Lensalign Pro. Is there a better and lower cost alternative?

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 06 Mar 2010 (Saturday) 08:39   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

mrmarks
Joined Jan 2010
804 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Is there a good or better alternative product to the Lensalign Pro which is lower in cost? Thanks

Post #1, Mar 06, 2010 08:39:46

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
PicSniper
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2007
1,017 posts
Northern Cuba........(a.k.a. Southern Miami)
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't believe there is. By the way, the Lensalign Pro is pricey, but worth it, in my opinion.

Post #2, Mar 06, 2010 08:48:21

Hello, my name is Victor.
My Gear List

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2008
14,060 posts
Montreal, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Yes and it costs nothing.

Put camera on tripod. AF (Quick) using Liveview. Look at image in Liveview and MF to see if you can improve focus. If so, MA and do it all over again. When you think you have it right....

MF in Liveview (Quick AF). Don't use the contrast detect focusing since I have discovered it never hits perfect focus with any of my lenses.

Once MF'd, watch the distance scale on lens and Quck AF. If there is no movement (lens does not refocus), your lens is now perfectly calibrated to your body.

Post #3, Mar 06, 2010 09:18:15

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographerexternal link
Flickrexternal link

lannes
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
4,374 posts
Perth, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

I found this post by Yvon Bourque very useful, especially as the charts he designed are created to give you the correct 45 degree angle when the focus target appears round in the viewfinder. Probably just as accurate as lens align and it's free. Different charts are used for different lens types. Try this first before you invest in lens align, the post is in 2 parts.

Part 1
http://pentaxdslrs.blo​gspot.com ...djustment-for-pentax.htmlexternal link

Part 2
http://pentaxdslrs.blo​gspot.com ...djustment-for-pentax.htmlexternal link

Post #4, Mar 06, 2010 09:35:29 as a reply to bohdank's post 17 minutes earlier.

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,482 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Here is an extremely cheap alternative (go spend the money on some other accessory you really need!...if you threw out any VCR tapes, go splurge & buy some from the Thrift Store) Box fronts are the AF focus target, ruler at 45 is to help assess accuracy of focus.

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/IMG_3138-1.jpg

And in this example, the '9' on the ruler is exactly aligned to the front of the target VCR tape box used for AF, and it is clearly in sharp focus, indicating good AF alignment.
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Focustestfullsize-1.jpg

Post #5, Mar 06, 2010 09:59:47

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

sponsored links
mrmarks
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
804 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

bohdank wrote in post #9740072external link
Yes and it costs nothing.

Put camera on tripod. AF (Quick) using Liveview. Look at image in Liveview and MF to see if you can improve focus. If so, MA and do it all over again. When you think you have it right....

MF in Liveview (Quick AF). Don't use the contrast detect focusing since I have discovered it never hits perfect focus with any of my lenses.

Once MF'd, watch the distance scale on lens and Quck AF. If there is no movement (lens does not refocus), your lens is now perfectly calibrated to your body.

Bohdank, what type of chart or image do you typically use for this purpose? Do you zoom into the image in Liveview? Thanks

Post #6, Mar 06, 2010 10:10:25

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2008
14,060 posts
Montreal, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

I use the back of a Western Digital 1.5TB drive. The printing on the label is extremely fine and clear edged. I stand it up on a table. When perfectly in focus there is no ambiguity.

Yes, Liveview, 10x.

The 45 degree angle is not needed and serves no purpose other than to tell you if you are front/back focusing. I only want to know that what I am focusing on is at it's sharpest. Now, depending what/how you shoot you may prefer certain lenses slightly front/back focus.

I have found that using this method, the results are repeatable...in other words, every time you do the test, the result is exactly the same. There is also no danger that the camera may AF on something other than you intended.

And best of all, no images to review.

Post #7, Mar 06, 2010 11:00:43

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographerexternal link
Flickrexternal link

mrmarks
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
804 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks Bohdank, I like the idea of using liveview as this is faster and more convenient. I will try this using a Moire interference pattern which I downloaded from http://www.northlight-images.co.uk ...s3_af_micoadjustmen​t.htmlexternal link

Post #8, Mar 06, 2010 11:09:02

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2005
7,198 posts
SoCal, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

You might want to take a look at thisthread. Forum member TeamSpeed has developed a low cost alternative that you might want to look at.

Post #9, Mar 06, 2010 11:27:01

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
Joined May 2002
25,991 posts
NW Indiana
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks CRN, here is my free version as well...

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=750736

Post #10, Mar 06, 2010 15:28:49

Past Equipment | My Galleryexternal link
Resources For Sale: High ISO Denoiser Actionexternal link

mrmarks
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
804 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

So here are some examples of my microadjustment settings in my 5D2 made with the liveview method and a moire interference pattern on my laptop:

16-35F2.8L2 (0)
50F1.2L (-5)
24-105F4L (0)

Camera was mounted on a tripod and lens IS was disabled. My lenses were set to max aperture via aperture-priority, low ISO (400) and I manually set the focus on the lens to infinity before allowing the camera to autofocus the reference target. Camera-to-subject distance is 50 times the focal length of the lens. The squareness of the sensor plane to the laptop monitor is checked by the symmetry of the moire pattern. The liveview was set to 10x zoom so that the moire pattern fits the LCD screen. Focusing sharpness was easy to see via the moire interference pattern and there's no ambiguity and repeatable. I just have to adjust the microadjustment and check the moire interference pattern until I get the correct microadjustment.

Thanks for all your inputs especially bohdank.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #11, Mar 07, 2010 01:14:05 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post 9 hours earlier.

sponsored links
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
5,788 posts
New York City
[MORE/SHARE]

PicSniper wrote in post #9739963external link
I don't believe there is. By the way, the Lensalign Pro is pricey, but worth it, in my opinion.

I second this. I've had very reproducible results with it, again and again. If I have any trauma to the lens or body, I can check it with the LensAlign to see if it's been thrown off, and send it to Canon.

Post #12, Mar 07, 2010 11:41:42

Jay
Ireland in Word and Imageexternal link Jay Ben Imagesexternal link5D III | 5D II | 7D | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400L | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 screw clamp | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02 head

LIST NEARBY THREADS
3,264 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lensalign Pro. Is there a better and lower cost alternative?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES