Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th of July 2005 (Mon)   #1
Grimnar

Default [Help me]Shoulder Harness

So, Im about to order the lovepro shoulder harness, but I'm very confused.
What do I need for my small lens setup? What pouches?

• Canon 200mm Mk II
  • Canon 50 mm 1.8 Mk II (?)
  • Canon 18-55 mm
  • EX 580 (later on)
This is the one im looking at.(the required stuff confuses me)
Im going to use the harness for easy access to my lenses during hikes and such.

Photoblog
Can provide hosting for your galleries.
Grimnar is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of July 2005 (Mon)   #2
Grimnar

Default Re: [Help me]Shoulder Harness

[4 hours later]

No one

Photoblog
Old 11th of July 2005 (Mon)   #3
richmilne

Dear Grimnar,
As a happy wearer of a LowePro belt system, perhaps I can help. First, you will need a belt to go with your harness. The harness is made to hold up either a Street and Field Light Belt or Deluxe belt. If you intend to carry much weight, get the Deluxe
http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Belt...Waistbelt.aspx
But from what you actually list, I am not sure why you are looking at a harness at all. What you list could be easily carried on either of the belts without the harness, which is really only to help either belt carry large loads.
There are several other options you might consider, depending on how you hike and what else you carry while hiking. There are many threads on this and other boards about this: we never seem to tire of looking for the perfect bag, and so people write endlessly about this and that bag.
Fred Miranda's site always seems to have discussion about this.
You could try here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/2
The sticky thread at the top of this forum could also work for you:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ad.php?t=68658
If you carry your carry around you neck and ready, the only other things on your list are the 18-55 and a flash, both of which would fit in a small pouch on your belt, or on the hip belt of a backpack, if you carry one.
This pouch by itself would probably work fine:
http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Acce...uch_60_AW.aspx
At any rate, look at some of the alternatives, and maybe you could spell out a little more how you will be hiking, and what else you might carry
Sincerely,
Rich Milne
richmilne is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of July 2005 (Mon)   #4
Grimnar

Thanks a lot for replying!
First of all, I not quite sure my self, why I need the harness. But I think it makes the most sense.
1) I can carry my *big* rucksack (130L) with me, without the belt sagging. (Hoping the harness straps dont come to much in the way)
2) If it gets heavy, I can easily hook of the belt and let the harness do all the work.
3) Harness and belt = more straps to hang stuff to.

But I still dont know what pouches to get for my lenses. The cam will hang around my nech anyways, but it would cool to have a pouch for that as well.

PS: Im considering both 100 mm 2.8 Macro as well as the 10-22mm wide
angle lens. Just not ready to make the plunge yet

Photoblog
Old 12th of July 2005 (Tue)   #5
richmilne

Dear Grimnar,
Not to belabor the point, but do you realize that the LowePro harness doesn't come with a belt? It is _just_ a harness, meant only to hold up either the S&F Light or Deluxe belts. It doesn't do any good on its on. So first, you need to pick a belt to use it with. Then the belt has SlipLoc loops on it, and it is through those loops that you attach a pouch or whatever. Have you looked through the on-line catalog really well? It does not give the best explanation but if you look at all the pictures you can see how it all fits together.
1) The harness straps probably would be in the way if you also wear a backpack. You would have two sets of shoulder straps trying to fit in the same place, not an easy fit.
2) Not sure I understand what you are suggesting here. If you use a big pack like the Bergan you link to, and use its hip belt, then you really wouldn't be able to use the harness at all, because it is only for holding up a S&F hip belt that would be trying to ride in exactly the same place as the hip belt from the pack. It would be like trying to wear two backpacks at once, with two hip belts.
3) Yes, _if_ you aren't also trying to wear a backpack.
Suggestion, with as little equipment as you are talking about, why not carry them in the backpack? There are numerous threads about how people have adapted backpacks on other photography sites, and for the small amount of equipment you are talking about, a few pouches inside the pack might be your best bet.
Or again, did you look at the sticky thread at the top of this forum, about the LowPro Topload pack? It can be adapted to hand from D rings that most backpacks have on their shoulder straps, and it works quite well that way.
Sincerely,
Rich Milne
Old 12th of July 2005 (Tue)   #6
Grimnar

Question Re: [Help me]Shoulder Harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmilne
Dear Grimnar,
Not to belabor the point, but do you realize that the LowePro harness doesn't come with a belt? It is _just_ a harness, meant only to hold up either the S&F Light or Deluxe belts. It doesn't do any good on its on. So first, you need to pick a belt to use it with.
Yeah, this was the thing I was very confused to start with

Quote:
1) The harness straps probably would be in the way if you also wear a backpack. You would have two sets of shoulder straps trying to fit in the same place, not an easy fit.
I kinda suspect that, but that is not a lot of time that would acour.
Quote:
2) Not sure I understand what you are suggesting here. If you use a big pack like the Bergan you link to, and use its hip belt, then you really wouldn't be able to use the harness at all, because it is only for holding up a S&F hip belt that would be trying to ride in exactly the same place as the hip belt from the pack. It would be like trying to wear two backpacks at once, with two hip belts.
Same as above.

Quote:
3) Yes, _if_ you aren't also trying to wear a backpack.
Suggestion, with as little equipment as you are talking about, why not carry them in the backpack? There are numerous threads about how people have adapted backpacks on other photography sites, and for the small amount of equipment you are talking about, a few pouches inside the pack might be your best bet.
There is no way in hell im packing my lenses in a backpack, that would take to much time and effort during a day out. I need them quick. So the final questions is still yet to be answered.

What pouches would go with my tiny equipment.
The belt and harness confusion is no more

Quote:
Sincerely,
Rich Milne
Thank you for your time

Photoblog
Old 12th of July 2005 (Tue)   #7
richmilne

Dear Grimnar,
If you need to carry things in pouches while you have your backpack on, perhaps you could use pouches that would attach to the hipbelt from the pack? Or, if quite small, from the D rings that many shoulder straps have.
Have you checked out the Topload Zoom that is the sticky message at the top of this forum yet?
Any possibility of using cargo pants and putting equipment in pockets?
Once you have a pack on your options deminish rapidly. A vest might be an option? But a little warm in some climates.
Sincerely,
Rich Milne