a numerous great sharp awesome photos... as well as a few presumably taken by less capable photographers
-Trevor
Thats right, I read too that 2 out of 30 pictures are the ones they post, with a good lens there will be around 18 good pics.

Dont get me wrong people, is just a comparison of those factors I named. Sure a good photographer with a crappy equipment could get good or even better pics than somebody new with a good equipment, of course it will not take him 1 shot, but plenty and thats what makes a difference
Old 28th of February 2010 (Sun)   #14
BLACK MAMBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
-Trevor
^+1
Old 28th of February 2010 (Sun)   #15
Cesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCat0 View Post
Shorter focal lengths are far more forgiving to bad focus/camera shake too, ESPECIALLY stopped down a little.
THIS is the reason why the OP isn't enjoying his 28-135 I would assume.

What was the shutter speed used in the cat pic?

That, or missed focus, of course. Either way, the lens can do much better.
Closed Thread