Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th of March 2010 (Thu)   #1
Lysendriel

Default DIY Camera Strap Quick Release

So, after I received the Cotton Carrier system for Christmas, I've come to realize just how much of a pain it is to detach and reattach my camera straps every time I use the CC. Now, being a somewhat poor college student, I didn't want to buy two new straps for my camera, so I went off looking for an alternative solution. In the end, I decided to make my own, using my Canon straps.

All you need are two of Optech's "Adapt Its" ( $3.95 for 4 at B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...dapt_Its_.html ) and 2 stainless steel quick links (or other fastener of your choice), which can be anywhere from $0.50-1.00 individually, or cheaper in bulk at your local hardware store. I bought my in sets of three at Home Depot for about $1.50. All together, it cost me a little less than $10 to create a quick release system for my Canon straps.

First. Attach the adapt-its. They are kind of a pain to put on, you can soak them in hot water to soften them, then use pliers to squeeze them in. Here is a pic of what they look like on my 20d.

Next, attach the quick links (or fastener of your choice) to your existing strap. I attached my strap to the link just like I attach my strap to the camera. Sorry for the slightly oof pics, my nifty fifty is not aware it actually has AF , so I tried manual. Clearly, I need a little practice.

Finally, all you need to do is attach the quick links to the adapt-its.

And presto! Cheap and easy quick release.

My only concern so far has been whether or not the quick links will scratch the body/screen on my 20d, but seeing as it is already a few years old, what's a little more wear and tear? I looked at plastic hooks, especially plastic swivel hooks, but I just couldn't image that they were hardy enough to trust with my camera gear. In reality, I much rather prefer a few surface scratches than watching my camera and glass snap of my neck and shatter on the ground. *shudders*

So, just thought I would share my little project, feel free to question or comment.

- 1d mark ii -
Lysendriel is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of March 2010 (Thu)   #2
booboo

Default Re: DIY Camera Strap Quick Release

isnt there a carabiner that is rubber coated
booboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of March 2010 (Thu)   #3
SkedAddled

Great idea, and those Adapt Its seem cool and are reviewed as being exceptionally strong.
Not sure I'd want to use bare metal links, though.

Of course I'm all right! Why? What have you heard?!?
SkedAddled is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of March 2010 (Fri)   #4
Mocows

I imagine you could use a little bit of rubbery tape to cover most of the bare metal, one or two layers should keep the scratches away.

Great idea! Could also work with pacsafe straps too as they have quick releases as well.
Old 12th of March 2010 (Fri)   #5
Lysendriel

I'm not too concerned about scratches, but I thought a bit of electrical tape would probably work well. I may add some if it bothers me, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

- 1d mark ii -
Lysendriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of March 2010 (Fri)   #6
1stGenRex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysendriel View Post
I'm not too concerned about scratches, but I thought a bit of electrical tape would probably work well. I may add some if it bothers me, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
or you can get some plastidip and after covering the threads, spray a few coats on...
Old 19th of May 2010 (Wed)   #7
7D_Sniper
Goldmember

I'm a huge fan of DIY and this is an awesome project I like it. I was going to recommend the plastidip as well. I hate having to remove my camera strap it's a pain to say the least. I might have to try this one.
My Blog
http://www.hooddesigns.com
7D_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of May 2010 (Wed)   #8
photopat

or just put some heat shrink tubing over it.
Old 19th of May 2010 (Wed)   #9
effstop

I was just trying to figure out a quick release system and this idea looks great.

Would this system also work with a handstrap? I am always going back and forth between hand and neck strap.
Old 19th of February 2011 (Sat)   #10
DigiNon

Has anyone figured out another way of doing this but without the metal pieces? Are there any other secure plastic pieces that can be used?
Old 19th of February 2011 (Sat)   #11
Rum Maximus

Why not use the Op-Tech "mini QD loops" instead? Same concept, quick release but without the issue of metal scratching things up.

http://optechusa.com/system-connecto...-qd-loops.html
M39/M42 : Super-Takumar 28mm /3.5 | Mir-1 37mm /2.8 | Super-Takumar 50mm /1.4 | Industar-50 50mm /3.5 | Petri CC Auto 55mm /1.8 | Jupiter-9 85mm /2 | Carenar 135mm /2.8 | Jupiter-37A 135mm /3.5 | SMC Takumar 200mm /4
Rum Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of February 2011 (Sat)   #12
DigiNon

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew1371 View Post
Why not use the Op-Tech "mini QD loops" instead? Same concept, quick release but without the issue of metal scratching things up.

http://optechusa.com/system-connecto...-qd-loops.html
I've seen some like this but never thought they were very trust worthy. Would these handle the weight of a 5dII gripped with 70-200mm 2.8 is? Not really planning on putting that setup around my neck but I would feel comfortable using a setup that can easily handle such weight.
Old 19th of February 2011 (Sat)   #13
Rum Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiNon View Post
I've seen some like this but never thought they were very trust worthy. Would these handle the weight of a 5dII gripped with 70-200mm 2.8 is? Not really planning on putting that setup around my neck but I would feel comfortable using a setup that can easily handle such weight.
No clue, never used those before so I've no idea what their load-bearing capability is.
M39/M42 : Super-Takumar 28mm /3.5 | Mir-1 37mm /2.8 | Super-Takumar 50mm /1.4 | Industar-50 50mm /3.5 | Petri CC Auto 55mm /1.8 | Jupiter-9 85mm /2 | Carenar 135mm /2.8 | Jupiter-37A 135mm /3.5 | SMC Takumar 200mm /4
Rum Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of February 2011 (Sat)   #14
Woodsmoke

There is a post on here where a guy tested the Adapt Its and was unable to break them and as far as the quick links go, I've used all different sizes for everything from tow chains to dorg chains to hanging planters and bird feeders and have never had one of them fail either.
Personally though I would look for a fastener type that allows a quicker release.

Gear List
Woodsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of February 2011 (Sat)   #15
mguffin
Goldmember

Looks like OP/TECH's Utility Loop would keep the carabiner far enough away from the body to prevent scratching... Also, I think the Mini QD Loops are for small P&S cameras...

http://optechusa.com/system-connecto...lity-loop.html
mguffin is offline   Reply With Quote