FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 04 May 2010 (Tuesday) 08:03   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

MontvilleMorgone
Hatchling
Joined May 2010
3 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hello! I have recently had my G9 repaired to correct a Power-Up problem (I had the EXACT same problem with my G7 a few years ago). Suddenly, the camera would not turn on. When it happened to my G7, I called Canon and they offered to send me a reconditioned G9 for $150. I did that. When the same thing happened to the G9, Canon offered to sell me a G11. I decided to try another camera manufacturer instead since I had the same problem with two different cameras. Then I found CAMERAS & PARTS.com (a repair shop in El Paso, TX that works exclusively on Canon cameras) on the internet. They fixed my camera to better than new condition for around $100. They also said that they fix hundreds of Canons with a power-up problem every month! Apparently, a screw inside the camera works loose, falls about the camera and short out a circuit board (or something like that). It is a simple fix and the people at this repair shop are helpful, quick, and expert at fixing this problem. I highly recommend anyone who will eventually have this problem with their G9 to contact camerasandparts.com to have this problem quickly and competently repaired.

Post #1, May 04, 2010 08:03:15

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
chisel
Joined Nov 2008
187 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Others have reported this problem here. I had it happen late last year; my G9 was out of warranty. I took it to Canon service in the Chicago area and explained that it was a known problem, and they fixed it in a couple of days without charge.

Post #2, May 04, 2010 08:42:39

Canon G9, FTB, F1. Kodak Bantam F 6.3, Rollei 35

MontvilleMorgone
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined May 2010
3 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Dang . . . no charge? It would have been worth the trip to Chicago (but the cost of transportation and hotels would have put me over the $100 mark!). When I spoke to Canon, they didn't mention that this was a known problem . . . but I am glad that my camera is fixed and back in my hands!!! Thanks for your reply!

Post #3, May 04, 2010 09:47:07

chisel
Joined Nov 2008
187 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

MontvilleMorgone wrote in post #10118738external link
When I spoke to Canon, they didn't mention that this was a known problem . . . but I am glad that my camera is fixed and back in my hands!!! Thanks for your reply!

I walked in to the service center armed with information I'd learned here, and told them it was a known problem. The woman then spent 5 minutes going through their bug report database and then she wrote it up as a defect repair.

It was three days before xmas, and they pushed the repair through and had it ready for me the morning of the 24th. :D

Post #4, May 04, 2010 09:51:57

Canon G9, FTB, F1. Kodak Bantam F 6.3, Rollei 35

CarloY
Joined Sep 2009
589 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Montville,

I share your pain. Same exact problem, G9. Having read several posts and other websites/blogs, in general it seems Canon service took in the repair no-charge if within a couple months of warranty... but still seems to have denied other people and not admitted responsibility.

I initiated contact w/ Canon chicago by email, and got the 'okay send it in and we'll evaluate it for the loose screw'. (armed with info below). Only to then get a flat-rate quote of ~$150 and no admission of a known problem, and NO EVALUATION of the unit itself. I got it back and too took my camera to camerasandparts who fixed it expertly. Unfortunately, Canon never admitted to a manufacturing flaw. BTW, I did call in to try to get attention on this... but people who answer the phone do not have access to the email exchange/info... so it was hopeless. That was Aug 2009.

Much prior to that, Canon admitted a similar problem with SD950.
http://www.usa.canon.c​om ...669&keycode=2112&id​=55260external link

Others have documented the problem...
http://celticland.com ...-wont-power-on-time-bomb/external link

I guess we can thank God that Canon does not make Toyota Camry cars.

Post #5, May 05, 2010 01:58:26 as a reply to chisel's post 16 hours earlier.

G9's... enthusiast and hobby clicker... toying w/ Canon 2x Tele & Raynox .7x Wide.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
2mnycars
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
2,838 posts
Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

It's interesting that people have had different results when approaching Canon.

I truly appreciate your posts here and the link to the shop that provides such good service.

I recently had problems with my G11; on my own I was getting nowhere. Someone on the Forum interceded on my part and helped me out a great deal. (Though I did spend a $100 for extended warranty to help it happen.)

Made made me reflect how I had asked for help at the store. I manage construction for my employer, and it's often a very negative environment.

DaveL

Post #6, May 06, 2010 19:39:35

DaveL--I'm a bagaholic!
Good gear gives us freedom to pursue our passion

NaturalMystic
Joined Oct 2009
248 posts
Toronto, ON
[MORE/SHARE]

You're welcome Dave! I hope it's still running up to spec for you. Oh, don't forget, the Henry's show is this weekend at the Int'l Ctr.

Back on topic, knock on wood this doesn't happen to me, I've got 4 Canon P&S'. My wife's SD700 is starting to act up, zoom dial has gotten pretty stiff recently and it's got a few dead pixels. I've got the SD870 on standby for when it dies and will probably take advantage of Canon's trade in/upgrade/loyalty program.

Post #7, May 13, 2010 00:47:23

Regards,
Nigel
Gear: Nikon CoolPix 4300, D70, D300+grip, 18-70mm, 18-200mm VR, 50mm f1.8, 70-300mm, Canon SD700IS, SD870IS, S90, G11, 270EX, 3 x SB800, AB800, WL X1600, assorted light modifiers,

DWise
Hatchling
Joined Oct 2010
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

CarloY,
I recently had this problem with my Powershot SX10IS, and like you guys I was able to restart the camera and the error would clear... that is for about 9 months. I got the error again a couple of months ago, but this time, the camera cut off but the lens would not retract. No matter what I tried, I could not get the camera lens to retract. After trying to find a fix online and trying to fix it myself, I stumbled upon www.CamerasAndParts.co​mexternal link. This company works on Canon cameras ONLY. The customer support is very nice and respond very quickly. They always responded and made me feel like I was their only customer. Not to mention the cost of repair and shipping was less than the cost of most any cheap Point and Shoots you can't go wrong! The service is great and quick! This is one happy customer! I would recommend to anyone!

Post #8, Nov 15, 2010 10:05:25

2mnycars
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
2,838 posts
Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

DWise==welcome to the forum!

Came to see what the problem was. I had a different problem with my first G11 at startup.

Camera has an internal, not removable battery that maintains data such as date and time.

Mine wouldn't hold a charge; every time I started the camera up it would prompt for date and time. So if I was in a hurry to get a shot, I lost it.

So I'm on my second G11.

ps It was Nigel that helped me out! Saw your post above Nigel. Trust all is good.

Post #9, Nov 20, 2010 21:15:11

DaveL--I'm a bagaholic!
Good gear gives us freedom to pursue our passion

mesabassman
Joined Nov 2007
217 posts
SE Louisiana
[MORE/SHARE]

I want to second what DWise had to say about www.camerasandparts.co​mexternal link. My Wife has a G9. I had just purchased a new car for her and we brought the G9 with us. Three days before this it worked perfectly. We had the salesman take a picture and the camera would not turn on. :( I found camerasandparts and talked to a very nice Gentleman Michael over there. He explained every step of repair and even called me back letting me know the camera should arrive to me soon. For $89 plus shipping to them I have a working camera. I just wanted to let all of you know from personal experience that this company is honest and does great work.

Post #10, Jul 25, 2011 15:00:29

40D (60D on the way) | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 70-200 4L IS | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 580 EX II
Flickrexternal link
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/disksolutions/external link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
4,744 views & 0 likes for this thread
G9 power-up problem
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES