Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th of April 2010 (Thu)   #1
pizelli

Default Lens Calibration

Without having to send my three L lenses in to Canon for calibration, I'm sure there is a way to check the lens focus sharpness myself. I know that my Canon 5DII has the capability for lens micro adjustment. I don't want to play with it without having "some" assurance I have a technique to properly adjust it.

Can someone suggest a method (s) on how to check and calibrate canon's L lenses?
pizelli is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of April 2010 (Thu)   #2
paul chiu

Default Re: Lens Calibration

before doing anything crazy, i suggest you call Canon at the 800 number listed and speak to the technical support folks in Virginia. They are always well staffed and picks up the phone within seconds.

they helped me with similar issues after my purchase of the 70-200 2.8L MK 2 and 14L before my Paris trip.

what i did was simply went with ONE SHOT AF and use various focus points to gauge if the lens and camera was in sync. In my case, was the 5DM2 + 14L and 7D + 70-200 2.8L MK2.

I did this using both handheld and tripod.
The Canon DPP software tells you what focus point you used, so checking after the shot was easy.

It's work, so spend about an hour doing enough steps to satisfy that you need or do not need to micro focus.
In my case, I did not micro focus

paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizelli View Post
Without having to send my three L lenses in to Canon for calibration, I'm sure there is a way to check the lens focus sharpness myself. I know that my Canon 5DII has the capability for lens micro adjustment. I don't want to play with it without having "some" assurance I have a technique to properly adjust it.

Can someone suggest a method (s) on how to check and calibrate canon's L lenses?

My YouTube Page
paul chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of April 2010 (Thu)   #3
davem75

A quick cautionary tale...

If you decide you do eventually want to send the stuff off to Canon, you'll not regret it.

However, don't calibrate the lenses... calibrate the camera's AF to those lenses and let Canon do it for you.

I had a 20D with 75-300 when I started off and moved up to the 100-400 as a replacement. The effect was far from wondrous, OK the lens took some getting used to but I eventually sent the 20D, 100-400 and 17-85 all off to Canon (Elstree UK) for calibration, and they adjusted the body's AF to the lenses - the 75-300 hadn't been good enough to show up the slight error in the AF system but remember that all things can have a +/- 5% manufacturer's tolerance which when 2 things are that amount out at opposite ends of the scale, you can get a fair margin of error.

HTH
Dave.

PS FWIW, I've not played with micro adjust.
davem75 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of April 2010 (Thu)   #4
John_T
Goldmember

Here's how I did mine. You don't have to buy the gizmo, but read the tutorials and stuff to get the idea.

http://www.lensalign.com/
Canon : 5DIII : 7D : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : 24-105L IS : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...
John_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of April 2010 (Fri)   #5
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop

And here's how I did mine, without some expensive gizmo.
hollis_f is offline   Reply With Quote