Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th of April 2010 (Mon)   #1
puffmoike

Default Benro C-269 w B-1, or A-269 w Photo Clam PC-30N?

After reading nearly every Benro Travel Angel thread on this site I think it's going to be the first tripod I'll ever buy. I'd also like it to be the last.

It's not going to get a lot of use, just some very occasional product studio work and some urban nighttime stuff, mostly just for my own enjoyment. I know many members have more than one tripod, but that's just not an option for me, so I need to find a good all-rounder. And because I'm a cyclist, portability is probably more important than that last bit of stability...

But not being much of a tripod user I'm wondering whether for a similar amount of money I'd likely prefer:
1) the carbon version of the 269 with the standard B-1 head, or
2) the aluminum version and a Photo Clam head (most likely the PC-30N which is available quite cheaply in Australia, or perhaps the PC-33NS).Obviously the sums don't quite add up, but if I can sell the B-1 for more than half what it retails for then I'd be getting into the right ballpark.

I've played instore with some Manfrotto ball heads - ranging from the tiny 484 to the meaty 468 - but not with a camera attached (because at my local store the QR plates are strapped to the heads, and I don't feel comfortable asking the store to remove them given I have no intention of purchasing).

They're all much nicer than the cheap three-way heads I've been given, and a friend's Manfrotto 804 on some 190 legs that I've used. So I'm convinced a ballhead is the way to go. But I keep reading how much nicer the RRS, Markins, Kirk, Acra-Swiss (and possibly the cheaper Photo Clams) are, and I'm wondering whether I'd notice and/or care.

So given the weight difference between the aluminum and carbon legs isn't that great, do you think I should spend more on a head and less on the legs?
puffmoike is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of April 2010 (Mon)   #2
jdang307

Default Re: Benro C-269 w B-1, or A-269 w Photo Clam PC-30N?

How much is all that going to cost? I havent heard great things bout the Benro heads. I was going to go with the Benro travel angel but could'nt find it with legs only.

I ended up with the Feisol travel tripod and that head, both from Kerry. From my limited use of it, I'm very impressed, and of course I have no idea what i'm doing so maybe that opinion is worthless but I'm very happy with the purchase!
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of April 2010 (Mon)   #3
plasticmotif
Goldmember

I really, really enjoy my photo clam head. The Feisol legs are pretty amazing as well. Very sturdy, well built, light at a good price.

plasticmotif is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of April 2010 (Mon)   #4
agphotography
Goldmember

I also really enjoy the Photo-Clam ballheads (despite their odd name) I have two of them now. I also wound up purchasing a Feisol carbon tripod vs the Benro because of how many issues of quality I found posted all over the internet.

Go to www.reallybigcameras.com and talk to Kerry, he can definitely get you all set up with any of their products as he's exceptionally knowledgeable!
Tumblr
agphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of April 2010 (Mon)   #5
ianlti

Photoclam's ball head is way better than Benro original's. I got both with me now, never looked back.
ianlti is offline   Reply With Quote