Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Digital Video
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th of April 2010 (Sun)   #1
enrigonz

Default iMovie equivalent in Windows 7

I'll like to know if there's a Windows 7 movie editing software equivalent to Mac OS X iMovie.

I use a T2i for movie recording and the video plays fine but not the audio in Windows 7 Movie Maker. Audio from other formats work just fine but not .mov I guess.

I don't need a powerful program just something I can do quick edits and make a video file with a few clicks just like iMovie. Movie Maker seems like a good program for me but the audio doesn't appear to work.

Any ideas?
Old 11th of April 2010 (Sun)   #2
Vermin87

Default Re: iMovie equivalent in Windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrigonz View Post
I'll like to know if there's a Windows 7 movie editing software equivalent to Mac OS X iMovie.

I use a T2i for movie recording and the video plays fine but not the audio in Windows 7 Movie Maker. Audio from other formats work just fine but not .mov I guess.

I don't need a powerful program just something I can do quick edits and make a video file with a few clicks just like iMovie. Movie Maker seems like a good program for me but the audio doesn't appear to work.

Any ideas?
As far as I know, you need to purchase a program like Adobe Premiere or Sony Vegas.
Vermin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of April 2010 (Sun)   #3
LSV

Windows Movie maker. The reason why audio doesn't work is actually Canon/Apple's fault rather than microsoft. Instead of using standard LPCM, Canon chose to use the apple version because .mov doesn't really support many other versions (container itself works just fine with others, but apple software will not support others in .mov). If you have quicktime installed, it should work with windows movie maker. Just make sure to disable EVERYTHING but LPCM from the quicktime MIME selection. If you don't, video will be choppy.
LSV is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of April 2010 (Sun)   #4
enrigonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSV View Post
Windows Movie maker. The reason why audio doesn't work is actually Canon/Apple's fault rather than microsoft. Instead of using standard LPCM, Canon chose to use the apple version because .mov doesn't really support many other versions (container itself works just fine with others, but apple software will not support others in .mov). If you have quicktime installed, it should work with windows movie maker. Just make sure to disable EVERYTHING but LPCM from the quicktime MIME selection. If you don't, video will be choppy.
I have Quicktime installed and all .mov videos play through there just fine, the problem is just with Movie Maker. I can see what you're saying being the case, it boggles my mind, really!

I'm not sure though what you mean in the last part of your reply about it working with movie maker if quicktime is installed...... please explain?

I new to Windows (in a way) so don't really understand this MIME stuff...... sorry.
Old 11th of April 2010 (Sun)   #5
davidfig
we over look the simplest things

Since you have windows 7. I would recommend Movie Edit Pro. www.magix.com
Old 11th of April 2010 (Sun)   #6
lhughey

Pinnacle Studio v14 is the only program that uses a codec that allows you to be able to edit in realtime with Canon files. Why Canon decided to wrap their movie files with quicktime wrappers beats me. Its one of the crappiest formats for editing (pretty good for viewing though). There are a couple of work arounds that will allow you to edit the Canon movie files with less processor insensity (like changing the extension from .mov to mp4, etc). But i'd recommend Pinnacle Studio 14 unless you are doing very advanced things (but if you are looking for an iMovie replacement, chances are that you arent)
lhughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of April 2010 (Sun)   #7
enrigonz

I still have a Mac sitting next to my Win 7 system, I've been trying very hard to not use the Mac and try to adjust to just using the Windows 7 machine. So far my biggest problem is this, the others I will find a workaround for them but this one got me a little frustrated.

My Mac is 4 years old, so for some things is a little slow, very usable but slow when it comes to rendering big images and working with 1080p video files. I really like the OS X system but due to some financial difficulties I'm forced to seek more affordable alternatives. I also like the new Windows 7, I think is the best Microsoft has produced so far so I'm trying to make it work for me.
Old 11th of April 2010 (Sun)   #8
enrigonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfig View Post
Since you have windows 7. I would recommend Movie Edit Pro. www.magix.com
Which of the 2? One is Movie Edit Pro 16 Plus and the other is just Movie Edit Pro, any benefits of using one over the other? There's a $30-40 difference....
Old 11th of April 2010 (Sun)   #9
LSV

Quote:
I have Quicktime installed and all .mov videos play through there just fine, the problem is just with Movie Maker. I can see what you're saying being the case, it boggles my mind, really!

I'm not sure though what you mean in the last part of your reply about it working with movie maker if quicktime is installed...... please explain?

I new to Windows (in a way) so don't really understand this MIME stuff...... sorry.
MIME stuff isn't just in windows, it's there in a form or other in OSX and linux too. Basically just controlls what program is used to play/open another. Also controls what codecs certain windows programs use to decode files, including windows movie maker.

If you are going to spend money on any program, might as well go with PE or vegas. They will serve as good stepping stones in case you want to learn better editing later
Old 11th of April 2010 (Sun)   #10
enrigonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSV View Post
MIME stuff isn't just in windows, it's there in a form or other in OSX and linux too. Basically just controlls what program is used to play/open another. Also controls what codecs certain windows programs use to decode files, including windows movie maker.

If you are going to spend money on any program, might as well go with PE or vegas. They will serve as good stepping stones in case you want to learn better editing later
I appreciate your advice however I'm not looking to spend that kind of money, an iMovie replacement would be in the $100 range no more.
Old 11th of April 2010 (Sun)   #11
Fahad79

How about Adobe Premier Elements? It's $85 at B&H.
Fahad79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of April 2010 (Sun)   #12
LSV

Quote:
I appreciate your advice however I'm not looking to spend that kind of money, an iMovie replacement would be in the $100 range no more.
PE (Premiere Elements) is under $100, as is the low end version of Vegas. Both do much more than iMovie.
Old 12th of April 2010 (Mon)   #13
enrigonz

Thanks, I'll look into Premier Elements, for some reason I was thinking of Premier Pro not elements. $85 is not bad if it can perform better than iMovie.
Old 12th of April 2010 (Mon)   #14
lhughey

With Premiere (or Elements) you're still going to have issues with decoding problems (speed). Adobe Premiere a very heavy program (I have a i7-920 and 6Gigs of 1600memory and I still can't edit realtime 1080p files without first re-encoding them in Cineform or using proxy files). Pinnacle 14 is the the only one that can do it without issues or re-ecoding.
lhughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of April 2010 (Tue)   #15
davidfig
we over look the simplest things

Quote:
Which of the 2? One is Movie Edit Pro 16 Plus and the other is just Movie Edit Pro, any benefits of using one over the other? There's a $30-40 difference....
I use the plus, for $30 you get a lot of features.