Thread started 11 Apr 2010 (Sunday) 16:58   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

enrigonz
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
1,611 posts
Miami, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

I'll like to know if there's a Windows 7 movie editing software equivalent to Mac OS X iMovie.

I use a T2i for movie recording and the video plays fine but not the audio in Windows 7 Movie Maker. Audio from other formats work just fine but not .mov I guess.

I don't need a powerful program just something I can do quick edits and make a video file with a few clicks just like iMovie. Movie Maker seems like a good program for me but the audio doesn't appear to work.

Any ideas?

Post #1, Apr 11, 2010 16:58:10

Canon Stuff :) |Flickrexternal link | Facebookexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Vermin87
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,036 posts
CA
[MORE/SHARE]

enrigonz wrote in post #9975291external link
I'll like to know if there's a Windows 7 movie editing software equivalent to Mac OS X iMovie.

I use a T2i for movie recording and the video plays fine but not the audio in Windows 7 Movie Maker. Audio from other formats work just fine but not .mov I guess.

I don't need a powerful program just something I can do quick edits and make a video file with a few clicks just like iMovie. Movie Maker seems like a good program for me but the audio doesn't appear to work.

Any ideas?

As far as I know, you need to purchase a program like Adobe Premiere or Sony Vegas.

Post #2, Apr 11, 2010 17:12:35

Gear
Flickrexternal link
Websiteexternal link

LSV
Joined Feb 2010
335 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Windows Movie maker. The reason why audio doesn't work is actually Canon/Apple's fault rather than microsoft. Instead of using standard LPCM, Canon chose to use the apple version because .mov doesn't really support many other versions (container itself works just fine with others, but apple software will not support others in .mov). If you have quicktime installed, it should work with windows movie maker. Just make sure to disable EVERYTHING but LPCM from the quicktime MIME selection. If you don't, video will be choppy.

Post #3, Apr 11, 2010 19:15:58

enrigonz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
1,611 posts
Miami, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

LSV wrote in post #9975992external link
Windows Movie maker. The reason why audio doesn't work is actually Canon/Apple's fault rather than microsoft. Instead of using standard LPCM, Canon chose to use the apple version because .mov doesn't really support many other versions (container itself works just fine with others, but apple software will not support others in .mov). If you have quicktime installed, it should work with windows movie maker. Just make sure to disable EVERYTHING but LPCM from the quicktime MIME selection. If you don't, video will be choppy.

I have Quicktime installed and all .mov videos play through there just fine, the problem is just with Movie Maker. I can see what you're saying being the case, it boggles my mind, really!

I'm not sure though what you mean in the last part of your reply about it working with movie maker if quicktime is installed...... please explain?

I new to Windows (in a way) so don't really understand this MIME stuff...... sorry.

Post #4, Apr 11, 2010 19:54:05

davidfig
we over look the simplest things
Joined May 2005
3,169 posts
Fremont, California USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Since you have windows 7. I would recommend Movie Edit Pro. www.magix.comexternal link

Post #5, Apr 11, 2010 20:05:09

5D | 17-40L | Tammy 28-75 2.8 | 28-135 | 50/1.8 | 85/1.8 | Sony A6000 2-Lens Kit | SEL35 1.8

sponsored links
lhughey
Joined Jun 2009
650 posts
DFW, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

Pinnacle Studio v14 is the only program that uses a codec that allows you to be able to edit in realtime with Canon files. Why Canon decided to wrap their movie files with quicktime wrappers beats me. Its one of the crappiest formats for editing (pretty good for viewing though). There are a couple of work arounds that will allow you to edit the Canon movie files with less processor insensity (like changing the extension from .mov to mp4, etc). But i'd recommend Pinnacle Studio 14 unless you are doing very advanced things (but if you are looking for an iMovie replacement, chances are that you arent)

Post #6, Apr 11, 2010 20:34:08

flickr: linkexternal link

enrigonz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
1,611 posts
Miami, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

I still have a Mac sitting next to my Win 7 system, I've been trying very hard to not use the Mac and try to adjust to just using the Windows 7 machine. So far my biggest problem is this, the others I will find a workaround for them but this one got me a little frustrated.

My Mac is 4 years old, so for some things is a little slow, very usable but slow when it comes to rendering big images and working with 1080p video files. I really like the OS X system but due to some financial difficulties I'm forced to seek more affordable alternatives. I also like the new Windows 7, I think is the best Microsoft has produced so far so I'm trying to make it work for me.

Post #7, Apr 11, 2010 21:01:37

enrigonz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
1,611 posts
Miami, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

davidfig wrote in post #9976260external link
Since you have windows 7. I would recommend Movie Edit Pro. www.magix.comexternal link

Which of the 2? One is Movie Edit Pro 16 Plus and the other is just Movie Edit Pro, any benefits of using one over the other? There's a $30-40 difference....

Post #8, Apr 11, 2010 21:04:13

LSV
Joined Feb 2010
335 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

enrigonz wrote in post #9976192external link
I have Quicktime installed and all .mov videos play through there just fine, the problem is just with Movie Maker. I can see what you're saying being the case, it boggles my mind, really!

I'm not sure though what you mean in the last part of your reply about it working with movie maker if quicktime is installed...... please explain?

I new to Windows (in a way) so don't really understand this MIME stuff...... sorry.

MIME stuff isn't just in windows, it's there in a form or other in OSX and linux too. Basically just controlls what program is used to play/open another. Also controls what codecs certain windows programs use to decode files, including windows movie maker.

If you are going to spend money on any program, might as well go with PE or vegas. They will serve as good stepping stones in case you want to learn better editing later

Post #9, Apr 11, 2010 21:11:28

enrigonz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
1,611 posts
Miami, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

LSV wrote in post #9976641external link
MIME stuff isn't just in windows, it's there in a form or other in OSX and linux too. Basically just controlls what program is used to play/open another. Also controls what codecs certain windows programs use to decode files, including windows movie maker.

If you are going to spend money on any program, might as well go with PE or vegas. They will serve as good stepping stones in case you want to learn better editing later

I appreciate your advice however I'm not looking to spend that kind of money, an iMovie replacement would be in the $100 range no more.

Post #10, Apr 11, 2010 21:28:06

Fahad79
Joined Nov 2009
207 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

How about Adobe Premier Elementsexternal link? It's $85 at B&H.

Post #11, Apr 11, 2010 22:23:01

sponsored links
LSV
Joined Feb 2010
335 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

enrigonz wrote in post #9976767external link
I appreciate your advice however I'm not looking to spend that kind of money, an iMovie replacement would be in the $100 range no more.

PE (Premiere Elements) is under $100, as is the low end version of Vegas. Both do much more than iMovie.

Post #12, Apr 11, 2010 22:33:47

enrigonz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
1,611 posts
Miami, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks, I'll look into Premier Elements, for some reason I was thinking of Premier Pro not elements. $85 is not bad if it can perform better than iMovie.

Post #13, Apr 12, 2010 08:01:17 as a reply to LSV's post 9 hours earlier.

lhughey
Joined Jun 2009
650 posts
DFW, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

With Premiere (or Elements) you're still going to have issues with decoding problems (speed). Adobe Premiere a very heavy program (I have a i7-920 and 6Gigs of 1600memory and I still can't edit realtime 1080p files without first re-encoding them in Cineform or using proxy files). Pinnacle 14 is the the only one that can do it without issues or re-ecoding.

Post #14, Apr 12, 2010 13:54:57

flickr: linkexternal link

davidfig
we over look the simplest things
Joined May 2005
3,169 posts
Fremont, California USA
[MORE/SHARE]

enrigonz wrote in post #9976601external link
Which of the 2? One is Movie Edit Pro 16 Plus and the other is just Movie Edit Pro, any benefits of using one over the other? There's a $30-40 difference....

I use the plus, for $30 you get a lot of features.

Post #15, Apr 13, 2010 11:10:06

5D | 17-40L | Tammy 28-75 2.8 | 28-135 | 50/1.8 | 85/1.8 | Sony A6000 2-Lens Kit | SEL35 1.8

LIST NEARBY THREADS
18,277 views & 0 likes for this thread
iMovie equivalent in Windows 7
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES