Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > People Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd of March 2010 (Mon)   #1
HOCKEYSTOP

Default Headshot lighting help please

This is a first for me in my new life of photography. I am going to be doing some headshots this weekend for a friend who needs them for her local acting gig, she also just wants to get more comfortable in front of the camera, more than anything this is going to be fun for both of us and if we get good shots than its a bonus. We are going to go to about 4 or 5 locations all outdoors. One location is going to be under a freeway overpass that has a green tile wall, there will not be any sunlight so it may be a little dark. How would I light this? The other locations will all be out in natural overcast light. I am also going to go to a craft store and get a piece of white foam board to bounce the flash if I need to, how big should this be? A lighting diagram would be great if someone could provide it. Here is what I have to work with.

Canon 40D
Canon 24-105 f4 L
Canon 50 f1.8
Sigma 18-50 f2.8
Canon 580exII speedlight
YN 460 speedlight
OCF triggers
2- 7' Light stands
2- 32" shoot through umberllas
On flash defusers (if needed)
HOCKEYSTOP is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of March 2010 (Wed)   #2
RDKirk
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Headshot lighting help please

For acting headshots, you do not want your photography to get in the way. Actor headshots need to be simply lighted, simply posed.

One of the most prolific and successful Hollywood headshot photographers does nothing but this: He puts his clients in the doorway of his garage and uses a white foamcore boardreflector.

Do some Googling for "headshots" and take a look at how simple most of them are.
RDKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of March 2010 (Wed)   #3
mykllynyrd

^^^ he would know better than me.

But if you are set on using the overpass, maybe a reflector would help
Maybe stay towards the edge so you will still have enough light.

have you looked on http://strobist.blogspot.com/ for lighting?
mykllynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of March 2010 (Wed)   #4
HOCKEYSTOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKirk View Post
For acting headshots, you do not want your photography to get in the way. Actor headshots need to be simply lighted, simply posed.

One of the most prolific and successful Hollywood headshot photographers does nothing but this: He puts his clients in the doorway of his garage and uses a white foamcore boardreflector.

Do some Googling for "headshots" and take a look at how simple most of them are.

Thanks for the info.
HOCKEYSTOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of March 2010 (Mon)   #5
suecassidy
Goldmember

Simple is the truth. I've been in the business and can tell you that when a casting agent is going through a pile of 200 + headshots that are submitted by agents, they are basing their decisions on a split second glance at the headshot. If they like it, they will look longer, and if they are at all interested, they will look at the resume, but there is no time for background or scenery. Simple.
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3
suecassidy is offline   Reply With Quote