can one do double exposure with the S90 ?

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Thread started 01 Mar 2010 (Monday) 12:22   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

transmission
Mostly Lurking
Joined Jan 2010
13 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

like in the old days of film camera ?? i mean in-camera and not through software post processing...

Post #1, Mar 01, 2010 12:22:59

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2006
26,380 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

No, you cant do that with digital in camera. With film you opened the shutter twice. Recording a partial image on the film each time. With digital, the sensor doesnt hold a recorded image in the way film does but rather writes it to an electronic file. So to achieve the same thing you need to make two images and merge them in post. Which is also much much easier by the way.

Post #2, Mar 01, 2010 12:31:18

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
Joined Sep 2005
66,287 posts
The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!
[MORE/SHARE]

You can do double exposure with any camera that lets you keep the shutter open and block the lens. If the camera doesn't have manual control, I don't know how you could do it effectively.

Post #3, Mar 01, 2010 12:33:17

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book,external link Refrigerator Artexternal link and What I Really Think Aboutexternal link

teresa486
Joined Mar 2010
30 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Yes, if you set the shutter to stay open as long as it will let you. Some cameras have a "bulb" setting which allows you to keep the shutter open until you release it. Try this for fun: Open the shutter as long as it will let you. Be in a COMPLETELY dark room. Once the shutter is open, take a flashlight and turn it on and off in a few places. Then release the shutter. It's pretty cool to do. You can shine the light in your face in different spots and it looks like you are headless and floating around the room! LOL

Post #4, Mar 07, 2010 16:37:30

:) Canon Rebel XTi :) Canon 5D Mark II :) Canon 24-70 F2.8L :) Canon 50mm F1.2L :) 580EX II :) 430EX :)

Dick ­ Emery
Joined Dec 2008
695 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Do it in post. Open two images in a paint program that supports layers. Set the second photo layer to semi-transparent using the blending tool. You can also blend only one portion of the photos which is a powerful way to make extra effects. There is so much control in post production it's not worth worrying about double exposures in digital.

Post #5, Mar 08, 2010 22:29:30

Canon 450D/XSi (Retired), Canon 70D, Canon 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 STM, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 EF-S IS, Canon 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 EF-S IS, Canon 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6 EF II, Sigma 30mm F1.4, 430EX Mk I, Canon Powershot S2 IS, Canon Powershot S90 IS, Sigma 1.6x closeup lens.
My Flickrexternal link
www.maunders.comexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
pearts
Joined Jan 2010
218 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

the lx3 has a menu option that lets you do that...

Post #6, Mar 09, 2010 09:46:34

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
Joined Sep 2005
66,287 posts
The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!
[MORE/SHARE]

pearts wrote in post #9759603external link
the lx3 has a menu option that lets you do that...

That is nice, but what does it have to do with an S90?:lol:

Post #7, Mar 09, 2010 11:39:21

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book,external link Refrigerator Artexternal link and What I Really Think Aboutexternal link

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
6,428 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

There's really no reason to have the camera do this when it's extremely easy in post production (as long as the software has layers). Adobe Photoshop Elements, which can be had for well under 99 bucks (depending on various discounts) can easily blend two exposures in five minutes. And even better is that you determine how dominant (or equal) the each exposure is.

Post #8, Mar 18, 2010 08:03:01

Thank you. bw!

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,101 views & 0 likes for this thread
can one do double exposure with the S90 ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES