Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th of May 2010 (Tue)   #1
unbeatable

Default Blackrapid RS-4 or RS-7

after hours of research, I'm willing to take order blackrapid strap either RS-4 or RS-7. I need help choosing one of them . The only thing I notice is there is curve on the shoulder pad or I'm missing something. Help me choose one
Old 12th of May 2010 (Wed)   #2
ZCphoto
User is banned from forums

Default Re: Blackrapid RS-4 or RS-7

I have an RS4 and I can imagine a need for curve in the strap. Love the RS4 BTW!
ZCphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of May 2010 (Wed)   #3
Tanglefoot47
Goldmember

Funny I have been going over this for two days now and I to am trying to decide with one. I am kind of leaning towards the RS-7 but would love to hear from someone who has one. Or better yet someone who has had both.
Tanglefoot47 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of May 2010 (Wed)   #4
unbeatable

@Tanglefoot47

yea. hopefully someone can help us. where are you thinking of buying blackrapid?
Old 12th of May 2010 (Wed)   #5
Tanglefoot47
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeatable View Post
@Tanglefoot47

yea. hopefully someone can help us. where are you thinking of buying blackrapid?
Ebay they have a few good dealers selling them. But I am still giving the Luma loop more serious thought seems many say they like it much more and from what I see I also like the looks of it. But the BR seems like it would be easier to adjust to you
Old 12th of May 2010 (Wed)   #6
johnlo

love the RS-7. super comfortable. you will not be disappointed
My Gear List
johnlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of May 2010 (Wed)   #7
JelleVerherstraeten
Goldmember

I'm also in for a new strap and I heard many good things about the shoulder straps of blackrapid.

The difference between the RS 4 and RS5 is more storage place in the RS5, but I don't know the difference with the RS7..
Old 12th of May 2010 (Wed)   #8
Juan A

I absolutely love my RS-5. I have no experience with the other 2.
My kit : Canon 60D, Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM,& EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM,Tamron SP 150-600MM F/5-6.3 DI VC USD & AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM & 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM. Canon Speedlite 580EX II & Sigma EF-530 DG Super, Quantaray QDC900WA. Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 and 468gmrc2. Crumpler 7MDH and Tamrac Aero 3385.
Juan A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of May 2010 (Wed)   #9
Headshotzx
Goldmember

Both of them are sitting in front of me now for a review for a local photography community / website. I've been using the RS4 for awhile now, and it's been good to me. I've always found it to be slightly bulky though. The RS7 solves this by whittling down on the foamy padding and making the strap padded area slightly harder. The RS7 is definitely more grippy, and will not even SEEM to fall off the shoulders like the RS4 often did. The RS7 is slightly weightier, and with the curve, it fits more to the body, making it feel super secure, but isn't as comfy as the RS4.

The RS4 has a zippered area for 2 CF cards or 3 SD cards. Helpful for some, a useless feature for others. Ymmv.
Old 12th of May 2010 (Wed)   #10
AlanU
Goldmember

The RS-4 works (I own two). I will say it sucks since the pad will slide off your shoulder 100% of the time and I have to keep on readjusting. The BR even sucks more when you use the system on a 1d series.

I now only use the BR system as a tether system when I use my spider holster. In most cases I use the spider system without a BR but there are times where I'm in an area where footing may not be ideal so I'll tether it.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Cotton Carrier but the flash onshoe jetting out turned me off. I was intending for using the CC only for cycling. I've lost complete interest in that system after the spider can be used in many situations. I'm not a birder so wearing a CC with 400mm prime or larger does not interest me (great method for that with no flash).

If I was going for the BR system I'd go for the RS7 so it may help distribute weight better.
5dmkiii |5DmkII x 2 | 5Dc | 24LmkII | 35L |50mm f/1.4 | 85 mkII L | 100L | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 |580 EX II x2 | 430EX II | AB cybersycns | PW FlexTT5x4 | AC3 | Einstein's | Cybercommander | Vml's | PW Power MC2
AlanU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of May 2010 (Wed)   #11
unbeatable

thanks for the help guys I just ordered RS-7 from amazon. Its gonna be awkward to shoot vertical with RS-7. I'll try to figure it out to attach on the side of the camera when I get it.
Old 12th of May 2010 (Wed)   #12
itsmejson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshotzx View Post
Both of them are sitting in front of me now for a review for a local photography community / website. I've been using the RS4 for awhile now, and it's been good to me. I've always found it to be slightly bulky though. The RS7 solves this by whittling down on the foamy padding and making the strap padded area slightly harder. The RS7 is definitely more grippy, and will not even SEEM to fall off the shoulders like the RS4 often did. The RS7 is slightly weightier, and with the curve, it fits more to the body, making it feel super secure, but isn't as comfy as the RS4.

The RS4 has a zippered area for 2 CF cards or 3 SD cards. Helpful for some, a useless feature for others. Ymmv.
Hey Headshotzx You did a great review on the exchange messenger and I'm sure you will do a thorough review on these 2. Could you post up your reviews on the 2 straps? At the moment I am leaning towards the luma loop.
itsmejson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of May 2010 (Wed)   #13
snj1013

Check out the Luma Loop. Much simplier and less bulky.
Old 12th of May 2010 (Wed)   #14
Jonathan Taylor

RS-4 is much more comfortable than the luma, and I dont like that the luma doesnt have a stopper for the camera. i really noticed no difference in comfort between the 4 and the 7, but the 4 is easier to store in a smaller area when not in use. i dont think the price difference is justifiable.

just my 2 cents...
Jonathan Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of May 2010 (Wed)   #15
Tanglefoot47
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Taylor View Post
RS-4 is much more comfortable than the luma, and I dont like that the luma doesnt have a stopper for the camera. i really noticed no difference in comfort between the 4 and the 7, but the 4 is easier to store in a smaller area when not in use. i dont think the price difference is justifiable.

just my 2 cents...
Have you tried the Luma? So far your the first to say the BR is more comfortable. I do like the idea of the stopper though and I am still on the fence on which one I should buy. I also wonder how many people not liking the BR had the older version?