Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd of May 2010 (Mon)   #1
Michael Wells

Default POTN SPEED CHALLENGE #274-HIGH KEY

Challenge #274 - HIGH KEY

Back in challenge #191, Boutty had us explore low key photography. This time, we'll let the pendulum swing the other way and explore high key photography. If you need help, or examples, simply enter "high key photography" into your search engine...there is plenty of information to be had on the internet. ENJOY!

While I have found a number of descriptions, definitions, and explanations of high key photography, I personally find them to be a bit "mystical", for lack of a better word. You all delivered in spades this week, and while there were not a lot of entries, I still had a tough time sorting them out. Well done, to all of you!!

Boutty-Johnnie Walker (Blue)...Simple, striking, and very effective in my opinion!

teekay-Mermaid in a Glass Prison...While I liked the concept of the picture, the overall tone was a bit too gray for my taste, and your edit left what appears to be a lot of digital artifacts in and around the subject that I found distracting.

Kevan_G9-Snow Tiger...I had a love/hate thing going with this picture all week. I absolutely loved the tiger, but in this high key setting, the big black rock in the foreground is a distraction. ( I actually preferred it before your edit.) Since I have no idea what you started with, I'll just ask, because if you can do it, I'd love to see it. Could you take a copy of your pre-edit entry, and do a crop of just the front portion of the tiger, cropping right to the edge of the rock, keeping roughly the same proportions, but in a vertical format?

rpolitsr-Archer...I loved everything about this picture!

objetda-Indigo...While the cropped head bothered me in this one, as well as the lost detail in the right side of the face, it still works for the photo. The color contrast is very well done, and it all draws you right to her beautiful eyes. Very nicely done!

mrshobden-Contemplation...Nicely composed picture! I like the angle you chose to shoot this a lot! For me, if it was a perfect world, I'd like to see a little more detail in the subject, and less in the background, but I'm being picky here. Well done!

afkenner-Sit...Like Boutty's picture, this is simple, yet very interesting. The play between the chairs and the shadows makes for a lot of detail in a simple subject!

***This Weeks Winners***

First...rpolitsr-Archer

Second...Boutty-Johnny Walker (Blue) on the Rock Please

Third...Kevan_G9-Snow Tiger

To submit, click Post Reply and put your Photo Name in the Subject Line. Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, 10-05-2010.

Photo Submissions
  1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera (G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10, G11) or Pro 1 only.
    -
  2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
    -
  3. Size -- photo must be EXACTLY 800 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
    -
  4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
    -
  5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo Title in the message subject line.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.
  6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
    -
  7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
    -
Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please consider turning on Private Messaging in your profile.
This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. You turn this feature
on by clicking "User CP, Edit Options, Enable Private Messaging"
(about a third of the way down the page).
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

Last edited by Michael Wells : 10th of May 2010 (Mon) at 17:18.
Michael Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 4th of May 2010 (Tue)   #2
Boutty

Default "Johnnie Walker (Blue) on the rock please..."

G6 - f/4.5, 1/100 sec, ASA --
Attached Images
File Type: jpg On_the_rock__IMG_6570_web.jpg (119.0 KB, 407 views)
Boutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of May 2010 (Wed)   #3
teekay

Default Mermaid In A Glass Prison

G1

teekay is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of May 2010 (Wed)   #4
Kevan
Goldmember

Default Snow Tiger

G9:

Last edited by Kevan : 8th of May 2010 (Sat) at 06:50.
Kevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of May 2010 (Wed)   #5
rpolitsr

Default Archer

powershot Pro1
rpolitsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of May 2010 (Fri)   #6
objetda

Default indigo

G11 - 30.5mm, ISO 800, f/4.5, 1/40
Attached Images
File Type: jpg indigo.jpg (142.0 KB, 294 views)
objetda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of May 2010 (Sun)   #7
mrshobden

Default Comtemplation

G11
Old 9th of May 2010 (Sun)   #8
afkenner

Default Sit.

G10

Experimenting with: WP Photoblog | Zenphoto | Gallery

Canon 7D, Zooms, Primes, Macro, 580EXII, 430EX, G12, IXUS 75; Tamron 17-50; Sigma 30 f1.4 & EF 530 DG Super; eBay Triggers & DIY lighting paraphernalia.

afkenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of May 2010 (Mon)   #9
Michael Wells

Default Re: POTN SPEED CHALLENGE #274-HIGH KEY

POTN Speed Challenge #274-High Key, is now closed for judging. I'll get results up by tonight.

Old 10th of May 2010 (Mon)   #10
Michael Wells

Right or wrong, the results are posted at the top! Thanks to all of you for your entries!

Old 10th of May 2010 (Mon)   #11
chisel

Quite a challenge. Wonderful set of images. Good decision, Michael. I would have had a hard time selecting between the top two.
Old 10th of May 2010 (Mon)   #12
afkenner

High key may be one of those things that's hard to define, even though technical descriptions are everywhere. But it surely fits in the category of "You know it when you SEE it." I think rploitsr's "Archer" is truly a beautiful and artistic example of this genre. I SO want to learn how to make a photo that looks like that! Thanks for this interesting challenge - for whatever reason, I wanted to find and shoot a high key shot rather than reworking the post on something taken previously. Nice job everyone!

Experimenting with: WP Photoblog | Zenphoto | Gallery

Canon 7D, Zooms, Primes, Macro, 580EXII, 430EX, G12, IXUS 75; Tamron 17-50; Sigma 30 f1.4 & EF 530 DG Super; eBay Triggers & DIY lighting paraphernalia.

afkenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of May 2010 (Mon)   #13
teekay

Congratulations to Rafael and the runners up! It's rather surprising there weren't more entries to this interesting challenge - I learned a lot.

Re my own entry (Michael: "...your edit left what appears to be a lot of digital artifacts in and around the subject that I found distracting."), those are actual flaws and reflections in the glass ornament, not digital artifacts. The item is only about 3" high so every tiny flaw and bubble showed the macro shot that I had to use. I did do some editing but that didn't add any noise.
teekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of May 2010 (Mon)   #14
objetda

Congratulations to rpolitsr and the runners up. High Key was indeed a challenge since I had never attempted this.

Thankyou Michael for your comments, I was in two minds about using the whole image or crop to pull you into the face.
The original image had the head already cropped...
objetda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of May 2010 (Mon)   #15
Michael Wells

Thanks for the clarification on that, teekay...I had NO idea it was that small, and didn't really notice the "stuff" until after your edit. Nice macro!