Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing > Computers
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th of May 2010 (Tue)   #1
Ryski

Default Best Laptop for travelling photographer

Ok, so I'm planning a photography trip to Cambodia around July this year and I travel a lot for my work so the time has come to get a decent laptop. I've had a look at what is out there and the variety is truely overwhelming.
Basically I need something with a decent processor as I do a lot of editing of photos and some editing of my 5dmk2 footage. The other main issue is size and weight, I really need to keep this as low as possible, 15inch screen is ideal.
I know Macs are great but I'm not making the switch. I use PC.
I guess I need to know what kind of processor can handle video editing pretty efficiently and what laptops are out there that have this and are fairly light weight.
As for price, I'm not really looking to spend more than $1700AUD ($1565 US) Yes i want it all
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Ryan.
Ryski is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 4th of May 2010 (Tue)   #2
swalter

Default Re: Best Laptop for travelling photographer

for video, you are probably going to want to get one of the new Core i7m chips. I'd start by looking at these:

Lenovo/Thinkpad W510
Dell Studio series
Macbook Pro running Win7... lol

-Scott
Old 4th of May 2010 (Tue)   #3
aboss3
User is banned from forums

Dell Studio looks good, also the new HP's are nice as well. Remember to get one with at least 4Gb of DDR3 RAM, a big Hard Drive, and a i5 CPU. I'm sure most of them come with a nice portable video card already.
aboss3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 4th of May 2010 (Tue)   #4
czynot

i7 laptops are big and heavy. i7 latop get very hot and use alot of power. These i7 computer will come with a large power brick and you will need extra battery in the field. i7 laptop cost around 1000.00- 1500.00. Carrying the gear and large laptop will break your back. I would recommend a Atom cpu 12" latop (around 4-500.00). these netbook use very low power. battery life will last 6-7hrs and weight less than 2lbs. down side is that these netbooks do NOT come with CD/DVD ROM.
NOTE: if you do alot of photo and video editing? than Netbook/Atom cpu computer IS NOT for you. Netbook are good for transfering pic, viewing pic or minor editing of photos only. Atom cpu will not able to handle HD video.

Last edited by czynot : 4th of May 2010 (Tue) at 13:18.
czynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of May 2010 (Tue)   #5
aboss3

I have an Atom with my netbook, but not doing any photo editing at all. It only has 1Gb of ram and an 8Gb SSD.....good for internet browsing, and great with battery life. Not much good for anything else.
I also got the Tamrac messenger 5 bag for my photo gear & laptop when traveling.
But if you plan to do any sorts of photo edit or touch up on the go, you'll need a core i5/i7.
Old 4th of May 2010 (Tue)   #6
pinoyplaya

I would highly consider a MacBook Pro even if you have no intentions in switching.

I had no intentions in switching and own both a Mac and a PC (Custom Built) and I am loving my mac. It really is one of the best computers to use for professional work such as video editing, photo editing, and etc.
pinoyplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of May 2010 (Tue)   #7
rodleviton

Take your pick but for travelling purposes either the M11X or the M15X, you can't go wrong: http://www.alienware.com/Landings/laptops.aspx
Gear: Canon EOS 500D/Rebel T1i/Kiss X3 - Gripped | Canon S95 | Canon EF 24-70L | Canon EF 70-300L| Sigma 30 f1.4 | 18-55mm IS | Tamron 18-270/10-24/17-35 | EF 50 f1.8 II | Tokina 100 Macro | Speedlite 270EX | Helios 85 f1.5 | Jupiter 9 85 F2 | Helios M44-4 58 f2 | Jupiter 135 f3.5 | Mir 1V 37 f2.8 | Industar 61 50 MC f2.5 | Industar 50 F3.5 | Pentacon 30 f3.5 | TAIR 11A 135 f2.8 |
Flickr
rodleviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of May 2010 (Tue)   #8
Ryski

Thanks so much guys. All very helpful.
The Alienware laptops look great but are simply too heavy, the 15inch weighs in at 4.08kg
Macs are great but too expensive. And I don't think a netbook will be suitable.
I really like the look of the Sony E series, there is an i5 2.4GHz that weighs about 2.7kgs.
Also The Hp Pavillian dv4 looks pretty nice, it has similar features to the sony.
Anyone have any experience with these?
Ryski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of May 2010 (Wed)   #9
aboss3

http://www.deals2buy.com/r/61010122.htm
Old 5th of May 2010 (Wed)   #10
doubleo6point9

Not sure how much this helps but I'm kind of in the same boat as you with the exception that I won't be using video since neither my MKIII or 5D classic have that feature. I plan on taking a trip with to Cambodia with my girlfriend to document her experience as she attends an advanced Classical Cambodian Dance bootcamp of sorts. Should be there for about two weeks but I picked up the new 15" i5 Macbook Pro with an external 500 GB hard drive for storage space for my photos. My plan is to update my blog daily since I'm documenting the process if possible so I plan on doing a lot of editing on the go but that also depends on what kind of internet connection I'll have while over there.

I know the Macbook Pro is more expensive than an PC but I personally feel the construction, weight and relative compactness (compared to most laptops out there that are 15") are worth the price. I know you said you don't have any plans to switch but I still suggest that if you can try one out (find anyone with the new Macbook Pro or even heading out to an Apple store to see it in person if you can't find anyone). You can also run Win 7 in bootcamp too if that's a must.
doubleo6point9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of May 2010 (Wed)   #11
stax

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleo6point9 View Post
Not sure how much this helps but I'm kind of in the same boat as you with the exception that I won't be using video since neither my MKIII or 5D classic have that feature. I plan on taking a trip with to Cambodia with my girlfriend to document her experience as she attends an advanced Classical Cambodian Dance bootcamp of sorts. Should be there for about two weeks but I picked up the new 15" i5 Macbook Pro with an external 500 GB hard drive for storage space for my photos. My plan is to update my blog daily since I'm documenting the process if possible so I plan on doing a lot of editing on the go but that also depends on what kind of internet connection I'll have while over there.

I know the Macbook Pro is more expensive than an PC but I personally feel the construction, weight and relative compactness (compared to most laptops out there that are 15") are worth the price. I know you said you don't have any plans to switch but I still suggest that if you can try one out (find anyone with the new Macbook Pro or even heading out to an Apple store to see it in person if you can't find anyone). You can also run Win 7 in bootcamp too if that's a must.
Right. Running Windows on a Mac is easy.
stax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of May 2010 (Wed)   #12
SoundsGood

I you can up your budget a bit you might want to look at a Sony Z.

40D and a whole bunch of lenses
Canon 430EX, Kenko 1.4x, Domke F-3X, F-5XB, Zeikos grip
Zenfolio Discount Code: YGK-8U7-1GG
SoundsGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of May 2010 (Thu)   #13
aboss3

Have you checked out the Fujitsu? They don't sell at major stores like BestBuy, but have some solid laptops made in Japan. I got an S-series 5 years ago, it's a 13'3" screen, 512Mb RAM (remember it was 5 years ) & 40Gb hard drive, 1.6GHz Intel Centrino processor - all weights under 4 lbs.
www.fujitsu.com. They're not cheap, but well worth the price.
http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/...tomizes760.gif
Old 6th of May 2010 (Thu)   #14
Morto

Quote:
Thanks so much guys. All very helpful.
The Alienware laptops look great but are simply too heavy, the 15inch weighs in at 4.08kg
Macs are great but too expensive. And I don't think a netbook will be suitable.
I really like the look of the Sony E series, there is an i5 2.4GHz that weighs about 2.7kgs.
Also The Hp Pavillian dv4 looks pretty nice, it has similar features to the sony.
Anyone have any experience with these?
Both are pretty good series. The only draw back in the Sony desktop/laptop, is that they load a bunch of junk in it. I would say more then HP. A lot of the internal programs are Sony's. Yes, you can spend some time cleaning them out if you don't mind doing it. I used to sell computers couple of years ago, and I also deal with them at work on a daily basis. Sony is one of the better built as far as casing goes.

As a photographer, I would go with a Mac, but I know how pricy Macs can get. The other factor you have to look into is software. If you are ready to convert to a Mac, then you would need to buy all the mac programs. Software apps like photoshop or lightroom don't come cheap. If you have them for windows base, then I would probably stick with a PC for now.
Morto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of May 2010 (Thu)   #15
zozoka

macbook pro