Best Laptop for travelling photographer

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 04 May 2010 (Tuesday) 03:23   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Ryski
Joined Apr 2009
62 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Ok, so I'm planning a photography trip to Cambodia around July this year and I travel a lot for my work so the time has come to get a decent laptop. I've had a look at what is out there and the variety is truely overwhelming.
Basically I need something with a decent processor as I do a lot of editing of photos and some editing of my 5dmk2 footage. The other main issue is size and weight, I really need to keep this as low as possible, 15inch screen is ideal.
I know Macs are great but I'm not making the switch. I use PC.
I guess I need to know what kind of processor can handle video editing pretty efficiently and what laptops are out there that have this and are fairly light weight.
As for price, I'm not really looking to spend more than $1700AUD ($1565 US) Yes i want it all :)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Ryan.

Post #1, May 04, 2010 03:23:01

Canon 5Dmk2
http://www.hellomiss.c​om.au/external link
http://www.ryanpike.co​mexternal link
http://ryanpike.tumblr​.com/external link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
swalter
Joined Jun 2005
293 posts
San Diego, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

for video, you are probably going to want to get one of the new Core i7m chips. I'd start by looking at these:

Lenovo/Thinkpad W510
Dell Studio series
Macbook Pro running Win7... lol

-Scott

Post #2, May 04, 2010 03:50:15

http://scwalter.smugmu​g.com/external link

aboss3
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
2,616 posts
LOS ANGELES
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Dell Studio looks good, also the new HP's are nice as well. Remember to get one with at least 4Gb of DDR3 RAM, a big Hard Drive, and a i5 CPU. I'm sure most of them come with a nice portable video card already.

Post #3, May 04, 2010 11:51:15

Gear | My gear is changing faster than I can update the signature
VoyageEyewearexternal link

czynot
Joined Sep 2008
197 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

i7 laptops are big and heavy. i7 latop get very hot and use alot of power. These i7 computer will come with a large power brick and you will need extra battery in the field. i7 laptop cost around 1000.00- 1500.00. Carrying the gear and large laptop will break your back. I would recommend a Atom cpu 12" latop (around 4-500.00). these netbook use very low power. battery life will last 6-7hrs and weight less than 2lbs. down side is that these netbooks do NOT come with CD/DVD ROM.
NOTE: if you do alot of photo and video editing? than Netbook/Atom cpu computer IS NOT for you. Netbook are good for transfering pic, viewing pic or minor editing of photos only. Atom cpu will not able to handle HD video.

Post #4, May 04, 2010 13:15:37

5D MKII, 24-70mm L, 18-55mm IS,70-200mm 2.8L IS, 50mm 1.8, 100mm Macro, 2-580EX

aboss3
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
2,616 posts
LOS ANGELES
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

I have an Atom with my netbook, but not doing any photo editing at all. It only has 1Gb of ram and an 8Gb SSD.....good for internet browsing, and great with battery life. Not much good for anything else.
I also got the Tamrac messenger 5 bag for my photo gear & laptop when traveling.
But if you plan to do any sorts of photo edit or touch up on the go, you'll need a core i5/i7.

Post #5, May 04, 2010 13:19:19

sponsored links
pinoyplaya
Joined Mar 2010
948 posts
Minneapolis, MN
[MORE/SHARE]

I would highly consider a MacBook Pro even if you have no intentions in switching.

I had no intentions in switching and own both a Mac and a PC (Custom Built) and I am loving my mac. It really is one of the best computers to use for professional work such as video editing, photo editing, and etc.

Post #6, May 04, 2010 13:28:24

flickrexternal linkCanon EOS 1D Mark III & WTB Canon 6D
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ART
Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Canon 580 EX II

rodleviton
Joined Mar 2010
801 posts
are we there yet?
[MORE/SHARE]

Take your pick but for travelling purposes either the M11X or the M15X, you can't go wrong: http://www.alienware.c​om/Landings/laptops.as​pxexternal link

Post #7, May 04, 2010 13:36:58

Gear: Canon EOS 500D/Rebel T1i/Kiss X3external link - Gripped | Canon S95 | Canon EF 24-70L | Canon EF 70-300L| Sigma 30 f1.4 | 18-55mm IS | Tamron 18-270/10-24/17-35 | EF 50 f1.8 II | Tokina 100 Macro | Speedlite 270EX | Helios 85 f1.5 | Jupiter 9 85 F2 | Helios M44-4 58 f2 | Jupiter 135 f3.5 | Mir 1V 37 f2.8 | Industar 61 50 MC f2.5 | Industar 50 F3.5 | Pentacon 30 f3.5 | TAIR 11A 135 f2.8 |
Flickrexternal link

Ryski
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2009
62 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks so much guys. All very helpful.
The Alienware laptops look great but are simply too heavy, the 15inch weighs in at 4.08kg
Macs are great but too expensive. And I don't think a netbook will be suitable.
I really like the look of the Sony E series, there is an i5 2.4GHz that weighs about 2.7kgs.
Also The Hp Pavillian dv4 looks pretty nice, it has similar features to the sony.
Anyone have any experience with these?

Post #8, May 04, 2010 19:42:42 as a reply to rodleviton's post 6 hours earlier.

Canon 5Dmk2
http://www.hellomiss.c​om.au/external link
http://www.ryanpike.co​mexternal link
http://ryanpike.tumblr​.com/external link

aboss3
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
2,616 posts
LOS ANGELES
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

http://www.deals2buy.c​om/r/61010122.htmexternal link

Post #9, May 05, 2010 12:17:10

doubleo6point9
Joined Nov 2006
523 posts
Seattle, WA
[MORE/SHARE]

Not sure how much this helps but I'm kind of in the same boat as you with the exception that I won't be using video since neither my MKIII or 5D classic have that feature. I plan on taking a trip with to Cambodia with my girlfriend to document her experience as she attends an advanced Classical Cambodian Dance bootcamp of sorts. Should be there for about two weeks but I picked up the new 15" i5 Macbook Pro with an external 500 GB hard drive for storage space for my photos. My plan is to update my blog daily since I'm documenting the process if possible so I plan on doing a lot of editing on the go but that also depends on what kind of internet connection I'll have while over there.

I know the Macbook Pro is more expensive than an PC but I personally feel the construction, weight and relative compactness (compared to most laptops out there that are 15") are worth the price. I know you said you don't have any plans to switch but I still suggest that if you can try one out (find anyone with the new Macbook Pro or even heading out to an Apple store to see it in person if you can't find anyone). You can also run Win 7 in bootcamp too if that's a must.

Post #10, May 05, 2010 18:50:16

Southern California Wedding, Travel, Event and Portrait Photographyexternal link

stax
Joined Aug 2009
731 posts
Oakland
[MORE/SHARE]

doubleo6point9 wrote in post #10128742external link
Not sure how much this helps but I'm kind of in the same boat as you with the exception that I won't be using video since neither my MKIII or 5D classic have that feature. I plan on taking a trip with to Cambodia with my girlfriend to document her experience as she attends an advanced Classical Cambodian Dance bootcamp of sorts. Should be there for about two weeks but I picked up the new 15" i5 Macbook Pro with an external 500 GB hard drive for storage space for my photos. My plan is to update my blog daily since I'm documenting the process if possible so I plan on doing a lot of editing on the go but that also depends on what kind of internet connection I'll have while over there.

I know the Macbook Pro is more expensive than an PC but I personally feel the construction, weight and relative compactness (compared to most laptops out there that are 15") are worth the price. I know you said you don't have any plans to switch but I still suggest that if you can try one out (find anyone with the new Macbook Pro or even heading out to an Apple store to see it in person if you can't find anyone). You can also run Win 7 in bootcamp too if that's a must.

Right. Running Windows on a Mac is easy.

Post #11, May 05, 2010 18:57:13

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/staxnet/external link

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=865770

sponsored links
SoundsGood
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2006
1,968 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I you can up your budget a bit you might want to look at a Sony Z.

Post #12, May 05, 2010 19:22:55

40D and a whole bunch of lenses
Canon 430EX, Kenko 1.4x, Domke F-3X, F-5XB, Zeikos grip
Zenfolio Discount Code: YGK-8U7-1GGexternal link

aboss3
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
2,616 posts
LOS ANGELES
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Have you checked out the Fujitsu? They don't sell at major stores like BestBuy, but have some solid laptops made in Japan. I got an S-series 5 years ago, it's a 13'3" screen, 512Mb RAM (remember it was 5 years :D ) & 40Gb hard drive, 1.6GHz Intel Centrino processor - all weights under 4 lbs.
www.fujitsu.comexternal link. They're not cheap, but well worth the price.
http://www.computers.u​s.fujitsu.com ...hopping/customizes7​60.gifexternal link

Post #13, May 06, 2010 10:42:38

Morto
Joined Oct 2008
566 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks so much guys. All very helpful.
The Alienware laptops look great but are simply too heavy, the 15inch weighs in at 4.08kg
Macs are great but too expensive. And I don't think a netbook will be suitable.
I really like the look of the Sony E series, there is an i5 2.4GHz that weighs about 2.7kgs.
Also The Hp Pavillian dv4 looks pretty nice, it has similar features to the sony.
Anyone have any experience with these?

Both are pretty good series. The only draw back in the Sony desktop/laptop, is that they load a bunch of junk in it. I would say more then HP. A lot of the internal programs are Sony's. Yes, you can spend some time cleaning them out if you don't mind doing it. I used to sell computers couple of years ago, and I also deal with them at work on a daily basis. Sony is one of the better built as far as casing goes.

As a photographer, I would go with a Mac, but I know how pricy Macs can get. The other factor you have to look into is software. If you are ready to convert to a Mac, then you would need to buy all the mac programs. Software apps like photoshop or lightroom don't come cheap. If you have them for windows base, then I would probably stick with a PC for now.

Post #14, May 06, 2010 13:11:18

zozoka
Joined Jul 2008
38 posts
Romania
[MORE/SHARE]

macbook pro

Post #15, May 06, 2010 13:17:11

5D ; 30D ; 17-40 4L ; 24-105 4L ; 70-200 4L ; 50 1.4 ; Tamron 200-500 ; 430EX

LIST NEARBY THREADS
5,422 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Laptop for travelling photographer