FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 08 Apr 2010 (Thursday) 10:02   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

pizelli
Joined Nov 2008
287 posts
NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

Without having to send my three L lenses in to Canon for calibration, I'm sure there is a way to check the lens focus sharpness myself. I know that my Canon 5DII has the capability for lens micro adjustment. I don't want to play with it without having "some" assurance I have a technique to properly adjust it.

Can someone suggest a method (s) on how to check and calibrate canon's L lenses?

Post #1, Apr 08, 2010 10:02:53

Canon 5D MArk II, Canon XTI, Canon G10
24-105mm L, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 17-40mm f/4
580EXII, 420EX Flashes

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
paul ­ chiu
Joined Mar 2010
171 posts
new york
[MORE/SHARE]

before doing anything crazy, i suggest you call Canon at the 800 number listed and speak to the technical support folks in Virginia. They are always well staffed and picks up the phone within seconds.

they helped me with similar issues after my purchase of the 70-200 2.8L MK 2 and 14L before my Paris trip.

what i did was simply went with ONE SHOT AF and use various focus points to gauge if the lens and camera was in sync. In my case, was the 5DM2 + 14L and 7D + 70-200 2.8L MK2.

I did this using both handheld and tripod.
The Canon DPP software tells you what focus point you used, so checking after the shot was easy.

It's work, so spend about an hour doing enough steps to satisfy that you need or do not need to micro focus.
In my case, I did not micro focus

paul

pizelli wrote in post #9956319external link
Without having to send my three L lenses in to Canon for calibration, I'm sure there is a way to check the lens focus sharpness myself. I know that my Canon 5DII has the capability for lens micro adjustment. I don't want to play with it without having "some" assurance I have a technique to properly adjust it.

Can someone suggest a method (s) on how to check and calibrate canon's L lenses?

Post #2, Apr 08, 2010 10:12:01

BillyChiu.comexternal link
My YouTube Pageexternal link

davem75
Joined Mar 2009
47 posts
Oxfordshire. UK.
[MORE/SHARE]

A quick cautionary tale...

If you decide you do eventually want to send the stuff off to Canon, you'll not regret it.

However, don't calibrate the lenses... calibrate the camera's AF to those lenses and let Canon do it for you.

I had a 20D with 75-300 when I started off and moved up to the 100-400 as a replacement. The effect was far from wondrous, OK the lens took some getting used to but I eventually sent the 20D, 100-400 and 17-85 all off to Canon (Elstree UK) for calibration, and they adjusted the body's AF to the lenses - the 75-300 hadn't been good enough to show up the slight error in the AF system but remember that all things can have a +/- 5% manufacturer's tolerance which when 2 things are that amount out at opposite ends of the scale, you can get a fair margin of error.

HTH
Dave.

PS FWIW, I've not played with micro adjust.

Post #3, Apr 08, 2010 12:33:38 as a reply to paul chiu's post 2 hours earlier.

John_T
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2003
2,741 posts
Switzerland
[MORE/SHARE]

Here's how I did mine. You don't have to buy the gizmo, but read the tutorials and stuff to get the idea.

http://www.lensalign.c​om/external link

Post #4, Apr 08, 2010 14:43:04

Canon : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : 24-105L IS : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2007
10,420 posts
Sussex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

And here's how I did mine, without some expensive gizmo.

Post #5, Apr 09, 2010 05:50:55

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Websiteexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
3,602 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens Calibration
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES