video issues with new rebel T2i

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing
Thread started 02 May 2010 (Sunday) 17:54   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

phil_5
Joined May 2010
28 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Just trying out my new T2i and after shooting my first very short videos and playing back on my pc, I'm getting very poor video. Vid starts very slow motion then freezes as audio keeps going. Thought it might be an outdated video card issue so I played on my laptop which is 64 bit dual core with Nvidia quadro fx 2500m. It's better but far from good. I'm getting a pulsating video now. Anyone have any advice on this.
Thanks

Post #1, May 02, 2010 17:54:02

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
LSV
Joined Feb 2010
335 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Don't use quicktime. Make sure your video card drivers are updated to the newest you can, and then use windows media player/ windows media center, VLC, or MPC-HC (MPC-HC should be top choice, followed by windows media player, THEN VLC)

Post #2, May 02, 2010 18:42:44

phil_5
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2010
28 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks LSV,
Downloaded MPC-HC and got some improvement. Still playing in slow motion and trailing and I got no audio this time?? Checked for driver updates and none available.

Post #3, May 02, 2010 19:11:48

LSV
Joined Feb 2010
335 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

phil_5 wrote in post #10108984external link
Thanks LSV,
Downloaded MPC-HC and got some improvement. Still playing in slow motion and trailing and I got no audio this time?? Checked for driver updates and none available.

No audio due to stupid apple proprietary codec used. Media Center will support DXVA (hardware decoding) and the audio as well, but doesn't look as good and takes more rendering power than MPC-HC.

http://www.nvidia.com ...ex.aspx?lang=en-us&ptid=3external link for drivers
http://www.microsoft.c​om ...71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3external link for directx (and DXVA)

Post #4, May 02, 2010 19:19:09

lecherro
Joined Aug 2007
786 posts
Garland, Texas (Outside Dallas)
[MORE/SHARE]

"Stupid Apple Codec" Why not use quicktime to playback h.264??? Maybe its the fact that your playing full size hd files. Mayne look at ram, drive speed, other factors. If MPC-HC plays it then great. but i dont think we can blame the codec. of course anything is possible. H.264 had some good qualities.

Post #5, May 02, 2010 21:04:04

First step........ Take the lens cap off.

sponsored links
LSV
Joined Feb 2010
335 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

lecherro wrote in post #10109577external link
"Stupid Apple Codec" Why not use quicktime to playback h.264??? Maybe its the fact that your playing full size hd files. Mayne look at ram, drive speed, other factors. If MPC-HC plays it then great. but i dont think we can blame the codec. of course anything is possible. H.264 had some good qualities.

Quicktime is not SSE3, 4, or 4.2 compatible last i knew (definitely not 4.1 and 4.2, which lower h264 decode times thanks to lower number of clocks needed for certain matrix operations). Not DXVA or EVR, or even DX9 compatible. Limited number of decoder threads and no deblocking options. Even adobe flash is better at decoding. We can blame it on the codec, for not all codecs are built the same. FFMPEG-mt based ffdshow can decode most 720p and some 1080p files on my laptop. 5dmkii can go a second or two before skipping. Quicktime on my Core i7 920 desktop will skip with 5dmkii files. Even an ten fold increase in processing power isn't enough for quicktime.

On OSX though, quicktime works fine.

Post #6, May 02, 2010 21:49:41

Terjay
Joined Nov 2008
448 posts
Ylöjärvi, Finland
[MORE/SHARE]

Full HD Quicktime on my Core i7 920 (and my dual core laptop) works fine, just keep it up to date.

Post #7, May 03, 2010 06:50:15

lecherro
Joined Aug 2007
786 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

LSV wrote in post #10109768external link
On OSX though, quicktime works fine.

Sounds like windows or some of it other components is the problem. Not Quicktime. I have never had probs with QT on Mac or PC.

Post #8, May 03, 2010 08:16:29

phil_5
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2010
28 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Well I guess I have to confess that I'm pretty new to video, although I've been into digital stills for awhile now. So most of this thread is over my head. I would never have thought that it would be so difficult to lay down some quality video without all this techno dancing. I know this isn't a camera issue but I am still unable to view clean video on my pc or laptop. Pc's hopeless unless someone can point out some rookie issue that I am missing. Laptop is better but still horrible. Your responses are extremely appreciated but maybe I need a good book recommendation to figure out all this codec stuff? I just wanted a good system for shooting video of my work and getting it onto my web site without all this hastle.
I should add that I didn't see my vc upgrade listed on Nvidia's site. Everything but. Is there another driver I should download. I have a quadro fx 2500m.

Post #9, May 03, 2010 09:26:49 as a reply to lecherro's post 1 hour earlier.

lecherro
Joined Aug 2007
786 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I am with you Phil_5. Lots of the number spouting tends to confuse more than help. I always try to make sure I have all the updates to software, QT or otherwise, and make sure they are installed properly. I have never had the problems with QT but i have always had pretty fast and well maintained coputers as I work in a post house environment. It is not a requirement to know all these names and gadgets but sometimes it can help. Remember that lots of things can effect your playback. Ram, not enough or not properly used, video card may not be fast enough, new or updated codecs. It is also a possibility drive speed is not fast enough. Your drives have to be able to pass a certain amount of info for the picture to run right. 5600 rpm drives Should be fast enough in most cases. Also other programs running???? Sometime you may just need a good old reboot. Good luck.

Post #10, May 03, 2010 12:01:34

JLim
Joined Sep 2008
41 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

i'm running an old macbook pro and my t2i files seem to run ok...
my fans start up real quickly and sound like it's going to blow up soon, but the video seems fine.
occasionaly frames will skip if have too many programs open.

Post #11, May 03, 2010 13:53:27

sponsored links
phil_5
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2010
28 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Well, after spending a lot of time with tech support I have gotten vc driver updates for my pc and laptop, updated quicktime on both machines. and done some other misc. trouble shooting to find-
I should have been viewing the files in Zoom Browser EX to begin with because that's giving me, by far, the best playback. I'm still getting garbage on quicktime and MPC on both machines. I am now able to get a near perfect playback on the laptop using ZB EX but still junk on the PC. I've come to the conclusion that the pc is just not up to speed with 2g hard drive and 1g of ram. Getting blue, pulsating, slow video playback (pc only). Guess I'll have to stick to the laptop. Now I need a good overview of the process of getting the correct vid compression/editing and uploading to the web. Any good book recommendations will be hugely appreciated.
Thanks all for all of your valuable input!

Post #12, May 03, 2010 17:06:36 as a reply to JLim's post 3 hours earlier.

LSV
Joined Feb 2010
335 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

phil_5 wrote in post #10114623external link
Well, after spending a lot of time with tech support I have gotten vc driver updates for my pc and laptop, updated quicktime on both machines. and done some other misc. trouble shooting to find-
I should have been viewing the files in Zoom Browser EX to begin with because that's giving me, by far, the best playback. I'm still getting garbage on quicktime and MPC on both machines. I am now able to get a near perfect playback on the laptop using ZB EX but still junk on the PC. I've come to the conclusion that the pc is just not up to speed with 2g hard drive and 1g of ram. Getting blue, pulsating, slow video playback (pc only). Guess I'll have to stick to the laptop. Now I need a good overview of the process of getting the correct vid compression/editing and uploading to the web. Any good book recommendations will be hugely appreciated.
Thanks all for all of your valuable input!

Pulsating blue screens mean some sort of low end failure. If you ran the DX update (second link), only two things it could be are bad graphics driver or outright vram failure, both of which can cause slow playback or no playback.

Post #13, May 03, 2010 17:10:48

phil_5
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2010
28 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I did run the directx update and nothing changed. Still blue and hanging. Now if that's not a setup for a punchline.......,

Post #14, May 03, 2010 18:50:23 as a reply to LSV's post 1 hour earlier.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,959 views & 0 likes for this thread
video issues with new rebel T2i
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES