Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 15 Mar 2010 (Monday) 17:38
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Tripod as light stand?

Scott_online
Joined Aug 2009
Mar 15, 2010 17:38 |  #1

I'm looking to experiment a bit with off-camera flash.

I've no light stand as yet, but I do have an old travel tripod that might do the job. It only extends to 145cm though, whereas the light stands typically go to 190cm+. Do people typically use their stands at full extension, or will the tripod be tall enough for most situations (assuming the subject is standing)?

Thanks

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
ameerat42
588 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Sydney, Au.
Mar 15, 2010 17:42 |  #2

Put it up high on something, with the light(???) Am.:eyes

Scott_online
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2009
Mar 15, 2010 18:21 |  #3

Sorry, I should have said this was mainly for outdoor use.

I was looking to put together a portable lighting kit as described on Strobist. There's a reasonable chance I'd have the tripod with me anyway, so if I could get away with not carrying a separate light stand, then that would be fine - but many of the lighting setup pictures I've seen have the strobe/umbrella slightly above the subject's head.

flickr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,905 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Mar 15, 2010 18:22 |  #4

Scott_online wrote in post #9802623external link
I'm looking to experiment a bit with off-camera flash.

I've no light stand as yet, but I do have an old travel tripod that might do the job. It only extends to 145cm though, whereas the light stands typically go to 190cm+. Do people typically use their stands at full extension, or will the tripod be tall enough for most situations (assuming the subject is standing)?

Thanks

If you get a swivel bracket, and umbrella you can make it work. But its not really going to be tall enough..

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,400 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Kalama, WA USA
Mar 15, 2010 18:38 |  #5

I've done it in a pinch but it really doesn't work well for regular use.
And if the full height is with the center column extended you are asking for even more trouble.

A usable light stand is only about $30. Save some money and buy one.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006
Channelview, Tx
Mar 15, 2010 19:00 |  #6

I would be willing to bet I could make an extension out of a piece of 3/4 in PVC pipe and attach it to the tripod with gaffer tape or what ever you have handy.
Drill a hole in a pvc plug, stick a 1/4x20 bolt through it (shim as necessary from the inside of the plug so only about a 3/8 inch sticks out through the plug) and use some JB Weld epoxy to secure it in the plug. Attach the plug to the end of the pipe with a coupling designed to accept slip on on one end and threaded female for the other. Screw in the plug and you have it.

Paint the pipe flat black for a Pro look! :-)

I made a plug like this for a different application (monopod clamp fo a shoe mount flash.

IMAGE: http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd265/mt_stringer/Flash%20Setup/FlashBracket.jpg

MaxPreps Profileexternal link

My Gear List

rang
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Mar 16, 2010 18:30 |  #7

A long time ago...I looked into doing the same thing. In fact I tried using an older Bogen monopod with the leg kit and mounting the umbrella/flash holder onto the head. The problem and tough compromise is that the idea of strobist shooting...is sort of a minimalist approach. The more stuff you have to drag around...and the heavier it is...you start to find excuses to not bring it.

I finally broke down and bought several of these:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...ano&N=0&InitialSear​ch=yesexternal link

There is a reason many recommend them for strobist style shooting...light,small​, sturdy and relatively tall for their pack down size. And in the big scheme of things...pretty good bang for buck. Coupled with a Westcott double-fold or double joint folding black/white combo umbrella...it's sort of a "quick-draw" solution.

Most of all...small and light ...you WILL bring it along.

Lotsa stuff, running outta room and a wife...I keep looking at her and wondering??? :lol:

sponsored links

1,515 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tripod as light stand?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.