Thread started 18 Jul 2005 (Monday) 05:23   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

monkey_wrench
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2005
1,061 posts
Manchester England
[MORE/SHARE]

All these images were so hard to judge and im sorry if my opinion doesn’t match that of your own but I guess that’s the hard part of being a judge. THANKYOU ALL FOR TAKING THE TIME AND ENTERING!

1st Place – Marie - a quiet moment

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/image/33260932/original.jpg

This image has everything! The shadow is perfect and the subject gives me a sense of peace and tranquility just looking at it a clear winner from my point of view. It makes me wonder what’s going through that little woman’s head maybe getting over the death of a loved one and turning to god for guidance. Or maybe she missed the day of the funeral?? Jk! This picture has got 1st prize congratulations Marie!!

2nd Place – In Japan - Praying in Numbers

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]
Very close 2nd place! Another outstanding image the detail on the hands is excellent and the obvious corrosion just adds to the feel of the shot. These shots were very difficult to judge and 2nd place is excellent but maybe not getting that final edge to push it up to 1st. Looking at the image makes me want to see more of the surroundings and what these statues were built around.

3d place – Mega Trixel - Rustic Peace

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://www.pbase.com/i​mage/46256148.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

Another tough one to place as 3rd could easily of been 2nd or maybe even 1st the first thing that runs through my head when looking at this shot is what was buried there? maybe a family pet? The way the plants have overgrown the cross adds a feel of sadness that something that was obviously loved enough to have a cross made for it that seems to have been forgotten in time. EXCELLENT!

Other contestants.

Jlm - Holly Week: Pains' Virgin

Nice idea and subject but in my opinions theres maybe too much blue and angle abit awkward. I love the head piece and the way it powers through the blue.

Abat – Quiet Prayer

I love it! Very close for 3rd and 2nd place the ceiling is beautiful and the angle is lovely I wonder whats she is praying for.

99em1si - Contrast on Sunday Morning

I would of liked to this shot again maybe with the contrast pulled down a touch and maybe abit of selective colouring would make it nicer I like the lines of the building and the way the main point seems to grab the attention of the viewer.

Boutty - Awareness ---> Unity ---> Peace

I really like the idea and angle behind this shot especially the idea of peace between the two the handshake looks very friendly and firm im guessing this shot was staged? Unless you roll around on the floor with your camera…..i suppose we have all been there lol.

Bryan Bedell – Choirgirls

Again another contender for the top 3, in my own opinion I think it could use a bit of cropping on the left to bring out the people more but apart from that I really liked this shot. When I first saw this shot I instantly thought it was a girl dancing on stage whilst the others stood and watched and the use of the time delay was well worth the experimentation.

Gewb - It's (still) Greek To Me

I wasn’t to sure on this shot at first I like the shade of orange in the sky but maybe abit too much black and the sun seems to burn the silhouette on the left hand side maybe if you weren’t going 75mph you could of setup for a top 3 finish J

Jesshen - The Light of Piety

I like the colours in the stained glass nothing jumps out at me tho and the walls seem alittle bland I don’t think you should have cropped as much off the top and bottom and kept the whole shape of the window.

Rayzorb - Little Booties

I really liked the idea of this shot and way it doesn’t actually look like a cake more like a white sheet covering a wooden cross it has a very soft feel could of done with abit more focus on the other decorations but I like this shot a lot.

Teekay - Tlingit Totem

I love the totem pole!! The colours are wonderful and the idea is very smart the only thing that stopped this from being in the top 3 was the background, personally a bluer sky and maybe some white puffy clouds could of set off the image even better!

Dchemist - trying to understand

The colours of the statue are great! And the shadow on the face adds character to the image the only thing that kinda puts me off the image is the location the statue is set in, the two don’t mix IMHO.

Alexandre Gabriel - Cathedral Roof - Caxias do Sul, RS, Brazil

Is exactly what it says on the tin! The cathedral roof on the Caxias do sul. RS, Brazil. no real thought provoking story to the image just beautiful artwork. I don’t mean to be harsh.

Txfirebug - St. Mary's

I believe this need alittle more post processing seems to be alittle too washed out and out of focus needs a boost, for example around the trees on the right hand side seem to have a white border round them.

Am_pitbull_terrier - Religion....2005

Love the idea!!!!! Genius! The idea of a website being able to give “advanced research to matters in religion” is farcical, you could write a million pages on every religion in the world and not have touched the surface of religion itself! Close call on top 3.

