Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing
Thread started 08 Apr 2010 (Thursday) 08:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

?????rolling shutter effect on golf swing????

mayerk
426 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Bright, Indiana
Apr 08, 2010 08:35 |  #1

I decided to make a video of my golf swing for training purposes with my flip camera. As I was going frame by frame I noticed the shaft flex is very strange. This was a concern to me as these are brand new clubs that I was fitted for and pretty expensive. Before I go to Golf Galaxy and raise hell, I just want to make sure that what I'm looking at is not simply a classic case of the rolling shutter effect.
It almost seems like it is but I the only distortion is in the center of the shaft. I would think rolling shutter would cause more distortion in other areas as well....i.e. arms/hands & the club head where the speed is highest.

Anyway, here's an example......

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2705/4439404414_a830dfd9fe.jpg
IMAGE: http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d170/eliangonzalez/Picture4.jpg

sponsored links
snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Wadsworth, Ohio
Apr 08, 2010 09:48 |  #2

I'm no expert on shooting golf swing video or analyzing the results, but something doesn't look quite right with the club in your examples.

Yes, a club should 'flex' and 'kick' through the hitting zone, but certainly not like that! It appears to be some sort of visual distortion going on.

What clubs and shaft with your new irons?

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

bobt0248
42 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Apr 08, 2010 09:56 |  #3

Interesting effect!. I would think that the club should flex in the other direction if this is on the downswing. Something does not look right. Now I am going to have to go hit some balls and video taped myself and roll it back in slow mo.

Bob

mayerk
THREAD ­ STARTER
426 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Bright, Indiana
Apr 08, 2010 09:56 |  #4

They're Mizuno MX300's with stiff flex steel shafs. I know some flexing is normal but it almost seems physically impossible for the flex to be in that direction at that point in the swing. If anything, I would expect it to be flexed the other way.
I posted the video on a golf forum and someone suggested it might be rolling shutter effect. I did a little research and it seems this is most likely the cause but from the examples I've seen I cant say for sure. From what I've seen of the rolling shutter it produces diagonal lines instead of vertical where motion is present. My pictures have a curved effect, but I suppose it's not out of the question for the shaft to flex like that.........

aroundlsu
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Apr 08, 2010 11:34 |  #5

You should try shooting at the "proper" 180 degree shutter speed. At 24p that would be 1/50th.

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

www.TeddySmithSOC.com (external link)

bpaulette
Joined Oct 2009
Kansas City, USA
Apr 08, 2010 12:16 as a reply to aroundlsu's post |  #6

Typical rolling shutter would exhibit the exact opposite distortion - CMOS scanning from top down, making the top of the frame update before the bottom, so the club would look bent in the other direction.

What kind of camera is this? This might make sense if its sensor scans bottom-up or right-left. ? very weird

- BP -
---------------
Sony A7R II | Sonnar FE 55 | Zeiss Batis 85 | FE 90 Macro G | Metabones IV
24L II | 85L II | 135L | 24-105L | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L IS II | 40-Shorty | Bower 14mm | Rokkor 58mm f/1.2

mayerk
THREAD ­ STARTER
426 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Bright, Indiana
Apr 08, 2010 13:27 |  #7

bpaulette wrote in post #9957151external link
Typical rolling shutter would exhibit the exact opposite distortion - CMOS scanning from top down, making the top of the frame update before the bottom, so the club would look bent in the other direction.

What kind of camera is this? This might make sense if its sensor scans bottom-up or right-left. ? very weird

I used a flip video camera. I know its not a DSLR video, or Canon for that matter, but I figured someone here would be able to tell if it's some kind of distortion caused by the camera. Again, I also cannot rule out the shaft flex itself but it seems highly unlikely. Thanks to all that have replied so far.

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Apr 08, 2010 13:38 |  #8

mayerk wrote in post #9957596external link
I used a flip video camera. I know its not a DSLR video, or Canon for that matter, but I figured someone here would be able to tell if it's some kind of distortion caused by the camera. Again, I also cannot rule out the shaft flex itself but it seems highly unlikely. Thanks to all that have replied so far.

Easy answer: Go back to the course, set up your camera on a tripod with a high shutter speed. Wireless remote or self timer. Nothing will put your mind at ease like irrefutable proof that such flex isn't actually there and is actually a product of the camera.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickrexternal link

mayerk
THREAD ­ STARTER
426 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Bright, Indiana
Apr 08, 2010 13:47 |  #9

TheBurningCrown wrote in post #9957664external link
Easy answer: Go back to the course, set up your camera on a tripod with a high shutter speed. Wireless remote or self timer. Nothing will put your mind at ease like irrefutable proof that such flex isn't actually there and is actually a product of the camera.

easier said then done. I may have to hit a thousand balls before I get a similar swing position using a timer. wireless remote would be even harder with both hands on a golf club.

mayerk
THREAD ­ STARTER
426 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Bright, Indiana
Apr 08, 2010 13:52 |  #10

here's a link to the video if it helps at all.....
http://s35.photobucket​.com ...urrent=golf2.flv&ne​west=1external link

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Apr 08, 2010 17:58 |  #11

mayerk wrote in post #9957726external link
easier said then done. I may have to hit a thousand balls before I get a similar swing position using a timer. wireless remote would be even harder with both hands on a golf club.

1.) Use a footswitch.
2.) Borrow a friend!
3.) High FPS mode!

There are more but I shall not continue ;)

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickrexternal link

hqqns
And who ate my celebratory cake?
10,473 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2010
I've seen it. It's rubbish.
Apr 08, 2010 18:09 as a reply to TheBurningCrown's post |  #12

This effect is entirely due to the camera. It must be reading the bottom of the image first and scaning up.

The only way you can fix the way you want the shaft to look is by filming the action with the camera upside down and then post processing flipping the video the right way up again.

Offcourse the shaft will look a LOT more bent that what it actually is in reality.

subby

Wife|Son|Daughter|Comp​uters|Cameras|Lenses|A Home|Pans|Spatula|No Frogs

"42"

LSV
335 posts
Joined Feb 2010
Apr 08, 2010 18:37 |  #13

hqqns wrote in post #9959290external link
This effect is entirely due to the camera. It must be reading the bottom of the image first and scaning up.

The only way you can fix the way you want the shaft to look is by filming the action with the camera upside down and then post processing flipping the video the right way up again.

Offcourse the shaft will look a LOT more bent that what it actually is in reality.

Unless you swing backwards, you are backwards there. Signal wise, it is indeed going from top to bottom, with the swing being fast enough that we have a 30 degree offset. If we knew the framerate and "shutter" speed, you could probably calculate the angular velocity as a function of rolling shutter rate :D

hqqns
And who ate my celebratory cake?
10,473 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2010
I've seen it. It's rubbish.
Apr 08, 2010 18:55 |  #14

LSV wrote in post #9959433external link
Unless you swing backwards, you are backwards there. Signal wise, it is indeed going from top to bottom, with the swing being fast enough that we have a 30 degree offset. If we knew the framerate and "shutter" speed, you could probably calculate the angular velocity as a function of rolling shutter rate :D

Had another look at the images and offcourse you are right. I stand corrected :)

You could do that but it's probably done more easily and accurately if you use two frames and just look at how far the head of the club has moved in a certain amount of frames apart :)

subby

Wife|Son|Daughter|Comp​uters|Cameras|Lenses|A Home|Pans|Spatula|No Frogs

"42"

sponsored links

7,020 views & 0 likes for this thread
?????rolling shutter effect on golf swing????
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.