Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 27 Apr 2010 (Tuesday) 08:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Small favour to ask - 200mm vs 400mm comparison photos

Andy_Cam
385 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Netherlands
Apr 27, 2010 08:43 |  #1

Hi all,

I am thinking about getting a 2x converter to go on a 70-200 and was curious to know how much closer the extra 200mm gets you.
I was playing with a 75-300 at the weekend, and the difference between the 200mm and 300mm shots really was not that great, in effect, I could save my money and just crop the image to get the same framing.

Are there any sites which show the different focal lengths, both on subjects close to the lens and further away? Or has anybody here already taken the shots as a test?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Andy

Gear | flickrexternal link

sponsored links
phreeky
Goldmember
3,471 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Australia
Apr 27, 2010 08:46 |  #2

Just take a shot of something at 100mm and 200mm with your current gear, then compare.

It is a very significant difference IMO.

rvdw98
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Netherlands
Apr 27, 2010 09:56 |  #3

Andy_Cam wrote in post #10074631external link
Are there any sites which show the different focal lengths, both on subjects close to the lens and further away?

http://www.tamron.com ...cal-length-comparison.phpexternal link

No close subjects, but you'll get the general idea.

Roy

moreover
63 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Golden, Colorado
Apr 27, 2010 10:13 |  #4

Another thing to consider is full frame versus crop body. If you have the luxury of working with a full frame camera like the 5d or 5dmk2 a cheap solution would be to buy a crop factor body to multiply your reach by 1.6
For instance, I cheaply acquired an ancient pro Nikkor 300/f2.8 AI-S (external link) (which works fine with a locking EOS adapter ($35, chipped for focus confirmation) on my 5dMark2, even with the 1.4x extender).
I just bought a Nikon D5000 just to work with the Nikkor, and it gets me a 500mm 2.8. The D5000 has a superb quiet mode so here's my ticket to sensitive event photography.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Andy_Cam
THREAD ­ STARTER
385 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Netherlands
Apr 27, 2010 10:25 |  #5

phreeky wrote in post #10074640 (external link)
Just take a shot of something at 100mm and 200mm with your current gear, then compare.

It is a very significant difference IMO.

100-200 is a significant difference, as is 25-50. The longer the focal length, the smaller the difference the mm's make though. It was only when I saw the difference between 200-300 that I realised how much.

rvdw98 wrote in post #10075019 (external link)
http://www.tamron.com ...cal-length-comparison.php (external link)

No close subjects, but you'll get the general idea.

Perfect! Just what I was after. Thank you.

moreover wrote in post #10075126 (external link)
Another thing to consider is full frame versus crop body. If you have the luxury of working with a full frame camera like the 5d or 5dmk2 a cheap solution would be to buy a crop factor body to multiply your reach by 1.6
For instance, I cheaply acquired an ancient pro Nikkor 300/f2.8 AI-S (external link) (which works fine with a locking EOS adapter ($35, chipped for focus confirmation) on my 5dMark2, even with the 1.4x extender).
I just bought a Nikon D5000 just to work with the Nikkor, and it gets me a 500mm 2.8. The D5000 has a superb quiet mode so here's my ticket to sensitive event photography.
NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

I have a 5DII but my budget only stretches to an extender, not a new body sadly. :)

Gear | flickrexternal link

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,566 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Utah, USA
Apr 27, 2010 12:51 |  #6

Andy_Cam wrote in post #10075193external link
100-200 is a significant difference, as is 25-50. The longer the focal length, the smaller the difference the mm's make though. It was only when I saw the difference between 200-300 that I realised how much.

Each mm makes less of a difference, but doubling the mm always doubles the "Reach". The difference between 200-400 is the same as doubling any other focal length, so same as 12-24, 50-100, 100-200, 500-1000.

I have a 5DII but my budget only stretches to an extender, not a new body sadly. :)

A used 20d or 30D is about the same price as a Canon brand extender, so you might consider it an option. You won't have to sacrifice AF performance or deal with light loss and CA, either.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickrexternal link
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sponsored links

3,944 views & 0 likes for this thread
Small favour to ask - 200mm vs 400mm comparison photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.