Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th of April 2010 (Sun)   #1
Radwa

Default Learning photography

Hello,
i am fond of learning photography, so I started with getting the DSLR Canon EOS 500D , and read alot of articles about photography , but my shots still not professional, and I guess I need to take online courses , can any body help telling me where can I found the best online courses for photography

Thanks and appreciate any help
Radwa is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of April 2010 (Sun)   #2
Josepi

Default Re: Learning photography

What seems to be the issues you encounter?

Focus? Exposure? Composure?
Josepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of April 2010 (Sun)   #3
Radwa

Thank you Josepi for your replay , i guess The focusing is ok, i just can't deal with Exposure well .
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of April 2010 (Sun)   #4
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop

I recommend the Peterson book "Understanding Exposure" not because it's a fantastic book, but for a beginner, it goes through the parts of good exposure like a tutorial. You learn one setting at a time and it is very helpful. If you really want to learn, find someone to shoot with, a buddy. That's how I learn and it's great to meet POTN friends in person. Where are you located? Here in VA, there are tons of us and we get together periodically.
My Gear and Wishes

SuzyView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of April 2010 (Sun)   #5
Radwa

Hi SuzyView
Thank you for your replay , actually i am living in Cairo, Egypt . and i don't have any friend around me who is interested in learning photography . That is why i am asking about any useful online courses .what do you think about the online courses ? or do you recommend reading and shooting till my shots gets better ?
Old 18th of April 2010 (Sun)   #6
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop

If you don't have any direction, you won't get anywhere fast. So, my advice is to order the book from some place like Amazon.com and learn from it. A book you can take along with you. An on-line course, you're stuck next to your camera inside. Also, the best way to start is taking pictures outdoors so light is not a problem.
My Gear and Wishes

SuzyView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of April 2010 (Sun)   #7
neilwood32
Cream of the Crop

Understanding Exposure helped me a huge amount when I picked up the camera. It is a great way to force you out of the comfort (and considerable limitations) of Auto.

I would agree with Suzie, online is probably not the best way for a very hands on hobby.

Above all, be aware of your shots and be a realistic critic on your own work. Think of why you are taking a shot,what you are shooting (composition) and how best to shoot it (camera settings).

Learning is a long process (you should never stop) so enjoy the process and the "EUREKA" moments that you will have.

My Gear
neilwood32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of April 2010 (Sun)   #8
Radwa

Thank you neilwood32 for your useful advices , i think suzy is right . if i did not have any direction i won't get anywhere fast. may be it is the best way to start with ordering the book and take some shots outside , and i will upload my shots for you guys to see and comment about it .
Thank you guys for your great help .
Old 18th of April 2010 (Sun)   #9
DreDaze
Cream of the Crop

yeah that book is really great...get it, and take the book, your manual, and your camera out, and practice/experiment...but also posting pictures here, and asking questions can really help you improve as well
DreDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of April 2010 (Sun)   #10
Radwa

Thank you DreDaze , sure i will post my pictures and see the comments , as i am sure it will help me to improve
Old 18th of April 2010 (Sun)   #11
dche5390

I'm going against the grain and report that I didn't get much from Peterson's book. Admittedly I don't learn anything from books. I learn from hands-on experience.

Photography is subjective. It is a journey. It is very rare that you get to a level that you're happy with immediately.

Shoot more. Post them up for critique. Be open to comments but also develop your own sense of photography. Don't give up.

I fell into a rut for a period of a few months and didn't touch my gear. I suppose I was feeling abit lazy when it came to processing all the photos in LR. Only when asked to shoot a particular event for work did I regain my interest and pick up my camera.
dche5390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of April 2010 (Wed)   #12
PhotosGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radwa View Post
Thank you Josepi for your replay , i guess The focusing is ok, i just can't deal with Exposure well .
I shoot a lot of cars that have chrome that will throw off the meter, so I use this to be sure that the bright areas "at the right" are the bright areas I want to keep, & I can measure Incident light in much the same way as hand held meter does it:
Need an exposure crutch?

Try using manual. For a good starting point, first set the f-stop OR shutter speed you need for the effect you want. Then the other parameter: shutter speed or f-stop. Then adjust the ISO.

Why?
Post #47

Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?

New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.
PhotosGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of April 2010 (Wed)   #13
egordon99
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radwa View Post
Hello,
read alot of articles about photography , but my shots still not professional
I think it takes a lot more than reading some articles to get "professional" shots. I think actually shooting for years and years might be a better path to go down
egordon99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of April 2010 (Fri)   #14
bdeitemeyer

I agree with egordon99, reading will only take you so far. You need to gain hands-on experience and over time you'll progress.
bdeitemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote