Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 15 Mar 2010 (Monday) 08:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

A/C Power for Speedlights

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Mar 15, 2010 08:48 |  #1

Innovatronix is introducing an A/C power supply for speedlights:

Speedfireexternal link

I'm curious what it will cost. I've wanted one of these for a long time.

Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Mar 15, 2010 09:00 |  #2

Interesting,
Probably won't do much to help recycle time. But, if its reasonably priced does offer some benefits when the flash is off camera and more or less stationary.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003
ABE, PA USA
Mar 15, 2010 09:01 |  #3

Quantum has had one for the longest time. I checked it out a while ago but it didn't really seem practical form me since I already had the Turbo 2x2 and the CP-E4 battery packs which also make the flash units very portable unlike the AC power supply. I suppose if you were only going to use the flash indoors in the studio or on location where AC power is available and were going to shoot all day long, then it might be more practical than a battery pack.

...Leo

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Mar 15, 2010 09:29 |  #4

Hopefully the Speedfire will be well below the $423 Adorama wants for the Turbo AC.
There are times the AC option would be nice but not at that price.

Two Pixel or YN packs and NiMH batteries are a lot less expensive while delivering a LOT of flashes.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Huntington Station, NY
Mar 15, 2010 09:36 as a reply to dmward's post |  #5

I'll have the Speedfire for testing shortly. I've spoken to Glen at Innovatronix and this is not just an AC adapter that would normally not give you fast recycle times. The Speedfire will give very fast recycle time. For anyone working with a Speedlight kit in a studio or location where there is electricity or you have your own juice this is going to be a great thing.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
Mar 15, 2010 09:49 |  #6

Rob,
Battery packs improve recycle time to sub 2 seconds. It would be great if the Speedfire will get it below a second. But, as mentioned above, price will still be a factor. The price of a Speedlite is bad enough. :-)

Looking forward to hearing what you discover.

sponsored links

1,011 views & 0 likes for this thread
A/C Power for Speedlights
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.