I apologize now if I seem abit harsh on some of the shots I have just this second finished a 15 hour shift at work and I’m feeling abit tired….oh and I apologize for my spelling and grammar too haha

SEE YOU ALL NEXT ROUND!!!!

Over to you Marie :D

Post #1, Jul 18, 2005 05:23:29

Canon 5D - Canon 30D - 12-24mm Sigma - 24-105mm Canon L - 18-200mm Sigma - 2x 580ex flash guns

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
in ­ Japan
Joined Apr 2003
185 posts
Hiroshima, Japan
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks Monkey_Wrench for choosing such an interesting topic and for choosing my photo for 2nd. I really enjoyed going to various shrines and temples in the area and looking for inspiration. Actually, I took my photo at Daisho-in Temple on Miyajima Island (near Hiroshima). I also appreciate your kind words and we all appreciate the time you put in on judging the competition. I doubt if I could type a coherent sentence after working 15 hours. Mega Trixel...awesome photo. I'd be interested in hearing the story behind it (if you know). And congrats Marie on another 1st place finish! Your shot was magic and well worth the top prize.

Post #2, Jul 18, 2005 07:01:17

There's no day but today.

jlm
Joined May 2005
34 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hello,

when I saw the In Japan's picture I thought it was obviously the winner... but then the Marie's one came... I agree it deserves the price. Congratulations to the winners!
Many thanks for your comments on my photo (for your information the angle is not to be elected, as the image is being ported on the shoulders of people, and it is there 2 m on top of your head...) and the time you devoted to this... I do not want to win, never!
Kind regards,

Post #3, Jul 18, 2005 12:04:14

jlm
Canon EOS 450D + Grip BG-E5 + Canon EF-S 18-55 IS + Canon EF-S 55-250 IS + Canon EF 50 1.8 II + Canon SpeedLite 420EX + Canon IXUS70

abat
Joined Jan 2004
355 posts
Sydney, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

What an interesting topic, what a great variety of entries and what great judging and comments. Monkey_wrench, you've done well!

Marie: beautiful shot, lighting, mood, atmosphere, composition - everything beautiful, just beautiful. In Japan: You have a great eye for subject and composition. I really liked your shot. And Mega trixel: I originally skimmed past your shot so I am glad it made it to the winners circle and I got to look at it again. It's very subtle but it's very nice none-the-less. Congratulations all.

Hard to list all my other favourites but high up there was Boutty. This shot has so much impact, the original perspective, the eye contact, the unwritten story - a big favourite. Dchemist: Great story and nicely shot to boot. And Bryan Bedell: This has beautiful colour and I like the blur. I liked your story behind it too.

My shot took advantage of two of the G's greatest strengths - silent operation and swivel screen; Whatever you do, try using the G-series at high ISO. A little bit of post processing really cleans the shots up quite nicely.

Look forward to this week with Marie.

Post #4, Jul 18, 2005 13:49:06 as a reply to jlm's post 1 hour earlier.

G5, 30D, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Kenko 1.4x and 420EX.

MegaTrixel
Joined Sep 2004
580 posts
Anchorage, Alaska
[MORE/SHARE]

Thank you Monkey_wrench!

Thanks In Japan and Abat for your kind comments.

Unfortunately, I don't know the story of the grave site in my picture. But I suspect it holds someone's pet. And given that it's located a long way from the nearest road... it was probably a small pet :).

If I were to critique my own shot, I would say it's not very pretty but it evokes a mood. It's putting a mood or an emotion in a photo that I find hardest to do.

But Marie... she can combine beauty and emotion in the same shot! Nice work Marie! A deserving first place picture.

Post #5, Jul 18, 2005 16:30:56 as a reply to abat's post 2 hours earlier.

Avalanche!!! And Other Alaska Imagesexternal link

sponsored links
marie
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2002
21,057 posts
republic of Ireland
[MORE/SHARE]

thank you very , very much for such lovely words about the picture

I am in shock
I really mean it

(since
I saw my picture come up now)
http://www.photography​-on-the.net ...ages/smilies/icon_e​ek.gifexternal link
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

I never even thought of the competition earlier today when I was on the forum
http://www.photography​-on-the.net .../smilies/icon_redfa​ce.gifexternal link

I am so sorry. I didn't know the results were up Monkey
I thought it would be later tonight
what bad manners
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)

Congratulations to all who took part, especially to second aand third place In Japan and Mexa Trixal.

for some reason I never like to pass any remarks about any of the pictures in the competition as I don't like to have favourites when a lot of people are involved.

but at the same time I love reading all the others remarks about all the shots. any or all of them
I have my own winners in my mind's eye and as it is not always the view of the person doing the picking I keep my mouth shut in case any one at all is offended
but I don't think they are when I read other's comments. so just want to say that's why I say nothing .

I have to live with myself
http://www.photography​-on-the.net ...ages/smilies/icon_l​ol.gifexternal link
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)

thank you for all the trouble in choosing the winners Monkey ,especially as you were working late .
we appreciate yours and other judges parts in all this

I have absolutely no idea what subject for the next comp. yet
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)

never thought it would be my turn

hopefully I may be inspired in my sleep tonight
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)

thank you all again, very much

I appreciate all of your kindnesses
http://www.photography​-on-the.net ...es/smilies/icon_smi​le.gifexternal link

now to say a quite prayer for guidence in choosing the next subject

(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)

In Japan
I can only see a red X for your shot here so in case anyone else can only see that
the url with all the pictures is here >

http://www.photography​-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=84934

and Thank you again Monkey for doing the job

Post #6, Jul 18, 2005 17:17:03 as a reply to MegaTrixel's post 46 minutes earlier.

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

Boutty
Joined Mar 2005
925 posts
Melbourne, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Monkey_wrench, you have chosen a fantastic topic and very well done for the great comments. And congratulations to marie, in Japan & MegaTrixel - for your well deserved winning photos.

Also many thanks to Monkey_wrench and abat for your kind comments. I knew my photo won't make the top list as I wanted to go outside of the square a bit for this topic. Technically I used the G's strength - the swivel screen, to take a worm's eyes view of the handshake. Through it, creatively I wanted to pass on the peace message which showed two men with different race, religions shaking hands with warmth and joy. In today's world with so much hatred happening it is still possible to share the love & warmth feeling amonst different race. Gee I felt good. :p

Happy clicking,
Boutty

Post #7, Jul 18, 2005 19:54:28 as a reply to marie's post 2 hours earlier.

teekay
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2001
1,709 posts
British Columbia, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Congratulations Marie!

Although I haven't been in agreement with some of the recent first places (I hasten to add none of mine deserved to win so it's not just sour grapes) as soon as I saw yours this time I knew it should take No. 1 spot. Simple, powerful, great composition....

Post #8, Jul 18, 2005 23:30:27 as a reply to Boutty's post 3 hours earlier.

Zero
Joined Apr 2005
73 posts
Toronto, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Big congrats to Marie, in Japan and MegaTrixel. I think it is really nice to have feedback for all the photos as well, so good work on that Monkey_Wrench. Marie, that is a fantastic photo, and well deserving the place.
Boutty, I must add that I really liked your photo, and the sentiment expressed above. A really great shot that really did take advantage of the swivel. One of the reasons I am really loving the G6.

I was curious about Dchemists' photo... It almost looked like something from Easter Island.

and Am_pitbull_terrier, LOL. Since i work in tech, I think that computers and the Net have become our newest Gods. heh.

Post #9, Jul 19, 2005 06:50:00

Boutty
Joined Mar 2005
925 posts
Melbourne, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Zero wrote:
Boutty, I must add that I really liked your photo, and the sentiment expressed above. A really great shot that really did take advantage of the swivel. One of the reasons I am really loving the G6.

Really appreciated your kind words Zero. Please come and join in the fun with us next contest!?!

http://www.photography​-on-the.net ...ges/smilies/icon_wi​nk.gifexternal link

Post #10, Jul 19, 2005 07:14:09 as a reply to Zero's post 24 minutes earlier.

txfirebug
Joined Nov 2004
91 posts
Texas USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Congrats to the winners. This was another interesting topic with some great entries. Unfortunately I had a very busy week and snapped my shot through the car window while driving by. I must agree with the others about the winners chosen, I believe I would have picked the same ones. Great job.

Post #11, Jul 19, 2005 08:16:47 as a reply to Boutty's post 1 hour earlier.

sponsored links
marie
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2002
21,057 posts
republic of Ireland
[MORE/SHARE]

thank you all very, very much
it is much appreciated

the shots look even better later when we see them
and thanks for taking part
it would be no use without all of us

http://www.photography​-on-the.net ...es/smilies/icon_smi​le.gifexternal link

Post #12, Jul 19, 2005 13:55:25 as a reply to txfirebug's post 5 hours earlier.

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,445 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #23 Religion - WINNERS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES