Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Digital Video
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st of March 2010 (Wed)   #1
noSup4u

Default Remote Control Video Start / Stop on T2i

I have been searching for weeks trying to accomplish this and have come up empty. I know canon specifically released the RC-6 with the T2i. It appears identical to the RC-5. I have tried to the RC-5 and RC-1 and can't get either to remotely start or stop video. They work fine as normal shutter release for stills.

Does anyone know if the RC-6 enables start / stop of video? I am just now starting to see them available.

Does anyone have an alternate solution? I do typically carry a decent netbook (n280 oclocked a bit, 2gb ram upgrade) but would prefer wireless / IR options over wired control due to the specifics of the project in mind.

Thank you!
noSup4u is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 31st of March 2010 (Wed)   #2
promocop

Default Re: Remote Control Video Start / Stop on T2i

Yes, it does, talked to Canon CPS today. Good luck trying to find one
promocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of April 2010 (Fri)   #3
vento

i believe in order for the video to be triggered, the remote has to have a 2s option. i bought a cheap ebay infrared remote and it works fine. just remember to turn it on in the menu.

http://******/bc4A0

mine looks similar to the one in the above link.
Old 6th of April 2010 (Tue)   #4
Mihow

hey vento can u message me once u get it and tell me if it works good, for that price ill pick one up...
WISHLIST: CANON 35MM L | CANON 24MM L | TOKINA 11-16MM 2.8 | WILLING TO TAKE DONATIONS
Mihow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of April 2010 (Fri)   #5
carshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by vento View Post
i believe in order for the video to be triggered, the remote has to have a 2s option. i bought a cheap ebay infrared remote and it works fine. just remember to turn it on in the menu.

http://******/bc4A0

mine looks similar to the one in the above link.
I have the same remote, but cant get the video to work on my 7D
what are your settings?
thanks
Canon 55-250|Sigma 17-35 2.8| 2 Pocket Wizard II
carshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of April 2010 (Fri)   #6
promocop

In still mode, 2 second delay and instant. In live/video mode...cant fiogure it out. One stop/starts video and one setting triggers still frame. Call into CPS
promocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of April 2010 (Fri)   #7
Trey T

www.zacuto.com has the solution.
Old 28th of April 2010 (Wed)   #8
JLim

did anyone get it for their t2i to work?

i know it's really cheap at $3.80...
maybe i'll just get it and hope for it to work...
JLim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of April 2010 (Thu)   #9
KinoC

I just tried the RC1 and it triggered the video recording on the 5DMII. BTW, it has to be in the 2's.
Old 30th of April 2010 (Fri)   #10
peter nap

I have an RC5 and a 7D. Canon said it wouldn't trigger the video (I needed the RC1 or 6)
but it does. Turn it on in the camera (Timer 2 sec) and throw the live view lever. Pressing the remote will start the video.

What it won't do is take stills in live view.
peter nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of April 2010 (Fri)   #11
carshop

Thanks, will try!
Canon 55-250|Sigma 17-35 2.8| 2 Pocket Wizard II
carshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of February 2011 (Mon)   #12
ColdnFrosty

I don't think anyone has mentioned that in order to use the remote with video mode you need to enable remote in the menu settings (while the mode switch is on movie). By default, it is set to disable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noSup4u View Post
I have been searching for weeks trying to accomplish this and have come up empty. I know canon specifically released the RC-6 with the T2i. It appears identical to the RC-5. I have tried to the RC-5 and RC-1 and can't get either to remotely start or stop video. They work fine as normal shutter release for stills.

Does anyone know if the RC-6 enables start / stop of video? I am just now starting to see them available.

Does anyone have an alternate solution? I do typically carry a decent netbook (n280 oclocked a bit, 2gb ram upgrade) but would prefer wireless / IR options over wired control due to the specifics of the project in mind.

Thank you!
ColdnFrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of November 2012 (Tue)   #13
archp2011

I have a generic RC-6 from China that works for stills but I have been trying for an hour to get it to start/stop video on my T2i without success. The only thing it does is to take a still during video. I have read about setting the remote and/or camera to 2 seconds. Does that mean setting the self-timer on the camera to 2 seconds or is there some setting on the genuine RC-6 that has to be set tp 2 seconds. I have looked at various images of the genuine RC-6 but cannot see any switch for setting the seconds. Similarly I cannot find any copy of the included documentation from Canon. Does anyone have a way to start/stop video without touching the camera or a RC-6 clone that works for video? If so how?
archp2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of November 2012 (Tue)   #14
John Sims

Magic Lantern allows you to reconfigure the shutter release button to start stop video which then does the same with a cable release. I thought "What a good idea" but after trying it for a bit realised there are so many other things you want to do before pressing the button it was a bit pointless.
Old 23rd of April 2014 (Wed)   #15
Reut-snapper

Sorry newb here. Please don't flame me if I am teaching grandma etc... But I think the position 2 in the manual refers to the little switch on the underside of the RC-6 remote. Push this to the setting marked 2 and it will work with the video setting on the camera, return it and it will do stills. Mine is a 9.99 RC-6 from ebay and works a 550D well in both modes.
Reut-snapper is offline   Reply With Quote