Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 05 Apr 2010 (Monday) 15:08
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

RAW vs. JPG - A good read

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Apr 05, 2010 15:08 |  #1

I saw this today and thought others may be interested in reading it:

Taking a byte out of bit depth – Jpeg vs. RAWexternal link

If nothing else, at least we can start another argument about RAW vs. JPG.

Scott

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

sponsored links
MLphoto
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Apr 05, 2010 15:25 |  #2

I shoot RAW rarely, I almost always shoot JPEG. With advanced editing programs like Photoshop CS4, Lightroom, I can edit basically everything the same as if it was a RAW file...

http://flickr.com/marc​el-lech-photographyexternal link

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Apr 05, 2010 15:28 |  #3

MLphoto wrote in post #9938139external link
I shoot RAW rarely, I almost always shoot JPEG. With advanced editing programs like Photoshop CS4, Lightroom, I can edit basically everything the same as if it was a RAW file...

The article explains why editing is different with RAW, it's not the same.

facebookexternal link

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,921 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Apr 05, 2010 15:30 |  #4

MLphoto wrote in post #9938139external link

It may seem that way to you, but there are significant differences.

tonylong
...winded
54,592 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Apr 05, 2010 16:44 |  #5

Not to engage a debate, but a very interesting post showed up in our RAW Conversion Thread -- check it out!:

http://photography-on-the.net ...?p=9937998&postcoun​t=2058

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

Damo77
Goldmember
4,540 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Apr 05, 2010 19:09 |  #6

I only read to the third paragraph to find something I didn't agree with:

To me, the biggest technical difference between JPEG and RAW is bit depth.

Bit depth is handy, but it's definitely not the most important difference. It's the dynamic range that sets raw apart IMO.

If it were possible to shoot a high-bit jpeg, you would still only have limited dynamic range, and not much advantage. But if it were possible to shoot 8-bit raw, you would have the extended dynamic range, to be able to recover highlights etc. Sure, it would be a bit "noisy" (for want of a better word), but it would be there.

Give me a hatchback car I can drive to the beach, over a BMW that I can only drive to the end of my street, any day. But as it happens, a Raw file is a luxury car that you can drive almost as far as you want!

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

82NoMe
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Battle Born
Apr 05, 2010 20:43 as a reply to Damo77's post |  #7

i can't think of a reason why not to shoot RAW with how cheap storage is now.

Cheers... jim

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006
New Mexico, USA
Apr 05, 2010 20:51 |  #8

scobols wrote in post #9938034external link
If nothing else, at least we can start another argument about RAW vs. JPG.

No argument from me. :D

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"http://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=10864029#post10​864029

scobols
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Apr 05, 2010 21:45 |  #9

82NoMe wrote in post #9940041external link
i can't think of a reason why not to shoot RAW with how cheap storage is now.

I ALWAYS shoot RAW and won't change. But, the one time I can think of that I would prefer JPG is when I'm shooting burst on my 5D and the buffer fills up before I'm done. It would be nice to get a few more shots and not have to wait for the buffer to clear.

facebookexternal link

tim
Light Bringer
50,868 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Apr 05, 2010 23:49 |  #10

I can summarize the arguments...
Jpeg = fast workflow (if you get it right in camera).
RAW = more flexibility.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philly 'burbs
Apr 06, 2010 08:06 as a reply to tim's post |  #11

First off, your camera ONLY shoots RAW. When you select JPG, the camera takes the RAW data and pipes it into its on-board JPG processor to generate the JPG "image" to save to the card.

When you shoot RAW, the RAW "data" goes directly to the card and is not an image.

To generate an image, you use a RAW processor (software on your PC) which turns the data into a viewable image, much like the camera's JPG processor. The difference is that YOU have complete control over the image generation process. You can change the white balance, adjust the contrast/brightness/bl​ack point/etc....

So you can leave these decisions up to the camera's little processor (and hope it makes the right decisions since they are irreversible), or save the decisions for later where YOU have complete control over it.

magwai
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Guildford, UK
Apr 06, 2010 09:11 as a reply to egordon99's post |  #12

i usually shoot raw + jpg. i do that because i trash the raws from the so-so images to save space, so shoot me.

now the interesinng thing is that occasionally the jpg from the camera comes out better than i can produce in my 30 secs of standard pp using ACR. i have no idea why this is - most likely reason is that my pp skills are lacking, but to me it demonstrates that the jpg process on the camera is not completely trivial.

btw, if anyone would care to educate me as to how to match my camera in pp i would be very grateful.

before someone takes this as me saying "jpg is better than raw" i am not. my opinion is that raw is always better given enough pp time. jpg is sometimes better with limited pp time and inferior pp skills.

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philly 'burbs
Apr 06, 2010 09:13 |  #13

magwai wrote in post #9942658external link
i usually shoot raw + jpg. i do that because i trash the raws from the so-so images to save space, so shoot me.

now the interesinng thing is that occasionally the jpg from the camera comes out better than i can produce in my 30 secs of standard pp using ACR. i have no idea why this is - most likely reason is that my pp skills are lacking, but to me it demonstrates that the jpg process on the camera is not completely trivial.

btw, if anyone would care to educate me as to how to match my camera in pp i would be very grateful.

DPP and ACR use different algorithms, so you will not be able to match exactly what the camera would give you (as the on-board JPG processor uses the same/similar engine as DPP) vs. what you can do in ACR (or Lightroom)

magwai
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Guildford, UK
Apr 06, 2010 09:15 |  #14

egordon99 wrote in post #9942666external link
DPP and ACR use different algorithms, so you will not be able to match exactly what the camera would give you (as the on-board JPG processor uses the same/similar engine as DPP) vs. what you can do in ACR (or Lightroom)

what are the main differences? (for dummies)

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philly 'burbs
Apr 06, 2010 09:19 |  #15

magwai wrote in post #9942675external link
what are the main differences? (for dummies)

They're just different....Sorry I can't be more specific but take a raw file and use the default in DPP (the "As Shot" settings) to view it, and compare with what Lightroom gives you.

Lightroom DOES give you finer control over most aspects of the demosaicing process (most settings in DPP are 1-7, whereas ACR/LR is 1-100) but the Canon engineers know their sensors better than Adobe, so a lot of times DPP gives you a "nicer" image.

That said, I'm perfectly happy using LR for my 40D/Xsi images, not so much for my S90 low-light images (DPP works much better, not sure how to get this into my workflow yet :( )

BTW - Your username is from the Gremlins, right? Mogwai was my fraternity "pledge name" in college :lol:

sponsored links

4,531 views & 0 likes for this thread
RAW vs. JPG - A good read
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.