Thread started 18 Apr 2010 (Sunday) 07:09   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Radwa
Mostly Lurking
Joined Mar 2010
13 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hello,
i am fond of learning photography, so I started with getting the DSLR Canon EOS 500D , and read alot of articles about photography , but my shots still not professional, and I guess I need to take online courses , can any body help telling me where can I found the best online courses for photography

Thanks and appreciate any help

Post #1, Apr 18, 2010 07:09:50

Hi,
My photography blogexternal link
My photography profile at 500pxexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Josepi
Joined Mar 2010
281 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

What seems to be the issues you encounter?

Focus? Exposure? Composure?

Post #2, Apr 18, 2010 08:42:51

Radwa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Mar 2010
13 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thank you Josepi for your replay , i guess The focusing is ok, i just can't deal with Exposure well .

Post #3, Apr 18, 2010 09:54:48 as a reply to Josepi's post 1 hour earlier.

Hi,

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
31,754 posts
Northern VA
[MORE/SHARE]

I recommend the Peterson book "Understanding Exposure" not because it's a fantastic book, but for a beginner, it goes through the parts of good exposure like a tutorial. You learn one setting at a time and it is very helpful. If you really want to learn, find someone to shoot with, a buddy. That's how I learn and it's great to meet POTN friends in person. Where are you located? Here in VA, there are tons of us and we get together periodically.

Post #4, Apr 18, 2010 09:57:36

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5D2 :lol:7D :D SL1 (6/14) & G12, the iPad2, iPhone 5 :), 5 L's & 2 Primes 23 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.
My Gear and Wishes

Radwa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Mar 2010
13 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi SuzyView
Thank you for your replay , actually i am living in Cairo, Egypt . and i don't have any friend around me who is interested in learning photography . That is why i am asking about any useful online courses .what do you think about the online courses ? or do you recommend reading and shooting till my shots gets better ?

Post #5, Apr 18, 2010 10:49:32 as a reply to SuzyView's post 51 minutes earlier.

Hi,

sponsored links
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
31,754 posts
Northern VA
[MORE/SHARE]

If you don't have any direction, you won't get anywhere fast. So, my advice is to order the book from some place like Amazon.com and learn from it. A book you can take along with you. An on-line course, you're stuck next to your camera inside. Also, the best way to start is taking pictures outdoors so light is not a problem.

Post #6, Apr 18, 2010 14:09:05

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5D2 :lol:7D :D SL1 (6/14) & G12, the iPad2, iPhone 5 :), 5 L's & 2 Primes 23 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.
My Gear and Wishes

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2007
6,220 posts
Sitting atop the castle, Edinburgh, Scotland
[MORE/SHARE]

Understanding Exposure helped me a huge amount when I picked up the camera. It is a great way to force you out of the comfort (and considerable limitations) of Auto.

I would agree with Suzie, online is probably not the best way for a very hands on hobby.

Above all, be aware of your shots and be a realistic critic on your own work. Think of why you are taking a shot,what you are shooting (composition) and how best to shoot it (camera settings).

Learning is a long process (you should never stop) so enjoy the process and the "EUREKA" moments that you will have.

Post #7, Apr 18, 2010 16:28:36

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

Radwa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Mar 2010
13 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thank you neilwood32 for your useful advices , i think suzy is right . if i did not have any direction i won't get anywhere fast. may be it is the best way to start with ordering the book and take some shots outside , and i will upload my shots for you guys to see and comment about it .
Thank you guys for your great help .

Post #8, Apr 18, 2010 16:57:53 as a reply to neilwood32's post 29 minutes earlier.

Hi,

DreDaze
bit by the Supposed Title Fairy
Joined Mar 2006
15,034 posts
S.F. Bay Area
[MORE/SHARE]

yeah that book is really great...get it, and take the book, your manual, and your camera out, and practice/experiment...​but also posting pictures here, and asking questions can really help you improve as well

Post #9, Apr 18, 2010 17:05:10

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickrexternal link

Radwa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Mar 2010
13 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thank you DreDaze , sure i will post my pictures and see the comments , as i am sure it will help me to improve

Post #10, Apr 18, 2010 17:18:37

Hi,

dche5390
Joined Nov 2009
706 posts
Sydney, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm going against the grain and report that I didn't get much from Peterson's book. Admittedly I don't learn anything from books. I learn from hands-on experience.

Photography is subjective. It is a journey. It is very rare that you get to a level that you're happy with immediately.

Shoot more. Post them up for critique. Be open to comments but also develop your own sense of photography. Don't give up.

I fell into a rut for a period of a few months and didn't touch my gear. I suppose I was feeling abit lazy when it came to processing all the photos in LR. Only when asked to shoot a particular event for work did I regain my interest and pick up my camera.

Post #11, Apr 18, 2010 18:28:28

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
Joined Feb 2004
69,099 posts
S. E. Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

Radwa wrote in post #10017309external link
Thank you Josepi for your replay , i guess The focusing is ok, i just can't deal with Exposure well .

I shoot a lot of cars that have chrome that will throw off the meter, so I use this to be sure that the bright areas "at the right" are the bright areas I want to keep, & I can measure Incident light in much the same way as hand held meter does it:
Need an exposure crutch?

Try using manual. For a good starting point, first set the f-stop OR shutter speed you need for the effect you want. Then the other parameter: shutter speed or f-stop. Then adjust the ISO.

Why?
Post #47

Post #12, Apr 21, 2010 10:35:18

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
10,247 posts
Philly 'burbs
[MORE/SHARE]

Radwa wrote in post #10016786external link
Hello,
read alot of articles about photography , but my shots still not professional

I think it takes a lot more than reading some articles to get "professional" shots. I think actually shooting for years and years might be a better path to go down ;)

Post #13, Apr 21, 2010 10:49:04

bdeitemeyer
Joined Jan 2010
49 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I agree with egordon99, reading will only take you so far. You need to gain hands-on experience and over time you'll progress.

Post #14, Apr 23, 2010 19:11:05

LIST NEARBY THREADS
809 views & 0 likes for this thread
Learning photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES