Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st of March 2010 (Mon)   #1
transmission

Default can one do double exposure with the S90 ?

like in the old days of film camera ?? i mean in-camera and not through software post processing...
transmission is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of March 2010 (Mon)   #2
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: can one do double exposure with the S90 ?

No, you cant do that with digital in camera. With film you opened the shutter twice. Recording a partial image on the film each time. With digital, the sensor doesnt hold a recorded image in the way film does but rather writes it to an electronic file. So to achieve the same thing you need to make two images and merge them in post. Which is also much much easier by the way.
gonzogolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of March 2010 (Mon)   #3
Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself

Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

You can do double exposure with any camera that lets you keep the shutter open and block the lens. If the camera doesn't have manual control, I don't know how you could do it effectively.
Woolburr is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of March 2010 (Sun)   #4
teresa486

Yes, if you set the shutter to stay open as long as it will let you. Some cameras have a "bulb" setting which allows you to keep the shutter open until you release it. Try this for fun: Open the shutter as long as it will let you. Be in a COMPLETELY dark room. Once the shutter is open, take a flashlight and turn it on and off in a few places. Then release the shutter. It's pretty cool to do. You can shine the light in your face in different spots and it looks like you are headless and floating around the room! LOL
teresa486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of March 2010 (Mon)   #5
Dick Emery

Do it in post. Open two images in a paint program that supports layers. Set the second photo layer to semi-transparent using the blending tool. You can also blend only one portion of the photos which is a powerful way to make extra effects. There is so much control in post production it's not worth worrying about double exposures in digital.
Canon 450D/XSi (Retired), Canon 70D, Canon 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 STM, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 EF-S IS, Canon 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 EF-S IS, Canon 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6 EF II, Sigma 30mm F1.4, 430EX Mk I, Canon Powershot S2 IS, Canon Powershot S90 IS, Sigma 1.6x closeup lens.
My Flickr
www.maunders.com
Dick Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of March 2010 (Tue)   #6
pearts

the lx3 has a menu option that lets you do that...
pearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of March 2010 (Tue)   #7
Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself

Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearts View Post
the lx3 has a menu option that lets you do that...
That is nice, but what does it have to do with an S90?
Woolburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of March 2010 (Thu)   #8
MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop

There's really no reason to have the camera do this when it's extremely easy in post production (as long as the software has layers). Adobe Photoshop Elements, which can be had for well under 99 bucks (depending on various discounts) can easily blend two exposures in five minutes. And even better is that you determine how dominant (or equal) the each exposure is.