Headshot lighting help please

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk
Thread started 22 Mar 2010 (Monday) 22:47   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

HOCKEYSTOP
Joined Jan 2009
175 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

This is a first for me in my new life of photography. I am going to be doing some headshots this weekend for a friend who needs them for her local acting gig, she also just wants to get more comfortable in front of the camera, more than anything this is going to be fun for both of us and if we get good shots than its a bonus. We are going to go to about 4 or 5 locations all outdoors. One location is going to be under a freeway overpass that has a green tile wall, there will not be any sunlight so it may be a little dark. How would I light this? The other locations will all be out in natural overcast light. I am also going to go to a craft store and get a piece of white foam board to bounce the flash if I need to, how big should this be? A lighting diagram would be great if someone could provide it. Here is what I have to work with.

Canon 40D
Canon 24-105 f4 L
Canon 50 f1.8
Sigma 18-50 f2.8
Canon 580exII speedlight
YN 460 speedlight
OCF triggers
2- 7' Light stands
2- 32" shoot through umberllas
On flash defusers (if needed)

Post #1, Mar 22, 2010 22:47:33

http://12amphotography​.smugmug.com/external link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2004
11,579 posts
USA
[MORE/SHARE]

For acting headshots, you do not want your photography to get in the way. Actor headshots need to be simply lighted, simply posed.

One of the most prolific and successful Hollywood headshot photographers does nothing but this: He puts his clients in the doorway of his garage and uses a white foamcore boardreflector.

Do some Googling for "headshots" and take a look at how simple most of them are.

Post #2, Mar 24, 2010 07:32:08

mykllynyrd
Joined Jan 2010
23 posts
San Diego, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

^^^ he would know better than me.

But if you are set on using the overpass, maybe a reflector would help???
Maybe stay towards the edge so you will still have enough light.

have you looked on http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com/external link for lighting?

Post #3, Mar 24, 2010 09:26:33 as a reply to RDKirk's post 1 hour earlier.

HOCKEYSTOP
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2009
175 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

RDKirk wrote in post #9860327external link
For acting headshots, you do not want your photography to get in the way. Actor headshots need to be simply lighted, simply posed.

One of the most prolific and successful Hollywood headshot photographers does nothing but this: He puts his clients in the doorway of his garage and uses a white foamcore boardreflector.

Do some Googling for "headshots" and take a look at how simple most of them are.

Thanks for the info.

Post #4, Mar 24, 2010 18:14:23

http://12amphotography​.smugmug.com/external link

suecassidy
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
4,019 posts
Huntington Beach California
[MORE/SHARE]

Simple is the truth. I've been in the business and can tell you that when a casting agent is going through a pile of 200 + headshots that are submitted by agents, they are basing their decisions on a split second glance at the headshot. If they like it, they will look longer, and if they are at all interested, they will look at the resume, but there is no time for background or scenery. Simple.

Post #5, Mar 29, 2010 23:24:51

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
925 views & 0 likes for this thread
Headshot lighting help please
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES